Reparked Jeep to protect CCW

This is a discussion on Reparked Jeep to protect CCW within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went to hospital to make visit, this hospital has 30.06 sign posted at entrance. Here in Texas this means that no concealed handgun are allowed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reparked Jeep to protect CCW

Reparked Jeep to protect CCW

Went to hospital to make visit, this hospital has 30.06 sign posted at entrance. Here in Texas this means that no concealed handgun are allowed by state law. Found parking place and exited jeep and while standing between jeep body and door removed CC and placed it in concealed spot under seat. Locked door and scanned parking lot once more when I noticed a man seating in car with very good view of me removing CC. Something made my hair stand up on back of neck and I went back and reentered jeep and drove away. Found parking place on other side of hospital out of sight of first one and made visit. It seemed strange to have to protect my CCW as I depend on it to protect me. Not for sure but good chance that if I had not moved to new parking lot, that when I came out of hospital after visit I would have found jeep broken into and CCW gone. I hate 30.06 signs but am glad that I have being teaching my self to be very much more situational aware. Has anyone else had to protect their CCW while out and about, for instance at post office when thing just were not right?

2. Remove Ads

Yep, been there.... done that too.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    Went to hospital to make visit, this hospital has 30.06 sign posted at entrance. Here in Texas this means that no concealed handgun are allowed by state law. Found parking place and exited jeep and while standing between jeep body and door removed CC and placed it in concealed spot under seat. Locked door and scanned parking lot once more when I noticed a man seating in car with very good view of me removing CC. Something made my hair stand up on back of neck and I went back and reentered jeep and drove away. Found parking place on other side of hospital out of sight of first one and made visit. It seemed strange to have to protect my CCW as I depend on it to protect me. Not for sure but good chance that if I had not moved to new parking lot, that when I came out of hospital after visit I would have found jeep broken into and CCW gone. I hate 30.06 signs but am glad that I have being teaching my self to be very much more situational aware. Has anyone else had to protect their CCW while out and about, for instance at post office when thing just were not right?
    Just out of curiosity, how were you carrying and why was it not feasible to remove it while seated?
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

I have a safe bolted to the floor of my truck. It will hold three or four handguns easily.

Have you thought about something like that instead of just leaving the gun unsecured in the vehicle?

Biker

One thing you can do is field strip the gun and just take the frame with you,no usable gun left to steal
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I'm sure I don't know all the fact of this situation, but I would have to say that you should be EXTREMELY careful dismounting your sidearm that way. It could cause more trouble that your looking for. I would suggest finding a more discreet way removing and storing your firearm. Just my thoughts...Stay safe!!

I have done the same thing. It stinks that we would have to do this kind of thing. Especially since having the gun secured in its holster on my hip is the safest place for it instead of in an unoccupied car where it could be easily stolen.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    It’s a shame that you feel the other person; sitting in his automobile was there to commit a crime. First off, he was there before you. Why were you thinking he was there to burglarize your vehicle? Could he maybe be waiting for his wife or daughter to get off work? Could he just have returned from visiting a dying, dear friend or spouse in the same hospital and just sitting there trying to get his head straight before driving off?

For our safety we have a duty to always observe our surrounding before getting out of the vehicle. I think the mistake was yours my friend. Carelessly exiting the vehicle and then removing the firearm could have put you in real danger had the want-a-be punk snuck up behind you and taken that firearm during your draw.

All that might sound rash I know. I’m not attacking you, just pointing out that the fella you saw could have been in any state of mind. I think it is wrong to assume someone’s intent without action on their part. Otherwise, we are all criminals until proven innocent.

Having made the mistake, you did the right thing, move on. Had he actually seen your weapon, he could have just as well dialed 911 and reported you and your firearm in the parking lot along with a description of the vehicle. He could have even followed you while on the phone with the local PD. Now, that would get your hackles up!

Not knowing your situation and giving advice is a hard call. I would try to disarm before I arrive at a location I know will not allow me to carry. I carry, drive a service vehicle, and do this as frequently as necessary. I carry a spare holster in the glove box. I pull over, usually in an open area of a parking lot and swap the weapon to the spare holster and into the G box it goes, all while I sit there comfortably drawing little attention to myself.

Being a Jeep owner I understand you may or not have a G box depending on the model/yr. Placing a firearm under the seat might be an option in your state. It is not here for firearm owners in general.

Jeep Best wishes and thanks for sharing this eye opening event so we can all stay safe and alert to our surroundings.
    Certified Glock Armorer

not being there .......... not sure..........
    i dont know why the hospitals do this.. but it might have been security....
    note that i said might......

what i hate is ... we have a hospital that is a great hospital, but it is in the bad part of town. they have had shootings there, and security isnt, and cant always be around. Sure hard to protect myself going in from the parking lot.
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Searcher45 I'm with you on this one, always better safe than sorry.
    I would have done the same thing. Here in MI hospitals are CEZ's, I often disarm a block or two away, then park in the lot as long as I'm not followed. If I'm feeling extra cautious, the mag and ammo goes with me when I have to lock my firearm in my truck safe.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

+1 on the field stripping idea. I have used that one before. Still if you think someone is casing you and your vehicle it is good to do what you did and move it. No sense in testing fate. I think it is good for all of use to practice on our condition yellow state of awareness and the information it provides

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I have a safe bolted to the floor of my truck. It will hold three or four handguns easily.
    It just sucks if they have to find that out by breaking your window first.

I commend your alertness...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I would not feel comfortable at all leaving my CCW in my Wrangler. There's no real place to lock it up securely. I do like the field strip idea, though you could still be out a slide if they were dumb enough to take it.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    I would not feel comfortable at all leaving my CCW in my Wrangler. There's no real place to lock it up securely. I do like the field strip idea, though you could still be out a slide if they were dumb enough to take it.
    Placed my COM safe under front passenger seat of my Wrangler on the floorboard in the back side of seat specifically so I can reach from Drivers seat without leaning over or climbing in the back of the vehicle. Unless you are looking in my tinted windows you will only see me reach toward the back of the passenger seat.

Or for the Wrangler you can also order a Center Console safe or replace the Glove Box with a safe.
    http://www.tuffyproducts.com/s-53-2007-current.aspx
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links