Another LEO encounter while CCing!

Another LEO encounter while CCing!

This is a discussion on Another LEO encounter while CCing! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We have had several threads lately concerning encounters with LEO's while carrying; here is mine. I was in East Texas recently preaching a series of ...

Thread: Another LEO encounter while CCing!

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar

Thumbs up Another LEO encounter while CCing!

We have had several threads lately concerning encounters with LEO's while carrying; here is mine.

I was in East Texas recently preaching a series of evening messages (revival sevices) for a church just outside of Carthage. Several of us got together and after service we went into Carthage to get something to eat.

By the time we were done eating it was getting close to 11:00 pm and I headed back to the motel where we were staying. I hadn't been in Carthage for several years and got turned around, ( can you say lost), anyway, I'm trying to find my turn and I see a vehicle following me. I get to the bypass and the police officer turns on his lights.

I pull over, turn on the dome light and put my hands on the steering wheel. The officer walks up and requests my registration and DL. I informed the officer that I had a CHL from Arkansas, that I was armed and how did he want to proceed.

The officer asked where the firearm was and I told him. He said; if you won't draw your weapon, I won't draw mine. He then ran my license, told me to have a good nite and sent me on my way.

He also gave me directions to the motel!

I wanted to post this because we've been hearing so much negative about the police lately. This encounter couldn't have been more pleasant.

If a policeman in Carthage reads this and remembers a lost Arkie that you stopped; May I say thanks for your professionalism.

This wasn't anything exciting, but that is how I like it!!!
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

+ as they say "now thats what i am talking about"

this is the way i believe it should go.
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    If all stops went this way, there wouldn't be much of anything negative to say. BTW, why did he stop you? Because you were driving an out of state vehicle after sun down? I'd like to believe that there was at least some kind of probable cause...

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    If all stops went this way, there wouldn't be much of anything negative to say. BTW, why did he stop you? Because you were driving an out of state vehicle after sun down? I'd like to believe that there was at least some kind of probable cause...
    I hate to say it, but I was checking cross street signs and my slowing down to check the sign and then speeding up caught his eye. When I failed to signal as I turned onto the bypass he pulled me over. He only mentioned the signal but I figure he was thinking DUI at that hour. No I really don't drink.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Then it sounds like a great stop! It's important to hear stories like this so we don't forget that some officers are doing their job quite well. It also gives perspective to the stories of drivers cuffed and/or disarmed during traffic stops with similar probable cause.

I suggest you send a letter to the Department thanking them, and their Officer, for their courtesy and professionalism.

Even if you don't have the Officer's name, word should get back to him in the form of an "atta-boy" or something.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; September 13th, 2009 at 05:15 AM. Reason: typo

Great that you had good experiences but, why is this in the off topic section?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I'm hoping my first encounter goes as good as yours did. I've yet to be pulled over and put in that situation. Glad it went well for you.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Great that you had good experiences but, why is this in the off topic section?
    Where should it go?

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Good experience, good story...
    Proud NRA member

Gunnutty,

I think you will find this is a pretty normal stop in our neck of the woods. I have yet to come across any LEO's around here or in LA (thats lower Arkansas for you foriegners) that have been concerned about concealed carry folks.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Sponsored Links