just tryed to help

This is a discussion on just tryed to help within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; in 90 i was home on leave and i walked out of a lil stop n rob to find this long haired druggy looking guy ...

Thread: just tryed to help

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar

just tryed to help

in 90 i was home on leave and i walked out of a lil stop n rob to find this long haired druggy looking guy sitting on his girlfriends mid~section beating the living daylights out of her.

I honestly thought about just minding my own business...since getting in to trouble with the law would cause me some severe problems back on post but, being the dumb grunt that i am - i decided to help
    "oooops" i yelled at the guy while approaching so that he might deflect his attention from smashing her up any further

all he did was pause and tell me to mind my own fing business turned back to her and pounded away.
    She was a mess.
    So..when he went back to work on her i grabbed a big ol handful of long hair and yanked him back ward off her and onto his face
    then straddling him.
    I applied what is known as jujitsu as a rear nekid choke putting him to sleep

The moral is
    She jumps up starts yelling for the police which had arrived on the scene to arrest me for assaulting her.
    Her Boy Friend & i got cuffed and put in a squad car till they could straighten it all out.

Meanwhile she was yelling the whole time that she wanted to press charges (not on the guy that had broken her nose and knocked out three teeth) but on me for hurting her precious bf
    i walked...after the police got them to leave.
    this was before the mandatory charge law was passed for domestic violence in Calif made me feel like never helping anyone again
    but to tell the truth i would do it all again
    this happened in Modesto California (still a crap hole) thats why i don't live there any more.
    Just thought you all might like this you never know when you try to help who's side the victim will be on in a domestic issue

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I absolutely sympathize with the situation you were in - you don't want to stand idly by, yet domestic situations can be incredibly scary because, like what happened to you, the "victim" might start defending the person you're trying to save her/him from.

It's hard to be a good samaritan these days.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Administrator

Thumbs up

Absolutely...DITTO BETTY.
    Glad that everything worked out OK for you.
    Hopefully, that female now can look way back in time and appreciate what you did for her back then.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    p.s thanks for the editing i do not type so well lol

snake,

I see where you thanked Betty for helping with your post. If you are open to suggestions, go to www.google.com and look right above the window where you would type in your search, for the word "more."

Click on that link and on the page that opens next, look at the list you'll see, down the first column, for one that says, "toolbar." Click on this one.

This will let you add the Google Toolbar to your web browser. You can use it to search the Internet, but it also will spell check anything you type into a frame, like you do when you post on this forum. It will highlight misspelled words and offer a list of corrections. Just click on the one you like, it will replace the one you typed.

This darned thing does a great job of making my post easier to read.

As they say, "Try it, you'll like it!"

mm

PS: It made 3 corrections to this post!
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

I believe that your actions were appropriate. You cannot read the mind of the person being assaulted. As is true for many times a "good samaritan" gets involved, the police don't have the good fortune to look into a crystal ball and know what happened. They secure everyone and begin to investigate. In the end, Justice is usually served, as it was in this case.

Too often People, Citizens, Americans are told to just point and yell when person is getting mugged, raped, beat up - Assaulted! The concern is that you might get hurt yourself if you intervene. That may be true some of the time, but the lions share of the time it will/would make a difference. Law enforcement is not soley exclusive to the Police and other such agencies. We have granted them the authority to enforce the law, but the responsibility resides with us as well. Gone is the attitude and selflessness of my Grandfather's generation. The decline started with my Father's generation, and continues to this day. As is true in the states that have a CCW right and responsibility, where violent crime has been shown to have decreased, if we Citizens let criminals know that their actions are not tolerated through a proactive approach, then crime would decrease as a whole. All we need to do is give a damn about our neighbors.

RLTW!
    Rob
    Last edited by tankkiller275; April 12th, 2006 at 12:02 PM.
    Rangers Lead the Way!

Rules of a Gun Fight #23: "Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

VIP Member
    I'm in agreement. It was the best response at the time with the information give. Who would have thought someone was happy getting their stuff kicked?

Makes you think, though, if you were carrying at the time, would your response have been different?
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Lead Moderator
    domestics are the worst. getting involved usually means the victim will turn on ya.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

CopperKnight wrote:
    Makes you think, though, if you were carrying at the time, would your response have been different?
    I wrote this post in another thread, but I think it is relavent to this post as well:

I would find it very hard to justify the use of Lethal Force. With him being unarmed, I don't believe it even justifies me brandishing my weapon. Now, had he produced or aquired a potential deadly weapon, such as a stick or club, I would be justified in brandishing my firearm and alerting him. The moment he didn't comply with my commands and raised the club to strike my wife, I would then be justified to use Lethal Force.

I may be wrong, but I have never heard of a LEO use Lethal Force on a BG that is known to be unarmed, even if he/she is wailing on another person or LEO. Less then Lethal Force/Weapons are usually used. If the BG produces a weapon such as a club, shovel, or knife, or demonstrates actions/intent of the desire to escalate the fight, such as grab for the LEO's firearm, then all bets are off. As Less then Lethal tools are available to the public, the same principle of escalation of force apply. There has got to be some LEO's here that can shed some light. Off the record of course!! Ha, Ha!

I suppose the question is at what point is the thin line between a good ass whooping, and severe bodily harm or death possible that justifies Lethal use of Force/Weapons?

RLTW!
    Rob
    Rangers Lead the Way!

Rules of a Gun Fight #23: "Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

i am confident that this abuse was not the first time. she is stupid to stay with the guy, codependent, and he is just stupid, abuser. a no win scenero.
    john

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    It's hard to be a good samaritan these days.
    I can confirm that.

Quote Originally Posted by madmike
    snake,

I see where you thanked Betty for helping with your post. If you are open to suggestions, go to www.google.com and look right above the window where you would type in your search, for the word "more."

Click on that link and on the page that opens next, look at the list you'll see, down the first column, for one that says, "toolbar." Click on this one.

This will let you add the Google Toolbar to your web browser. You can use it to search the Internet, but it also will spell check anything you type into a frame, like you do when you post on this forum. It will highlight misspelled words and offer a list of corrections. Just click on the one you like, it will replace the one you typed.

This darned thing does a great job of making my post easier to read.

As they say, "Try it, you'll like it!"

mm

PS: It made 3 corrections to this post!
    Thanks I needed that information
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Links