Aggresive man approaches you while with your child.

This is a discussion on Aggresive man approaches you while with your child. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have my 3 year old son with me alot. I work 2nd shift and run errands and do groceries or go to the park ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aggresive man approaches you while with your child.

I have my 3 year old son with me alot. I work 2nd shift and run errands and do groceries or go to the park during the day. Say a man was approaching us very aggresively but unarmed. It's known that his intentions are to fight and/or mug me. If I'm by myself, I'd have no problem defending myself with my fists. Never been in a fight, but was an infantry marine for four years, 5'11 220 lbs. and pretty sure I can hold my own. What worries me is if I'm with my son and he got a lucky shot in and knocked me out? What would happen to my son? He would be at the mercy of this guy... That being said, am I within my rights to pull a gun on him and/or shoot if he attacks with my son with me? Ultimately I would believe my son was in danger. Any thoughts would be appreciated...
    It's better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it.
    H&K USP .45 compact
    Glock 27
    Ruger LCP (she's so cute!)

NO hesitation - He has 1 chance to walk away immediately or it will be the last mistake he ever makes.

After that, it's 2 real quicks shots to the chest, and 1 to the brainpan.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

First and foremost, refer to the applicable defense statutes for the state in which you live.......nothing anyone else says here really matters until you understand how the actual law reads in your individual state.

Now, having said that, the vast majority of states allow the use of deadly force in those instances where you have a reasonable fear that either you, or someone else is in imminent danger of death or serious bodily harm from another person. If you were to pull your gun in the situation you described, after the fact, you would have to be able to convince the authorities, and potentially a jury of that fear. Given your size and training, even with your child present, that could be difficult unless the other person presented some kind of weapon.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

You don't know what they BG is there for; you could find out later that the BG in question was a convicted sex offender whose specialty was small children, like yours. Either way, there are few juries out there that will convict someone defending themselves and their small children from at a minimum felony assault.

I know my attorney would put that small child up on the stand and let the jury see him/her scared to death and crying that "man was going to hurt my daddy"........

"MR. FOREMAN, DO YOU HAVE A VERDICT. "

"Yes your honor we do. to the charge of Murder in the 1st degree we find the defendant NOT GUILTY......"
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

You have given multiple scenarios in your post.

First, if the guy is approaching you and is displaying agressive intentions, you need to put distance or something in between the aggresor and you and the boy. I am about your size but gave up fist fighting about 20 years ago, shortly after I left the Army.

Loud verbal commands of get back, move on or whatever can be used while creating distance or putting getting behind a bench or whatever.

If all else fails, he is unrelenting and it comes to the point where your going to have to defend yourself, well then I guess presenting your gun would be in order. If you had pepper spray or some other deterant that would probably be the wiser move. But if all else fails use what you have got. Luckily in Texas we can present a firearm as a deterant against an agressor without reprecussions, and hopefully the aggresor would back off an you and your kid could go home safely.

Sec. 9.04. THREATS AS JUSTIFIABLE FORCE. The threat of force is justified when the use of force is justified by this chapter. For purposes of this section, a threat to cause death or serious bodily injury by the production of a weapon or otherwise, as long as the actor's purpose is limited to creating an apprehension that he will use deadly force if necessary, does not constitute the use of deadly force.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    You have given multiple scenarios in your post.

First, if the guy is approaching you and is displaying agressive intentions, you need to put distance or something in between the aggresor and you and the boy. I am about your size but gave up fist fighting about 20 years ago, shortly after I left the Army.

Loud verbal commands of get back, move on or whatever can be used while creating distance or putting getting behind a bench or whatever.

If all else fails, he is unrelenting and it comes to the point where your going to have to defend yourself, well then I guess presenting your gun would be in order. If you had pepper spray or some other deterant that would probably be the wiser move. But if all else fails use what you have got.
    +1 on the loud, verbal commands! They give him an opportunity to think twice about his choice of victims, and it gives any bystanders the idea that you are the one being attacked (that will help you in court). All this while moving to create distance/find cover (this also aids your court argument).

However, what is the clear indication that he is going to harm you. Spidey Sense may be great in SA, but it just doesn't hold up in court. So, what is the "line in the sand" as far as your reasonable assurance of imminent danger?
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

People get killed all the time because they were "in a fight" - that kid in Chicago got "beat up." He's dead now. That's assault and you could end up getting your head stomped in, becoming wheelchair-bound for the rest of your life. I don't need to get in a fist fight - if a guy makes it clear that he wants to fight me, I say I'm not fighting. If he advances and I have no means of escape, I draw my weapon.

I can run away just fine, but my girlfriend can't. That's when the situation changes and my ability to escape is limited.

I have to believe that a reasonable person on a jury would justify a person defending their children. An attorney would try to paint the perp as the victim, but it would be better to be jailed, than to have your child harmed.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

JT
    I agree that it would most likely be found to be justifiable.

But what if it wasn’t? Look at the absolute worst outcome for each scenario:

Draw your weapon and shoot: You’re son is alive and you’re in prison.

You don’t draw your weapon: You’re son is abducted by a child molester, dead, or both. You get to live with the fact that you could have stopped it the rest of you life.

Easy decision.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    I agree that it would most likely be found to be justifiable.

But what if it wasnít? Look at the absolute worst outcome for each scenario:

Draw your weapon and shoot: Youíre son is alive and youíre in prison.

You donít draw your weapon: Youíre son is abducted by a child molester, dead, or both. You get to live with the fact that you could have stopped it the rest of you life.

Easy decision.
    I think a more prudent decision would be to confront the aggressor and display your weapon while commanding them to back off and leave you alone.

Frequently a false dichotomy exists between not drawing and shooting. The third option of drawing but not immediately shooting is also often a viable choice.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    I think a more prudent decision would be to confront the aggressor and display your weapon while commanding them to back off and leave you alone.

Frequently a false dichotomy exists between not drawing and shooting. The third option of drawing but not immediately shooting is also often a viable choice.
    That's why I said worst case scenario.

But if you draw, you better be willing to shoot.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    If all else fails, he is unrelenting and it comes to the point where your going to have to defend yourself, well then I guess presenting your gun would be in order. If you had pepper spray or some other deterant that would probably be the wiser move. But if all else fails use what you have got. Luckily in Texas we can present a firearm as a deterant against an agressor without reprecussions, and hopefully the aggresor would back off an you and your kid could go home safely after calling the police.
    Added the only thing I think this advice is missing in bold.

Oh, and as a parent myself, I can tell you that I will do anything to protect my son from harm. It's not really a conscious decision either. In the event that someone has intent to do harm to your child (and/or yourself), your fatherly instincts should instantly kick in.

Now, with that being said, remember what farron said about trying to avoid the situation. Court fee's and prison isn't going to do your son any good either. Avoid and flee if possible.

And from what my LEO friends tell me, if you're going to shoot in self-defense, be sure to kill. Removes the chance for him to lie and say you shot him for no reason.

Dead men can't lie.

What if he has a buddy you don't see, and that buddy grabs your son while you're fighting the first guy?

Pepper spray him and keep your guard up.
    Last edited by larefugee; October 2nd, 2009 at 07:50 PM.

my daughter?...he dies.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links