Scary situation - Had to draw today

This is a discussion on Scary situation - Had to draw today within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wow. Just read the whole thread, as I've been away from the board for awhile. I'm curious, since something intuitive told Mustang that he should ...

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Scary situation - Had to draw today

VIP Member
    Wow. Just read the whole thread, as I've been away from the board for awhile.

I'm curious, since something intuitive told Mustang that he should bring his gun on that particular trip, that particular day, does he have any insight into where that intuitive feeling came from?

Intuition often is our mind putting lots of information together for us and packaging it in some useful way. Can you think of any information you might have had that caused you to be cautious on that day? Were there recent news stories about trouble in that area?

Also, why did you proceed if you perceived a potential problem? Not criticism, just curious as to your thoughts before heading up onto that trail.

As for justification, yeah I'm with all those who say the draw was justified, and a shooting would have been too. Someone grabbing you by the neck or by your shirt collar is a threat. You can get choked out real fast.

One poster here suggested this is a situation where a knife or pepper spray would have helped. Yes, but also may have escalated. Pepper might have done nothing on a crazed ex con who had learned to fight through the pain, and while a knife slash on the arm might have momentarily caused the bg to back off the slash might have also escalated the rage.

One lesson I have just learned, though I knew it already, it is damnably hard to draw from the right side when you are wearing a seat belt. You are lucky you were able to block with your left and get the gun out.

2. Remove Ads

Would locking the door while driving have made any difference? I never think about until I see a reason walking by.

Quote Originally Posted by cass8171 View Post
    Jcabin-

Have you ever been in a situation where your life was a split second from being ended? YOU CANNOT THINK STRAIGHT. There is no other way to put it. I don't care what you THINK you will do or how you THINK you will react. All your ideas on how you will react are out the window before you can even say goodbye.
    This is exactly the way it happens, yes. At least, for me.

BTDT, a few times. Each instance, it was a challenge to handle the flood of chemicals surging through the body, threatening "tunnel vision" and altering perspective and sense of time. The best way I've found to keep it under control is: fitness, mindset, varied and effective training, repetition in training, then to do it all over again. Doesn't fix it, for me, but it surely helps control it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    This is exactly the way it happens, yes. At least, for me.

BTDT, a few times. Each instance, it was a challenge to handle the flood of chemicals surging through the body, threatening "tunnel vision" and altering perspective and sense of time. The best way I've found to keep it under control is: fitness, mindset, varied and effective training, repetition in training, then to do it all over again. Doesn't fix it, for me, but it surely helps control it.
    When you are suddenly thrust into full body alarm mode; you will default to your repetitive movements/actions learned through repetitive training.

If you have nothing ingrained in your "muscle memory" your brain will just be in a state of chaos, or simply cause you to freeze.

Not a good situation to be in when you are seconds from death.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I just read the story. That's pretty scary. I know exactly the type you're talking about.

I'm afraid that if I were in your situation, I would have gotten out of the car with a gun in my hand, and the situation would have escalated much faster, and I would have shot the guy dead.

I wouldn't regret it, as it would be justifiable, and doing so would probably save lives in the future, yet thinking about life and death after the fact always gives me pause.

That's a great quote about the gun as the great equalizer.
    9mm Walther P5 Compact

.380 and .32 Interarms Walther PPK/S

.380 and .32 Interarms Walther PPK

Try a Google advanced search on 'One punch death'. You'll get over 8 million hits! That's something you could do in court, to show the jury why someone with a CCL should not be expected to submit to a potentially lethal beating before deploying their weapon in self defense.

I read your post, and none of the responses, because I wanted to post my reaction to the story without reading all the analyzation. if I was in your position I most likely would have done the exact same thing, and I have had the misfortune of having to kill someone. I remember going on a presence patrol one night after dark, and as I was crossing an alleyway, someone shot at me. You would think that I would swivel and return fire. I didn't. Even after someone had shot at me, I wanted to make sure I was warranted in pulling that trigger. No matter what anyone in this world thinks, pulling that trigger is a one time decision, never to be altered. Personally, I would rather take a round than erroneously shooting someone. Because when I pull the trigger, it's to kill.

In my state (Virginia), the lethal defense laws state you have to proove 4 things to be justifiable in using lethal force for self defense:
    1) You did not in any way contribute to the instigation of the situation.
    2) You have retreated as far as possible.
    3) You have communicated your desire for peace.
    4) The level of defensive force (lethal) was commensurate the level of threat (lethal).

I would have probably done the same thing you did, but in VA if you had pulled the trigger and killed him you may have faced a difficult legal battle to prove all of the things above necessary in this state's laws. Know your state laws and laws of states you travel in regarding justifiable lethal force in self defense. They didn't teach that stuff in CCP class. My friend is a DA and he gave me websites to research and study the laws. I appreciated his advice because I learned a lot that I was unaware of.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Man, that was a rough situation. Glad it turned out okay. I think the worst part was how far away from everything you were. No witnesses... coulda turned into a Fish case.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Links