Hand on my firearm today...

This is a discussion on Hand on my firearm today... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I am a safe driver, I obey the laws, but there are idiots out and about that do not... I honked at one today, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand on my firearm today...

Ok, I am a safe driver, I obey the laws, but there are idiots out and about that do not... I honked at one today, and this is what happened.....

Ok.. I was getting onto the highway, a little bridge that connects 2 islands, about 3 miles long.. Speed limit 55, so I get on, and speed up to the 55mph speed limit to help the flow of traffic...

Another guy, comes on, on the right entrance, after I am on, I am in the middle lane, he comes straight from the right lane, and almost into my lane... He was going around 25-35mph, in a 55mph zone and I had to slam on the brakes to avoid being sideswiped. I also honked the horn..

He sped up, got in front of me, and slammed on the brakes!!!

I honked at him, again due to this aggressive act what he just did...

I continued down the road, passed him, since he was still going 45 in a 55 after that all happened... He continued to around where I was going to get off, at the end of this highway/bridge...

He got next to me, started trying to force me off the left side of the road screaming at me saying I was going 90 and I should make room for him, and he was going t break my neck and so on... I tried ignoring him, but to no avail..

He got in front of me and forced me to the side of the road - I was already dialing 911 at this point... When we were both stopped, he got out which gave me an opportunity to back up so I could go around... He stood by his door, and my hand was already on my firearm, and racked it... I was speaking to the police at this point..

He probably saw I was on the phone, shook his head and got back into his car, and went... same direction as I was going...

Talked to the police, they said they cant take reports over the phone, but nothing happened so.. they said if this individual does this again to call back...

I have Chrons disease which means I have all sorts of cramping and pain all the time which makes it painful to move, and also causes arthritis which I have, and the guy was bigger than me, so I am sure the disparity of force law wouldve played in my favor had he made a beeline for my vehicle... But I backed up when I could (I couldnt while he was forcing me to the side, since he was basically full on, on his brakes!!)
    Last edited by HotGuns; September 24th, 2009 at 02:11 AM. Reason: language workaround

Good response to a sure dumb a$$. Thank goodness things didn't escalate.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    In the construction business, I'm not surprised he'd be a bit ragged right now.

Way to stay safe and get the heck out of there - nothing good could have come for either of you in that situation.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

To be honest, I think you responded just about as best as anyone could in that situation!

Good Job!

Keep you firearm at the ready, but reserve it for when there's no other choice!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Too bad they couldn't remove all the idiots when they rebuilt the Cooper River bridge.

Since you've posted your exploits on a public forum I'll jump in with my $0.02.

First, you have the vehicle to use to avoid having to get into a shooting situation. In short, flee the scene. IMHO this was not a scenario that you needed a gun. You did good by calling the local constabulary however.

As far as:
    my hand was already on my firearm, and racked it..
    In all in the name that is holy, why are you running around with an unloaded firearm? If you don't "feel" safe carrying a loaded gun you need to find a different gun, or get some training. When you need it for real you may not have the time to fumble fart with putting a round in the chamber.

Having an aggressive driver, or witnesses that don't know what is transpiring, see you rack a round into the chamber makes you look like the aggressor. That's a tough hill to climb in court. The gun, in my opinion, should've been kept concealed. It isn't for show, or to threaten or intimidate others.

It is for the cessation of hostilities in which you are the intended recipient of deadly danger or grave bodily harm.

That's my $0.02 on the matter. Live and learn is my motto.

Biker

VIP Member
    Have to agree with Biker. Carrying a weapon without it being loaded and ready for action is a mistake. Additional training or a weapon you trust, or both seem to be in store.

Good job, glad you're OK. Backing up and putting distance between him & you was the exact right thing to do.

Two suggestions: On the 2nd time you honked, was that to avoid a collision, or to express anger? I'm learning that for de-escalation purposes it's usually better to swallow pride than to honk at somebody out of anger, even if you are in the right.

Also you said you racked the slide. I'd respectfully recommend that you always carry with one in the chamber. You might not always have time, or presence of mind, to rack the slide. There are some discussions about this elsewhere on this forum.

