North St. Paul Office Slain

This is a discussion on North St. Paul Office Slain within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My point for posting this is that, even when someone is well trained, the BG can get the jump on you. Be aware of your ...

Thread: North St. Paul Office Slain

North St. Paul Office Slain

My point for posting this is that, even when someone is well trained, the BG can get the jump on you. Be aware of your surroundings, protect your weapon(s).

I wish Officer Crittenden's family well in this difficult time.

Here's a link to the story: Star Tribune: Officer died in a 'heroic' struggle

Excerpt:
    Crittenden, 57, was the first to enter the apartment. Dockery, 34, charged at the group, armed with a flaming, accelerant-soaked rag, according to the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. Crittenden pushed Terry and her daughter into a kitchen and closet area.

Dockery struck Crittenden in the head with the burning rag, perhaps a T-shirt, and burned Crittenden, said Tim O'Malley, BCA superintendent.

"Despite his burn, he immediately and continuously battled Dockery," O'Malley said Wednesday.

Authorities said that Crittenden fought Dockery with Olson's help, moving the struggle into the living room. The burning rag dropped to the floor, setting a rug ablaze. Space was tight, O'Malley said, and the trio scuffled with little room to maneuver.

Somehow, Dockery managed to grab the 40- caliber handgun from Crittenden's waist holster while the two engaged in a hand-to- hand struggle, O'Malley said. Dockery fired one shot into Crittenden's head at close- range, killing him. Dockery then turned the gun on Olson. The two exchanged gunfire at close-range. Authorities said a total of 14 shots were fired during the incident. Dockery was struck five times, including in his torso and leg.

One round squeezed by Dockery struck a magazine clip on Olson's belt, and fragments from an unidentified source struck Olson in her right forearm. Authorities don't know if the fragment was from the bullet Dockery fired, or a bullet in Olson's clip that exploded from the impact.

Maplewood police officer Lonn Bakke arrived, and he and Olson disarmed Dockery. From start to finish, the incident lasted between 30 seconds and a minute, O'Malley said.
    It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. - David Hume

2. Remove Ads

He should of shot the POS when he charged him with the burning rag,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    That was an intense moment in time.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    He should of shot the POS when he charged him with the burning rag,

This sounds like an example of failing to apply sufficient force in a timely manner.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

It sounds like a PEACE officer to me, who was trying to make peace out of chaos. I salute his effort to try to bring a peaceable end and not immediately go for deadly force. The end is terribly saddening. His family and friends have my sympathy.

I do not however think I would have had the moral turpitude he did. I would have shot the POS when he bum rushed me with a flaming rag.

The BG was waiting behind the door. The LEOs entered, and were immediately assaulted. There was no real time to respond with force. It is believed the BG was waiting for someone else to come in when it was the LEOs instead.
    It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. - David Hume

Links