How would you know what to do.

This is a discussion on How would you know what to do. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Letís say you are walking in a parking lot at night to your car and you notice a person walking at you. You cut between ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Letís say you are walking in a parking lot at night to your car and you notice a person walking at you. You cut between two cars to the next isle and so does the person walking at you. You switch back and so do they. At this point you think something is going to happen. Do you go into defense mode and let them attack? Do you give them a verbal warning not knowing for sure if something is going to happen? What would you do?

Keep in mind I would never draw my gun unless I was in a life threatening situation but at the same time how would I prevent it from becoming a life threatening situation? I do have some Krav Maga training but do you really want it to get that far? I guess sometimes you just don't have a choice.

VIP Member
    I think it was P95 that had a great response in another recent thread, but I couldn't find it. Care to elaborate again, sir?
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

I would start with a loud authoritative command to "stay back" " do not approach" while I further evaluated the situation, sought cover in a casual manner, and would proceed towards my car, or if lights with human activity is nearby (e.g. building entrance), proceed towards that are, while keeping distance and continuing evaluation. The gun would be drawn, but at side, in preparation of attack. If further pressed, I would also feint a call on my cell phone (maybe even do that first?), and again warn them to withdraw. If that failed, they would be warned that I am armed, and they must withdraw immediately.

If attacked, and I fear for my physical safety (assumed), I shoot until the attacker stops.

VIP Member
    Move off line of approach, challenge verbally, and watch your six, cause if a robbery or assault has begun chances are the individual is not working alone.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

+1 Team American, I would also check my six and my sure my shooting hand is free and say:" May I help you" I would also make sure that I was in a defensive posture. This is very similar what happened to me last week. The had been on me to wash her car and I decided I would go ahead and get it done. Well, it was just starting to get dark but still somewhat sunny when a van pulled up in my condo complex and a scruffy guy jumped out. Well, I immediately felt my threat condition change and as he approached I changed my stance letting him know hey, keep your distance.

Well, he began with some off the wall question about some property in the area. But, by this time my neighbor walked up, also male and the guys wife ( a big woman) got out the van and she constantly kept her hands in her pockets. Color change for me threat increased and I let her know that I was watching her hands by my actions. I began to move and place the car between them and I by seeming to continue to clean windows. By this time the neighbors little dog is barking loundly at the guys wife where she was not barking previously and never barks when outside. Color change, something is up.

The situation to me is getting worse and I think they realize that I am not an easy target nor in this case will I let my neighbor be one because he is eldery and real nice guy. The people talk themself out of it and leave. I think what attracted them was my wifes car, it was dusk and I was at the back of the complex. Another key thing I noticed was how the woman got out of the van when my neighbor showed up and how my neighbors dog began to bark directly at the female and normally does not. Moreover, she kept her hands in her pocket. She also was large with somewhat baggy jeans or khakis on. This could have held a .38 or 9mm. More than likely the guy was armed as well because he had a jacket on pretty heavy for spring time.

This night here really made me feel good that I had more than 5 rounds a speed strip that I normally carry with the chiefs special. I had sixteen rounds of (with extra mag) of .45 165 grain Hydra shocks. This prompted and influenced me to always carry my 1911. Well be confident and let them know by your actions that you will not go easy. The first contact of a BG is to determine your ability to be a easy victim. Be safe friends....
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Hand on gun with gun side away, left hand on OC in pocket. Ask Can I help you with something? Place back close to large SUV or similar vehicle, preferably in the middle so my back is covered but not as to inhibit movement. They have to attack from front or sides. Use surrounding window reflections to detect other movement. WATCH THE HANDS.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I would try and circle back to the building I just exited if possible. I would try to find other people exiting the building and move in that direction if possible. I would seek cover and put something between the threat and me if possible. I would shine a tac light directly at the threat's face if possible. I'd set off the car's panic alarm if possible. I'd cell phone and speak to the threat. I'd have my gun out of holster but lowered until the threat appeared to be turning into an attack. I would attempt to stop the attack if possible.
    john

Lead Moderator
    as above stated, but I would use my light as the first line of defense along w/ a verbal warning. The light in BG's eyes should buy ya some time to manuver and check yer 6.
    Hand on the pistol, but not drawn. Also find some good cover if possible. keeping a car between the 2 of ya if possible while trying to back away.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Here, like in my case hand on pistol would have a been a bit to edgy because I feel that if I place my hands on the pistol in a situation like that I might as well go ahead and unholster. Pulling the pistol out just because someone seems to be threat is a bit much. However, pulling out the light seems good. Thats why I have to get myself a good light. Here you really have to trust the voice on the inside of you.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Administrator

Addition

A great thread to illustrate why you need to be able to clear leather & present your carry firearm in 1.5 seconds OR LESS!
    Less than 1.5 is (of course) better.

