Dont we have a right to occupy space?

This is a discussion on Dont we have a right to occupy space? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; And not have that right taken from us by an aggressor. I keep hearing about getting distance between yourself and a potential threat all the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dont we have a right to occupy space?

And not have that right taken from us by an aggressor.

I keep hearing about getting distance between yourself and a potential threat all the time. Run first, if you cant then shoot. Why should you have to run?

You run because it's never a good idea to take someone's life because you are stubborn

and my martial arts teacher tells us "Distances saves you life. Timing takes theirs"

You'll kill or die for a square yard on a street or parking lot?!

What?

VIP Member
    Taking someones life should the last alternative. If at all possible avoid a deadly confrontation. There's a big difference in being "in the right" and doing the smart thing.

VIP Member
    Yes, you have the right to do lots of stupid things. They're still stupid things.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

now if the BG is in your house. That's different but you should still use deadly force as a last resort

Senior Moderator
    I keep hearing about getting distance between yourself and a potential threat all the time. Run first, if you cant then shoot. Why should you have to run?
    Back in the day when you could tell the difference between a man or a woman without having to argue about it with your friends, and respect was learned by all at a young age, a man didn't have to run.

Ever.

From anything or anybody.

He could stand his ground and any man that wanted that ground would challenge him for it with the understanding that only one of them would get it.What determined who got it, was the one that wanted it the most.

As society became more weenified and the laws came to be that were dictated by lesser men, giving up ground and fighting as the last resort became commonly taught.

Eventually, the concept of standing ones ground and not having to run from anyone became an obsolete concept that was understood by precious few.

Now the accepted norm is to run if you can and avoid a fight at all costs.

Personally, I get sick of being told how to act by fools that couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper sack if their life depended on it, by people that call themselves men without ever having to act like one or even knowing how to do it.

So when a man wonders why he should have to run first and fight later...

count yourself among the rare breed of men in todays society that can actually ponder such things, because the ability to think is being severely hampered by the public school curriculum which is designed to turn people into sheep, rather the warriors.

Should we have to run?

I say no. A man ought to be able to stand his ground if he is legally there, and not have to yield it for any reason.

I do understand however, that this is not a popular concept and that most people would express horror at the thought.

So be it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by earlthegoat2 View Post
    Distance = time, and both are your friends in a fire fight.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Distance and time give you OPTIONS. The option to escape from a bad situation without having to take a life or loosing your own. Also, depending on the jurisdiction, your may have the legal OBLIGATION to back away if possible. Just my opinion.

Good luck.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Dont we have a right to occupy space ... And not have that right taken from us by an aggressor.

Why should you have to run?
    Why, indeed.

I believe that people have every right to be where they are and to be unmolested for that, yes. But that doesn't alter what the good people of your state have codified as their beliefs as to what you may or may not do.

All things considered, fighting for that space you're presently occupying might well cost you your life, if you're unprepared to yield and go elsewhere ahead of some threat. Shouldn't be the way things are, I suppose, but it IS how things are.

Check the "Castle" and "Stand Your Ground" laws in various states, to see how they've gone about describing this "right" you speak of. That's about as good of an answer as you'll get, beyond what should be.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    My strategy is to stay live for my family, my friends, and myself. My tactics are to do what is necessary for strategic success.

To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    As society became more weenified......
    Wow, you have an expression for it too.

I call it the sissification of society.

VIP Member
    A wise man picks his battles, what he is willing to kill or die for. If leaving or even running gives me the ability to make that choice, that's what I am going to do!

In the unfortunate event that I have been forced to take another person's life, it will be evident that I did all within my control to avoid doing so.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

And let us not forget that sometimes a quick retreat (to put distance between us and the threat) is just what is necessary to buy time to draw. Ever see some of those tests and how quickly a determined assailant with a knife can close distance from 21 feet?

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Why should you have to run?
    I don't think any jurisdiction could legally require you to run; what if you were lame or in a wheel chair?

I run every 2 days for fitness and to maintain the ability to run if necessary in some kind of emergency.

I can see where running might be a desirable strategy. Imagine CC Jack walking down the street. He is passing a group of young men and one or two of them jump out in front of him for an apparent intimidation or assault exercise. If Jack considers shooting them instantly to be of questionable legality, he could sprint a short distance away from the group, then spin and blast whoever continues the threat by chasing him.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links