Went into Condition "orange" While shopping.

This is a discussion on Went into Condition "orange" While shopping. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I went to the store to buy a gallon of lemonade. I normally am in "Yellow", to me I still observe people, I "scan" ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Went into Condition "orange" While shopping.

So I went to the store to buy a gallon of lemonade.

I normally am in "Yellow", to me I still observe people, I "scan" people going by them, and just am aware of who is doing what around me.

Anyways, I went into the store, CC'ing, but printing. I go by this one guy, about 6ft 6'1 possibly. Grey sweatshirt (possibly a hoodie), with a logo in the middle on the front, and I think jeans. I passed him, he was behind me with a cart, I got my gallon of lemonade and went by him again, he was still in the same place. I took notice he left his cart and was walking my way, so I keep on thinking he could be getting something close by and left the cart. I went to the self check out because there was no line, and it would be fast. I take notice he is closer and I hurry up. I get out of the doors, they shut and I know he was behind me...So I am thinking "please don't let the doors open behind me, please don't." They open and it's the guy. I instantly go to "Orange", I reach in my left pocket, hit the "door unlock" for my car, leave the keys there, put the gallon in my left hand so if I would need it I could clear my shirt, and have access to my firearm. I get in my car, lock the doors and check the mirror, the guy is just standing there watching! I check again, he is still there. I would have normally went out that way, but i backed up and went the long way through the parking lot. The entire time the dude is watching me (he actually came out around the corner to watch), when I was about to leave the parking lot, he then looks again and goes back inside.

I can't figure out what he wanted, or what his plans were. I've never taken notice to him ever before at that store. To me, I think it's odd he came out and watched me get in my car and leave. I can't imagine what would have happened if he would have followed me to my car. I don't have OC spray either, just a firearm, that may change.

The guy was only in his 20's i'd say. While he was following, he wasn't fast to catch up, he kept his distance. When he was outside watching, he kept his hands at his side. He also didn't talk at all.

Part of me wishes I would have stopped and asked him what he needed.

Sorry for the long story, but it pretty much freaked me out.

Part of me wishes I would have stopped and asked him what he needed.
    That's the part of you that can get you killed! Glad everything worked-out okay. Be Safe!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

HI,

you say you were "printing"...so you gun was noticable...may have been store security who noticed......

DM2
    My first thought is that he was loss prevention or off-duty LEO. More than likely off-duty LEO. He probably spotted your print and wanted to make sure nothing was amiss. Loss prevention usually doesn't go outside after you pay for your purchase and they didn't observe you hiding any stolen merchandise.

Next time, take care of the printing and you probably won't have to go into condition orange unnecessarily.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by bruce21b View Post
    HI,

you say you were "printing"...so you gun was noticable...may have been store security who noticed......
    Quote Originally Posted by DM2 View Post
    My first thought is that he was loss prevention or off-duty LEO. More than likely off-duty LEO. He probably spotted your print and wanted to make sure nothing was amiss. Loss prevention usually doesn't go outside after you pay for your purchase and they didn't observe you hiding any stolen merchandise.

Next time, take care of the printing and you probably won't have to go into condition orange unnecessarily.
    I was able to ask a friend who works there, the guy isn't loss prevention. Also the only way you'll notice that there is something under my shirt is if you actually know to look there and then you'll only notice a bulge, but if you look for it, then you'll know. I've open carried in the store before a few times, and nothing happened.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    I'm glad things worked out the way they did for you. At least you were aware of your surroundings and noticed this individual.
    SCGunLover1

DM2
    The only other thing ... maybe it was a case of mistaken identity. Maybe he thought he knew you or you looked familiar to him. Other than that, I'm at a loss. Unless, of course, he was looking for a victim. Would you recognize him again?

I'm glad it turned out the way it did and you're safe. Good job on the SA. If he did mean you any harm, at least you were prepared.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by DM2 View Post
    The only other thing ... maybe it was a case of mistaken identity. Maybe he thought he knew you or you looked familiar to him. Other than that, I'm at a loss. Unless, of course, he was looking for a victim. Would you recognize him again?

I'm glad it turned out the way it did and you're safe. Good job on the SA. If he did mean you any harm, at least you were prepared.
    Yeah if he is there the next time, I will know who he is.

Quote Originally Posted by dane View Post
    Yeah if he is there the next time, I will know who he is.
    BAD MOVE!

That is my opinion, but look at it this way,

You were not accosted by the unknown individual. You do not know his intentions, whatever they may be. If you approach him it could be construed as being aggressive. There is a time for aggressiveness, but this certainly isn't it.

I'd just stay alert and aware, no matter where you are, and go about my daily business. Maybe he was planning on committing a felonious act against you and was "sizing you up". He may have determined that you were more than he wanted to deal with and went back inside to look for an easier mark.

It also could've just been a case of mistaken identity. I can guarantee you one thing though. If he had committed a felonious act against you his alibi would've made you out to be the badguy. "There I was shopping and this crazy man with a gun shot me for no reason."

Don't think that criminals tell the truth when they testify in court either. He will have a story that he thinks will cover his behind. Most times such stories can be disproven in court, but at what cost to you? Why deal with things you don't have to. If he is a badguy, he has committed no crime against you or your loved ones. You are best to keep it that way and let others worry about their own safety. It is after all, their responsibility.

Just my $0.02. Take care and stay safe.

Biker

I also think he was just a theft prevention guy. They are usually young and dressed in a casual way. I think he was just watching you.

Quote Originally Posted by i10casual View Post
    I also think he was just a theft prevention guy. They are usually young and dressed in a casual way. I think he was just watching you.
    That's what I am thinking, even though I got told told they don't think it was him. Either way, I go to that store often, so if he stops me, I'd show him whats there, and it isn't store items.

Maybe he thought you were cute?

Quote Originally Posted by bruce21b View Post
    HI,

+1 thats exactly what it sounds like.
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dane View Post
    So I went to the store to buy a gallon of lemonade.

I normally am in "Yellow"
    Wait, so you bought orange juice instead?

Couldn't resist....

Quote Originally Posted by BaserRonin View Post
    Maybe he thought you were cute?
    Some of my friends that I told this to said stuff like that just to make me laugh haha.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    Wait, so you bought orange juice instead?

Couldn't resist....
    haha.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links