Another what would you do!

This is a discussion on Another what would you do! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; O.K. I was at my bank today (Tuesday) and when I walked in I saw a guy wearing a black trench coat, (it hit 80 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another what would you do!

O.K. I was at my bank today (Tuesday) and when I walked in I saw a guy wearing a black trench coat, (it hit 80 degrees today) not a long one but one that went to about the knees. Black pants, black shirt, black Converse old style canvas high tops looking disgruntled and short pacing as he is at the teller. I was freaking out cause I am already in the bank up to the counter where you can prepare your transaction and whatever.

So this dude has my curiosity peeked as to what in the heck is going on, could this be a robbery in progress? The guy never looks at me but is acting strange to say the least. The teller comes back to her window and the guy walks up again and puts his hands in his pocket and is frustrated and talking with his hands but they are in his pocket. This is getting weird! I am thinking, I have just walked into the bank with a robbery going down, great, what else is going to happen today?

So I am thinking as to what to do, retreat, physically take this guy out from behind, draw down on him, warn people, etc. I was thinking of everything I could or should do in like 1.5 seconds. So I gain a little distance but remain behind the guy finding a spot that would be clear if I would have to draw and shot this guy. I couldn't see a gun and like I said he had his hands in his pockets so I was unsure at best as to if he was armed or not.

Also when looking around other bank people were looking at him with some concern and he and I were the only customers or non bank employees in the bank, this bank is a large one so it is possible that he didn't hear or even see me come in and doesn't know I am even there.

So I get to my spot where I felt best at near some cover and out of the line of fire for everyone whether he shoots or I do and I wait to see what is going to happen next.

Not so long story short, the guy was trying to cash a third party check with an account he has $9.00 in and hasnít been touched in several months, no activity at all I find out later when it was my turn. He was pissed off because they wouldn't cash it for him without funds in his account to cover the check.

Turns out that the tellers were suspicious also and had concern and the teller that left the window while he was standing there went back to the manager of the bank to 1) see if they could cash a check like this and 2) to let him know that she was concerned about this guy and what should she do. The manager sent her back out there, he stayed in the back (what a puss) to take care of it and tell him they couldn't cash it.

This wasn't a robbery but,

After reading this, my question is if it was a robbery in progress what would you have done in this position? your not sure if he has a gun, but the guy IS robbing the bank (you are armed) (I was) the guy has his hands in his trench coat pocket and ordering the teller around you can tell and the guy doesn't know you are there and taking position on him.

What would you do if this went down for real like I thought it was going to today? This was a weird situation today and I can't help but think about it if things were actually different and he was robbing the place as to what I, could I, should I, or would I do in that moment with the situation I described.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Senior Moderator
    I would do what you did, and move to a covered / advantaged position, and wait to see what he does.

If he displays no weapon, I am not about to bring deadly force into play. As long as he is showing no interest in the other customers, I am content to get a good description and watch him walk away.

It's not my money, and I am not going to risk a bystander getting hurt for it.

If he starts showing an interest in the other customers, the equation changes. If he tries to herd everyone into a back room, his life is forfeit.

But if this is just a simple robbery, I do not think it is my place to escalate the situation.

Matt

Assistant Administrator
    Thanks Matt - you saved me some typing!!

Big ''ditto''.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

RE: Another "What would you do?"

I would have done about the same thing as you have done. The questions (and points) offered by some of the other readers are very level headed as well. If the suspected "Perp" doesn't present a weapon, do you really want to introduce deadly force into the situation? I would not. If he started to round up employees and customers, herding them into an area, all bets are off, just like one of the other readers said in his reply.

I can't see your post, now that I'm typing, but did you consider contacting law enforcment?

You demonstrated outstanding situational awareness, and that's our 1st responsibilities. Good job, sir.
    Kerry

"An armed Society is a polite society"

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    In many encounters, members here mention they have a hand on their gun. This would/could be a BAD idea, especially if nothing goes down. A bank employee sees you with a gun and they're likely gonna freak and hit the alarms.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Great answer MATT I agree!!!

VIP Member
    Looks to me like Matt has the right answer and Jarhead has the proper caution. Don't even look like you have a gun, be prepared to retrieve it if something goes down, but don't give any indication that you have one until the situation is clear.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Matt and Jarhead: Ditto!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

I fully agree. As an armed citizen my role is to protect life. Money in a bank is insured. Unless a life was in danger, I would just observe like the others have stated.
    Blinky

Dalai Lama - May 15, 2001, The Seattle Times

well its illegal to enter a bank with a gun, so i wouldn't have a gun on me, so i would most likely think of a way to tackle him if i was in a situation like that, but wait until a gun is in play.

Exactly, I agree. I had many thoughts going through my head at the time and never reached or put my hand on my gun but did position myself accordingly to what I thought would be best. It was an eye opener even if nothing did go down, it makes you think for sure.

It was a strange encounter today, my first potential situation as a CHL holder. After observing the other employees showing concern in there face my heart rate went up a bit and I noticed my face getting hot, I wasn't scared but had a definate concern because it looked as if it really was a robbery going down, I found myself preparing right away which I thought was good after leaving, atleast I didn't go blank.

The problem for me was I missed the first part of it and went in when the guy was already pissed that he couldn't get his check cashed. But nevertheless the guy was out of line,acting very strange, and was short pacing back and forth and almost talking to himself. It was strange, maybe the guy had some type of mental problem, I dunno.

The people at the bank didn't know him nor did he look familer to them they said. I consider today good practice and left feeling greatful that nothing did happen.

Even the tellers were like, pheew that guy was strange and was glad to see him go, they said it was a border line button pusher!

Someone asked if I thought about calling law enforcement! I did think about it but the situation was so weird and the guy was so weird I really didn't know what to think to be honest with you.

The tellers did ask me if I was an officer and I said no not at all, why? They said they saw me taking position on the guy and moving for cover. I said naw I was getting out of his way so he could leave with all that money!

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Ditto Matt and Jarhead. Couldn't have said it better myself.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Senior Moderator
    well its illegal to enter a bank with a gun,
    Maybe where you are at, but here it is perfectly legal.

You should have had a hand on your OC Spray and a knife close by. As you said he never showed a gun.

One thing I think we all need to remember is that there are strange people out in society. Not all are bad just strange, some are mentally ill. We need to make sure we are not out looking for situations to get involved in with our CCW.

I just think we have forgotten about the non-lethal ways this situation could have been dealt with had it gone bad but without the perp having a gun.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Sound like a tweeker to me, trying to cash someone elses check. Did good to stand back and watch.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links