Real Incident in Knoxville - Brutal beyond all description

This is a discussion on Real Incident in Knoxville - Brutal beyond all description within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some of you may already be familiar with this case. Without doing a search, it might have even been posted here. It made the national ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

Some of you may already be familiar with this case. Without doing a search, it might have even been posted here. It made the national news.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murders...stopher_Newsom

These animals brutally raped and tortured these two before shooting the guy and leaving the girl to suffocate to death in a trash bin.

Anyway, I haven't seen any details except that they were carjacked in an apartment parking lot. I don't know how they were approached or whatever.

This goes to show that it can happen anywhere and at any time.

So in this scenario, what are your opinions to best defend against it?

1. Deep concealment, where you can later pull a gun when they least expect it, like maybe a SmartCarry or ankle rig.

2. Easily accessible carry, like IWB or OWB. But again, I know nothing of how they were approached.

So what are your thoughts about this? Of course, we'll never know if anything would have prevented it, but if you had to replace one of these two victims in that parking lot that night, what would be your thinking?
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Wow, I remember hearing about this case as a "double murder" when it happened, but I never heard the details until now. I won't be sleeping well tonight, that's for sure.

I bet the best option would have been to have both something easily accessible and then a BUG...as a female, not sure where I'd fit two pistols, but at least a backup weapon that even if disarmed could be used strategically later. Four people approaching two...I wonder if all four were armed. If the couple (God rest their souls) had been armed, would the carjackers have decided to move on to an easier target or would there have been a shoot-out in the lot? Lots of questions here...

I like to believe that if, for some reason, I was unarmed with my fiance and approached by armed thugs who wanted to carjack us...we'd still try to run, scream bloody murder, anything to get away, even at the risk of being shot in the back. I hope I would react that way. Run together or run in separate directions? I've never really thought about logistics, especially with a crowd of BGs.

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    This is why you don't take chances.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy08 View Post
    Four people approaching two...I wonder if all four were armed.
    This is where I'm still unclear; I don't know if all four of them did the carjacking or if maybe only one carjacked them and then drove them to the house where the others were waiting (there was also a 5th man involved but I forget the details). I haven't seen any clarification on this.

Maybe someone who knows can chime in?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy08 View Post
    ....as a female, not sure where I'd fit two pistols...
    As a man, I have no idea, either, or at least as far as a normal daily routine goes. I'm not a LEO so I never really think about carrying a BUG.

If I could find the specifics about how they were approached, etc.... it would probably give a clearer picture of some possible strategies.

And yes, it's a very horrific story.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

This goes to show that it can happen anywhere and at any time.
    We continue to see this show played over and over. It also shows us that there is pure evil on this earth and total disrespect for human life.

Being able to reach down into the darker part of ourselves, and invoke those same qualities which we abhor in our aggressors, and use them to the best of our abilities to ensure our own survival and continued existence.
    With or without more powerful weapons than your attackers.....you fight tooth and nail to survive in the face of despair. If you don't, you have everything to loose, and hence there's nothing left to fear but fear itself. Show evil the mirror. Each of us have it, and it must surface quickly.

So what are your thoughts about this? Of course, we'll never know if anything would have prevented it, but if you had to replace one of these two victims in that parking lot that night, what would be your thinking?
    Be aware of your surroundings. Be aware of what the human mind is capable of. Be aware of the fact that you can employ it whenever you need. Be ready.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    When hearing a story like this, the first thing people do is try to find all possible differences between themselves and the victims:

This won't happen to me because:
    1. I don't live in Knoxville
    2. I don't stay out all night
    3. That kind of crime doesn't happen in my neighborhood
    4. I don't wear the kind of stuff they were wearing
    5. There were probably drugs involved

On and on. People have to find a reason why something like this would happen because they can't deal with the idea that this sort of crime can (and does) happen without a reason.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    We

Being able to reach down into the darker part of ourselves, and invoke those same qualities which we abhor in our aggressors, and use them to the best of our abilities to ensure our own survival and continued existence.
    With or without more powerful weapons than your attackers.....you fight tooth and nail to survive in the face of despair. If you don't, you have everything to loose, and hence there's nothing left to fear but fear itself. Show evil the mirror. Each of us have it, and it must surface quickly.
    That is awesome Ram! Something i have lived by for only a short while too, but oh so true.
    "...trying to get a long gun into play while someone is all over you like a monkey eating a cupcake is not very conducive to good survival techniques." ~Bark'n

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    Some of you may already be familiar with this case. Without doing a search, it might have even been posted here. It made the national news.

Murders of Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These animals brutally raped and tortured these two before shooting the guy and leaving the girl to suffocate to death in a trash bin.

1. Deep concealment, where you can later pull a gun when they least expect it, like maybe a SmartCarry or ankle rig.
    Most LEOs will tell you to never create 2 crime scenes by allowing the BG to transport you. Your best option is an initial violent reaction. There are no rules......bite, scratch, kick, gouge, scream,... whatever it takes to make the BG move on to a softer target. You must maintain the mindset that if you're gonna die it's going to be right here on this spot, not in some wackos basement.

what I remember about this crime was the stunning silence from Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton and the national media

Update: Channon Christian and Chris Newsome *an article on the lack of media attention* Bonnie’s Blog of Crime

there was this case in which 'old Al jumped in: What is Jena 6? - Mary Mitchell

a seemly innocuous "crime" Al Sharpton felt it necessary to bring it to the nations attention. yet when 5 Blacks (with criminal pasts) did this HORRIFIC crime, there was not one word denouncing it.

I find that disturbing on several levels. By NOT denouncing this crime it shows an indifference by Al and Jesse which makes me angry and makes me question which of the Nations leaders are prejudice and which are not.

NOW!!! If someone comes up with a link that shows me that AL and Jesse did say something against this horrific crime, That might convince me to change my mind about these two guy, but for now I am unconvinced they really care about anything other than there own agenda

This is MY PERSONAL OPINION ONLY
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    +1. I agree 100%. When your life is on the line you either pray the BG will be merciful, or you reach down and set the animal inside free. You show no more mercy to them, than you would to a rabid animal. Kick, gouge, bite any part of the body available and use anything available as a weapon. As bad as it may sound, you must become more of an animal/beast than your attackers are. Survival is your goal, you fight for it until you either win, or die.

VIP Member
    I kind of remeber this but don't remeber ever hearing the out come.

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    I kind of remeber this but don't remeber ever hearing the out come.

and therein lies the problem
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

a friend of mine was chosen as a potential juror for this trial. He never told me any specifics of what he saw but was so visibly shaken after the weeklong event he was involved in, it was unnerving to see him that way. he was ultimately not chosen. i believe the trial starts this month.

One of the attackers got life 2 weeks ago. They are picking the jury for the next trial now. I know the details of the incident it is one of the most horrific things I have heard it sickens me. A lot of people are pisssed that he only got life there are still 3 more to be put on trial.

News from Knoxville:

The trials of the perps are in progress. For more information go to the News Sentinel website: Knoxville News Sentinel: Local Knoxville, Tennessee News Delivered Throughout the Day..

Here in Knoxville, the races of the perps and victims does not appear to be a major topic of discussion, or maybe that is only the case among the people I know, including other lawyers. Rather the use of drugs, the heinousness of the crimes, and the massive amount of nightmarish evidence seem to occupy people's thoughts.

In addition, more thought and discussion should be given around Knoxville to how this could have been prevented and how individuals can protect themselves, in my opinion. I am finding, however, that female judges and lawyers are getting CCWs, but this is not being discussed in the newspaper.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links