I can't believe you found a picture of the guy on the Internet! That's amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Have to agree with Biker. Carrying a weapon without it being loaded and ready for action is a mistake. Additional training or a weapon you trust, or both seem to be in store.

Yeah, I kind of missed that point. I read it, it just didn't register! My bad!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Man it really annoys me when idiots merge onto the road without being at the proper speed, then expect you to accommodate their stupidity.

Same goes on the local road, when people turn out in front of you. I mean, look, it's up to you - but YOU BETTER BE AT THE RIGHT SPEED by the time I get to you! I hate it when people turn out ahead of you with PLENTY of space and time to speed up, but they're still just sloooowwwwllllyyy going from 35-40 when you're already at 50 and have been for a long time.

Anyway, it's good that this didn't turn worse. Good call on calling the cavalry, although you may want to consider carrying chambered and cocked in the future. Also I'll agree with what others have said here; in a vehicle, always consider your right foot as a very, very good option for responding to dangerous road incidents with other people.

VIP Member
    Call the number and complain to the company. Give them all of the details as to where and when this occured. Try to be polite/professional on the phone. They will take you more seriously than if you are foaming-at-the-mouth mad when you talk to them.

I would also say that honking the second time sounds like you were expressing anger. Never a good idea. The roads are full of idiots and you never know when you are going to meet really bad ones - like this guy. Road-rage is epidemic in our society and is only getting worse. Watch your back out there.

Glad you were able to walk away from this.
    Last edited by HotGuns; September 24th, 2009 at 02:12 AM. Reason: quoting unauthorized personal info
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

From the sound of it, you did ok. I agree about keeping one in the chamber, but that is me and some others. If you don't feel comfortable, well that is you, your life, your choice. It is still better than not having a gun anywhere around you IMO.

As far as the honking, well I don't buy into the idea that once you start to carry a gun you can no longer use your horn. Horns are required by most every state that does inspections to be operational. That means they are meant to be used when folks are doing stupid stuff in their cars or on motorcycles, or happen to be biking or walking whatever. If folks get mad because you honk your horn at them, well that is their problem not mine or yours for pointing out dumb stuff they are doing. They can learn to deal with it.

I hope that the dispatcher took the information about the driver and put out a reckless driver alert to the area to be on the lookout for this guy.

My guess is that the guy in the truck was the owner of the company since it is his picture on the link provided earlier. Calling him and telling him what a jerk he was is just going to get him to act more like a jerk.

If you have a 2 ton vehicle use it before your 2 lb gun.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Glad you made it through it okay.

Like the others said, load that puppy up and keep it @ the ready.

I don't know what you drive, but I traded my ford a few years back for a 2005 Black Extended cab Silverado Z71. I smoked the windows just above legal limit oh yeah, red neck all the way! I travel to down town Atlanta daily and got tired of the road bandits that like to ride up on your tail and press folks and drive like idiots. I have a rather large hitch that I use to tow my boat that I leave on the truck to persuade the tailgaters to beware. Now if that kinda stuff happens, I just hold my ground and let um know real quick, I'll use um for a frickin hood ornament if they don't ease on by and let me be. I don't need my gun for that, I'm drive'n my weapon if it comes down to it.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

cmb
    I am either in a small carr for gas mileage or in my van with wife and 5 kids, I hate bad drivers with a passion. I do the speed limit (except for this months trip to labor and delivery), avoid the horn, and chalk others mistakes up to a bad day. I just figured the one time I used the horn, I would scare an elderly person who honestly didn't see me or something give them a heart attack and they would swerve into oncoming traffic and.... I don't need that... I just deal with vent to myself and remember the motto... "8 out of 10 people are idiots, if I'm not and you're not it must be the others!"

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Call the number and complain to the company. Give them all of the details as to where and when this occured. Try to be polite/professional on the phone. They will take you more seriously than if you are foaming-at-the-mouth mad when you talk to them.
    Please do this. This buttclown needs to know his behavior reflects poorly on his company.
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links