McDonald's drive through 2 am.

This is a discussion on McDonald's drive through 2 am. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So its 2am and I stop to get a bite to eat after work. I usually turn my headlights off when I go through there ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McDonald's drive through 2 am.

McDonald's drive through 2 am.

So its 2am and I stop to get a bite to eat after work. I usually turn my headlights off when I go through there and put my fogs on low so I don't blind the guy in front of me. The car in front of me is an old white Chevy Caprice. The kids in there are jumping in the cars, acting crazy. The driver then whispers something to the server. The server responds loudly,"Man, please don't do that right now." After that I hear a barrage of swear words coming out from the kids in the car.
    I ignore that since I thought they were joking with the guy.

The server then yells loudly,"Do what you want man, I'm calling the cops" and he shuts the window. All this time the driver never paid the guy. I am assuming he wanted the order on the house. So I get on the phone with 911. They wait a few seconds and then floor it out of the drive way.

All this time I was getting really nervous because I was boxed in from the front with these morons. At the back was a giant heavy duty Ford Truck. There was no way to escape.

I thanked God that the situation didn't turn ugly.

I'm not sure if any of you have been in a similar situation where you could not drive away. Any views would be appreciated.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    I'm not sure if any of you have been in a similar situation where you could not drive away. Any views would be appreciated.
    Leaving a bit of space between my hood ornament and the car ahead is always a good idea, even in a drive-thru queue. That's about all the choice you've got, for exiting, but it's not a choice without the space.

Beyond that, the basics make sense: windows up, doors locked, being armed and aware.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    It might not have helped in this situation but I've found it a good rule of thumb to always stop far enough back so that you can see where the tires touch the ground of the car in front of you. That will always leave you enough room to go around if you need to.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    That's a situation I've pondered a few times. Not necessarily in a drive-through line, but trapped at a stop light or waiting in a line of traffic. And yes, I have the bad habit of inching up a bit too close to the car in front of me, close enough that if I needed to dart out of line and drive off, I would have to depend on the vehicle behind me to back up.

I need to work on this.

"I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

A) Have a gun!

B) Leave enough space to escape! You have no control on how close the guy behind you pulls up, but you do have control over how close you get to the car in front of you.

C) Have cell phone handy!

D) Keep doors locked and windows rolled up!

E) When in a drive through, it may be a good idea, not only to have the gun, but make sure it is instantly available! I almost always unholster when at a drive up ATM or late night drive through. (I've seem some pretty questionable things going on when in line at the drive through)

F) If you have passengers with you in the car, make sure someone is responsible enough to keep an over-watch of the area!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I've seen more than my fair share of civilization on the streets after midnight. Some actually look like they despise daylight. I'm not talking about 2nd shift workers here. The cops here always send two units for traffic stops during these times cause they know what kind of loonies are cruising around in the wee hours of the morning and acting suspicious. I've also learned to leave space enough to get out from behind what ever is in front of me, even at stoplights especially if I see more subjects than the driver in the vehicle. I have had one incident at a stoplight almost a year ago where I was in the left turn lane, and the guy next to me (driver) in the straight through lane jumped out of his car and came over and tried to open my passenger side door......he got a close up view of my G27 in semi-darkness, and I saw those white eyes come out against a pale, black background. When the light turned green, I made my turn, and he actually followed for about a quarter mile and thought better of it. I'm sort of glad I don't drive that car anymore. A lot of wierd stuff goes on around these parts during and the day after BBB (Bikes, Blues, and Barbeque). Next day I was on my way to work and got harassed by a white Ford pickup truck with two occupants for almost three miles. I dialed 911 on that one, and dispatch called me back after they apprehended the drunk driver, and thanked me. 1am-5am on the streets is times to beware of all or anything. Keeping yourself out of trouble and above ground is a 24/7 ordeal, and sleep is a waste of time. Be careful out there.

Generally to me the most important thing is to leave space in front of me so I can exit stage right if needed. 911 and keep your doors locked. Works for me.

drive through thoughts

We have a McYuk and a BK that I ocassionally frequent 2-3 x year, late at night after working a 10 or 12 hour shift (desperate for eats). One has a double drive through, but both lanes are curbed in, so once in line there is no escape. They almost might as well lock the wheels in on a conveyor belt (like in the car wash) and pull each car through as orders are completed!

maybe I won't frequent places like that unless I'm the first or only in line--which is usually the case at that hour. Perhaps I'll plan better meals, drink a big cup of tea or water to stave off starvation, or just save my money, the hassle, and the calories and eat when I get home.

Walk-ins not at these hours.

H@H

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    A) Have a gun!

B) Leave enough space to escape! You have no control on how close the guy behind you pulls up, but you do have control over how close you get to the car in front of you.

C) Have cell phone handy!

D) Keep doors locked and windows rolled up!

E) When in a drive through, it may be a good idea, not only to have the gun, but make sure it is instantly available! I almost always unholster when at a drive up ATM or late night drive through. (I've seem some pretty questionable things going on when in line at the drive through)

F) If you have passengers with you in the car, make sure someone is responsible enough to keep an over-watch of the area!
    Good points...

To B. I'll add, I always want to see the tires of the car in front of me...not always possible, but it provides an escape route.

To E. I'll add, I unholster and put the Glock under my thigh for easier access.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

JEEP & 4 wheel drive.... would allow me to get out of most situations ... on or off the road.

When I can I am home before dark and stay in. On occasion I have to work nights and hate it. Lately in my neck of the woods it's been like a famous song says" The freaks come out at night"

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    It might not have helped in this situation but I've found it a good rule of thumb to always stop far enough back so that you can see where the tires touch the ground of the car in front of you. That will always leave you enough room to go around if you need to.
    The above statement may save your life one day. I was taught it many many years ago when I learning how to drive a tractor trailer. Try it tommorow. While sitting in traffic. Pull all the way up and then try wheels meet the road. If you can see where the rear tires of the car in front on you meet the road you will have enough room to swing your vehicle out of harms way. (ie)A car is skidding up behind you see it happening the driver behind your can't stop, turn the wheel and pull up a few feet. It may save you from an accident.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I stop back far enough to see the rear tires of the vehicle in front of me, always.
    Just part of the "extended drivers training" that Dad offered(ahem, insisted on) after I passed the drivers training course offered by my high school. Losing a following vehicle, powering through curves and side-stepping the clutch were all part of Dad's training
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

There's an old saying, "Nothing good happens after midnight."

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Some of the drive throughs put a outer curb that may block you in. In my old Toyota Echo a marble in the road could block me in, now that I have my Jeep Wrangler I laugh at curbs. I also found out in Afghanistan how fast a visible laser can calm a situation down even though I had a ACOG(Red Dot Sight) and a PEC II(IR Laser/IR Illuminator) the visible laser in the eyes can back a lot of BG's down without actually having to shoot. If they get out and start heading back to your car this can save you the hassle of a SD shooting.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links