Did I over-react?

Did I over-react?

This is a discussion on Did I over-react? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Being that I have only been carrying concealed 24/7 now for a week, I'm not sure if maybe I over-reacted but I had my hand ...

Did I over-react?

Being that I have only been carrying concealed 24/7 now for a week, I'm not sure if maybe I over-reacted but I had my hand on my G27 and was ready to draw.

I got home tonight around 5:30 and was getting out of my truck when I hear a "Hey man, hey man!" I don't see anyone and think its a conversation a little way down the hill. I clear around the back of my truck and as I do so there is a guy I've never seen before coming at me from my left and clearing the space a little quickly. He starts asking me at the same time, "Hey man you gotta jovcpjiob,zx?" as in I can't comprehend the subject of what he means.

I instantly changed my posture so my right hip is away from him with my hand under my t-shirt on my grip and I put my left hand out and tell him, "Whoa, stop right there" to which he does. I asked him to repeat himself and he did, a couple times and I finally got "jack stand" out of it. He said he was trying to pull his motor mounts but that the maintenance man wasn't around. Since the maintenance truck was parked right there, he tried to ask for MY permission to take the maintenance man's property out of his truck. I asked him if he was really serious and that no way in hell could I give permission for him to take someone else's property. The whole thing was just weird. I told him I couldn't help him (I actually couldn't as I didn't have one anyways) I wished him good luck and then waited for him to turn around and start walking away before I proceeded inside.

Just another reason I'm in the process of moving out of here. My truck was broken into a couple months ago and a friend of mine was carjacked last year at a neighboring complex. The overall area is actually quite nice, these two complexes though have fallen fast and hard in the last year for some reason.

Did I over-react?

You done good. The only good gunfight is the one that doesn't happen. The only thing you did wrong is you let the conversation go on too long. While he had your attention, a partner could have been sneaking up on you from behind. While I might not have had my hand on my piece, it would have been very close to it. I've used holding my off hand out in the universal "stop" gesture and commanding in a low, forceful voice, "stay back". That can be followed with a "leave now" command. That, plus a meaningful "I mean business" look will stop most people. If you could get to your cell phone, beginning to dial 911 helps, too. Criminals want it easy. They don't want resistance and fur sur don't want a gunfight with a capable-appearing citizen.

Sounds like you did alright, but like Keltyke said, maybe be more aware of what may have been happening around you. You had your hand on your weapon and it appears that he didn't realize it hence no cops showing up at your door.

Joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    Nothing wrong with the way you handled the situation. You stopped the person before he got too close, and you were ready to do what was needed. Having your hand on your weapon, ready to draw is being prudent. Drawing under the circumstances described would have been the wrong thing to do, but what you did was acceptable.

I've had the 'hey man' thing from across the way here more than once in this apartment complex. I ignore them and don't even flinch or look that direction. I usually spot them if they're out and about when I am anyway. If they pursue me for a light for their cigarette, or jump start, or whatever...then I'll take immediate actions whether it be all brain, or brain/motor skills reaction. At 2am if I'm taking the trash out, I'm not welcoming any B.S. This aint a bad neighborhood, but we seem to have plenty of visitors that don't completely understand things. I feel for you in your situation. IMO, you do need to get out. Sometimes that's easier said than done. But I don't think you over-reacted. If you are questioning your actions in this instance, then maybe you're not quite sure of your circumstances. Looking at it from the outside, I'd say stay on your toes and do what you need to do in order to keep yourself among the living and suppress the B.S. that seems to befall you now and then. Be confident in yourself and your decisions from now on. You know when something crosses the line. If others draw the line, you don't necessarily need to play by their rules. But do yourself a favor and stay on the right side of the law no matter what. Records are just a phone call away. Keep yourself safe.

Damn, I didn't even think about behind me. I guess I was too concerned with trying to balance being a nice neighbor (if he actually was one) with keeping myself protected and also probably let the false sense of security of broad daylight effect me too. Great advice Keltyke I think. Will definitely cut the "conversation" short if there is a next time.

RamRod - I feel confident in my actions mainly because of the look on this guys face. It was that super-fake-showing-every-bit-of-your-teeth-con-man smile and that with everything else just reeked of wrongness.

Tunnel vision is a natural reaction to danger! You will instinctively want to focus in on the threat or potential threat. You don't want to miss out on the bad guy going for a weapon or miss what his next move is going to be.

Tunnel vision also is a component which often times gets people killed.

You have a lot to be doing in a potentially lethal encounter. You still have to remember that human predators act very similar to predators in the animal kingdom although for different reasons. And in that regard, human predators, like wolves, often travel in packs. Or at least couples.

So, while you want to remain focused on the threat at hand, and you will naturally be drawn to do that, you still want to make a conscious effort to be aware of what's going on around you. "Protect your flanks" and "cover your six" in military jargon...

How you perform those functions or actions not only protects you, but it also sends out signals to the predators that you are not to be messed with. At least not without consequences.

You see, if someone approaches you to ask for a favor, a match, a cigarette, what time is it, can I borrow a jack stand kind of thing.... We refer to this as "The Interview!" What they are doing is literally interviewing you to see how you are going to react. Are you gonna fumble around sheepishly looking for your bic lighter in your pocket, become distracted by looking at your watch or shy away and not make eye contact with them. They are reading your body language and at the same time trying to distract you.

Now, as they approach for their "interview" you immediately stand firm, look them square in the eye so there's no misunderstanding and with authority tell them to "Hold On," "Stand Back," or anything to break their momentum and then, quickly scan the area around you to see if anyone else is approaching from a different direction, and then immediately focus back on them. They are going to pick up on that!

At that point, if in fact they had nefarious intents in the first place, they will either back away and say excuse me and move on to another easier target. Or, they press you a little harder to see if you were just bluffing.

If they press you harder, you better make damn sure, and in a hurry, that if they continue, they are making a mistake! You have to show a little teeth and be prepared to do battle. This may mean that as this point you do put your hand on your gun and are prepared to draw. You do make sure you do another quick scan of the area for any other bad guys and you should be making movements towards moving to a position of cover.

All these actions should be done with a very business like, straight forward and in a professional type manner. You don't want to be wishy washy, and meek about it. Being uncertain in your actions sends out mixed signals to the wolf pack and may invite an attack. I avoid cursing and foul language of any kind. Even if they are cussing me up a storm. I become very serious and business like in my demeanor. I let them know, I am in control of my emotions and I am not going to blink when I act.

In your case, I think you handled yourself very well. You did not go overboard or did anything inappropriate.

Good job!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

You did just fine (from what you have shared), and you are still alive.
    The potential BG didn't cause harm and another day without incident will now pass...it's all good.

Stay armed...stay in yellow...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Give yourself a pat on the back.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

You did exactly what I would've done. Good job.

When in doubt, protect the strong side draw. IMO, it just might be the difference in life and death.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    I think you did fine. Myself, I'm not as fast to grab my weapon in a situation like that but who's to say that maybe I should be?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

to me, you handled it fine..... and was smart to do what you did.

+1 What Bark N said
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Links