SHTF gun shops relevence?surival/targeted?

This is a discussion on SHTF gun shops relevence?surival/targeted? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What do you think will happen to the gun shops when there is a true economic hit, stock market completely crashes and riots break out ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SHTF gun shops relevence?surival/targeted?

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania

SHTF gun shops relevence?surival/targeted?

What do you think will happen to the gun shops when there is a true economic hit, stock market completely crashes and riots break out in the cities. I'm not just talking about gun shops in the cities, I'm talking about gun shops in the outer lying rural areas.

What do you think the gun shops will do?
    Will they remain open and try to push off the rest of their remaining inventory to whoever comes in?
    Do you think they will only sell to their regular customers?
    Do you think they will keep everything for themselves and use it as a personal armory?
    (I'm assuming most gun shop owners already have a personal armory elsewhere, another private site thats well fortified, or their homes)
    Would you team up with the gun shop owner and use the shop as a base of operations?
    I think it will likely be targeted as the vermin escape from the cities and suburbs into the country side.
    Do you think gangs/marauders will try and raid the gun shops?

Have any of you discussed these things with gun shops?

2. Remove Ads

I asked this of a local gun shop owner a couple of years ago. They said they would go into a "lockdown" and would do their best to provide for their regulars. They would then evaluate the situation day-by-day.
    Last edited by rangefinder; September 15th, 2009 at 10:56 PM. Reason: really bad spelling

There is little doubt in my mind that they will become attractive targets for lowlifes when the law enforcement disappears.

The best thing the owners could do would be to bug out with their inventory when it starts getting bad.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

The BATFE will conduct business in the same manner they have been since the economy went in the toilet...close mid volume stores under threats of jail time without disclosing what the violations were. Several FFL holders across the nation have already been victims of this issue and simply don't have the $$ to challenge it, so they give up and close their doors.

I've heard of several shops in Missouri that have been closed by the BATFE for crap reasons with no proof given, just the threat that if they were told what the violation was that the owners would have to be charged. Granted, that's coming from the shop owners in the bulk of those cases. But it makes me wonder what kind of crap is going on in the BATFE that this type of agent conduct is being tolerated.

Administrator
    You bet your sweet backside that the gunshops will be the first to be 'hit' be it by thieves, legit customers or the government.
    "Just blame Sixto"

People go into business for a reason. I imagine most places will set something aside for themselves and maybe a few friends/regular customers. Other than that I expect them to sell out their inventory at premium prices and cash/gold/silver/vehicles/gems will be accepted as payment. Even then I think cash would be iffy. Might be able to get more with euros or rubles than you can with dollars.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    In a true massive SHTF situation, the NCIS background check system would be down. No background check, no sale...

Senior Moderator
    In a true massive SHTF situation, the NCIS background check system would be down. No background check, no sale...

sounds good in theory...

But if the SRHTF do you really think that the background check will matter?

I dont.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The only reason I would need to go to a gun shop would be to try and purchase what ammo I could for the calibers I need.

I would not expect to be making new gun purchases and would not want to hang out around one for very long.

I want to be as scarce as possible as soon as possible when the government comes making their rounds. And I certainly don't want to be sitting inside shooting the breeze with store staff when armed invaders come to "liberate" their inventory.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I think you should make a shop owner a gooood personal friend or your chances of buying a gun in a SHTF scenario are nil. Most shop owners will be using their stock to barter in the case of economic collapse and maybe selling to a few good friends.

In a panic the lawless amongst us are not going to care if the shop is open, they will open it themselves and steal what they want. Any smart gun shop will pull their inventory and have it well hidden.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    If we wait till then to get a firearm or ammo, it's already to late!
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnutty View Post

Indeed.

Buy plenty now and avoid the SHTF terrorist attack rush...
    If this does happen, you better be prepared. If communications are down for any time, panic will drive people into a state of frenzy.

Stay armed...stay home and hang on...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

And we have a winner!
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links