The Whites Of Their EYES

This is a discussion on The Whites Of Their EYES within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK Members Let's talk about very important EYE CONTACT....Yes Or No? You are out walking...you are (of course) armed & hopefully dangerous if you practice ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Whites Of Their EYES

Administrator

Question The Whites Of Their EYES

OK Members

Let's talk about very important EYE CONTACT....Yes Or No?

You are out walking...you are (of course) armed & hopefully dangerous if you practice hard and often.

Potential BGs ~ Possible BGs ~ Bad Guy Wannabes ~ Persons Unknown ~ Whomever (take yer pick) are walking toward you...AKA in your direction.
    They are NOT necessarily coming at you or coming FOR you...but, you just happen walking North & they are walking South & you will intersect.

Do you make eye intentional hard eye contact?

Do you subtly avert your gaze?

Do you intentionally & obviously look in another direction?

Do you wear sunglasses so nobody can tell where you're looking?

I already am more than able to offer up a correct answer on this...so I'll abstain.

What do YOU do????

2. Remove Ads

1952 - 2006
    I'll make casual eye contact to make them know I am aware of their presence. If they continue to advance and I feel them a threat, then the eye contact will become less casual as I attempt to exit the area.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Yup, I make eye contact. I do wear sunglasses as needed.

Better to be aware. Averting your eyes seems kinda like burrying your head in the sand in hopes the problem will go away.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

VIP Member
    If it's sunny out, I usually have my shades on. I've noticed people are less inclined to be social with me when they can't see my eyes. They just give me a quick glance and walk on.

If I feel like the intersecting is going to be too close, I try to reroute myself to give more distance. Usually if the other person's smart, they give strangers a wide berth out of courtesy anyway.

If the person is perceived as being a threat, I will give eye contact. That's hard to see with my shades on, but I've been told I have a mean scowl.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Look 'em in the eye to let them know they have been seen and I am aware of their presence. Generally a quick glance, but it is usually enough.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

VIP Member
    I generally wear sunglasses, but only because the sun bothers my eyes. I will make it obvious that I have seen him/her/it/them/her (did I use that one twice?) and am aware they are there; usually by nodding my head. It's their move from there.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Look them straight in the eye's and give them a big smile.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I work in the city a lot so this happens quite often. I look at them straight in the eyes and say hello or how are you doin? I keep walking paying close attention to my surroundings and always have a "what if" plan rolling in my mind. Let them know you are there and are not a meek timid creature. By just looking them in the eyes and saying hello it throws them. It's like when you are around a loose dog or a wild animal. They can smell fear. Don't put off the fear odor.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Look them straight in the eye.....looking down, averting your eyes etc just screams

Lead Moderator
    I will look someone in the eye. Usually have shades on in sunny weather, but I can still give em the "1,000 yrd stare".
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    Yes - a direct look in the eye - an announcement I have seen them and am aware.

It may be real brief and not enough to cause any discomfort or suggest any aggression - just that, and a nod with maybe (on a good day) a semblance of smile.

The aversion of eye contact from a third party puts me on guard - why are they avoiding eye contact? Something to hide?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I look the potential BG square in the eye withought any expresion and politly ask "if I can help them?"

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Here's the secret to getting the real crazy eyes....

Don't stare at them in the eyes......That doesn't always have the desired effect.....

Stare them straight between the eyes. It looks like you're cutting right through them. Have someone do it to you and vice versa. It's freaky.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

I look in the eyes, you can tell alot. Then I'll dismiss them with a look, let them know "I noticed you and don't consider you a threat". They'll wonder why I don't consider them a threat and reconsider any adverse actions on their part.
    Growing up in a rough section of Philly, I've always done this, long before CCW.

I make casual eye contact. After the eye contact then I watch their hands. Chances are If something were to go south I would see it Start with their hands. After they pass I may casually glance over my shoulder to see where the person has gone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links