Having your firearm way down in your pants sleeping next to your Jingle~Berries or locked up in a Kramer Confident Shirt is just not going to "cut it" in many ACTUAL Self Defense Scenarios.

When you NEED your firearm...you are going to need it in a huge hurry.
    If it's down in your pants...with your shirt tucked in over it & you're wearing a top coat or a jacket then you might as well have left it at home.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I really don't want to have to shoot this POS. I will "advance" to the rear just so far. I will never turn my back on this guy. I will take quick,fast,glances at my 3,6,and 9. I will seek cover,something hopefully that will help protect my back. My back AND 9 or 3 would be mo betta.

I would never,ever,ever let the BG/threat get even a glimpse of my weapon.(Weapon??? What weapon???) If time,911 on cellphone.Then I would offer up the loudest, filthy mouthed,warning that I could think of.(I'm really great at this.) I would keep in mind how close to let him come. I would let him know that I am prepared to shoot/kill him.

Now another problem arises. You can't shoot someone for just walking up to you. This,no matter how close they get. In court there is no such thing as,"he invaded my space". If you see a weapon that makes your job much easier. Also,define weapon. Is what you think you saw somewhere between a nail file and a Moss 590 ?? (Another though arises.TSA has/is confiscateing all them little sissors,clippers,files,right. Can we use them in court as "the BG had a dangerous weapon" ??)

If the challenge to the BG has been made that you will shoot/kill him and he keeps advancing,he, A. means to do you some/allot of harm,or B.is auditory challenged or C. mentally challenged.That is the only reasons that I can think of for him to continue his advance after you just shouted to him that you was gonna"blow his *&^%$#@ head &^%$ off if he ^%$#@ continued to @#$%*& advance". Now whatdaya do ??

Each one of us had better have thought this out as well as possible given that no two cases are the same. I know what I'd do. Do you? -------------

That's why I carry my OC and would have my hand on it at the same time my weapon and addressed person. OC, kick in the junk, and then run.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Assistant Administrator
    Copper - not sure which thread and which response you referred to actually!

In this one I would by the stage mentioned, having had a course change mirrored twice or more - be of course pretty suspicious and be trying to decide if it was someone wanting the proverbial light - directions to some place or planning an attack. I am a pessimist so the latter would be what was tweaking my senses.

I would want for distance to be maintained and keep any vehicular cover I could between him and me. Once too close (for me) I would make a verbal request for his reason for following, also having some cover have hand on my piece. If he seems to want directions I'd suggest he stay at a distance and try and help - but if he closes further then possibly challenge that with a ''request'' to remain away.

From this point on the actions would be determined msec by msec - this part cannot for me be predicted in just a scenario excercise here. It's all down to him!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLion
    +1 Team American, I would also check my six and my sure my shooting hand is free and say:" May I help you" I would also make sure that I was in a defensive posture.
    You nailed it! I always like the "Can I help you?" approach. Far less aggressive than the "Get the @#$% away from me" line which can actually act as a sort of challenge and escalate matters.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Exclamation Be Careful About Drawing Here!

Quote Originally Posted by jclif1995
    I would try and circle back to the building I just exited if possible. I would try to find other people exiting the building and move in that direction if possible. I would seek cover and put something between the threat and me if possible. I would shine a tac light directly at the threat's face if possible. I'd set off the car's panic alarm if possible. I'd cell phone and speak to the threat. I'd have my gun out of holster but lowered until the threat appeared to be turning into an attack. I would attempt to stop the attack if possible.
    Some interesting ideas here. The SureFire light in the eyes used along with the "Can I Help You" line might work well.... But I would be very careful about any sort of draw in this situation, before something overt has happened. S'pose the guy sees it and goes to the police for reckless display or even assault? All he has to say to justify his "stalking actions" is: I thought the guy was a buddy of mine and I wanted to make contact. Of course I moved toward him. So he draws a GUN on me? I think you're going to need a little more provocation.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links