Civil suit?

This is a discussion on Civil suit? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bad guys always intend to do you harm. Remember that. You as a defensive shooter have absolutely no means of "being knowlegable" as to the ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Civil suit?

Bad guys always intend to do you harm. Remember that.
    You as a defensive shooter have absolutely no means of "being knowlegable" as to the true or hidden agenda of a bad guy.

2. Remove Ads

It would seem to depend on where you are if involved in a SD shooting.

Home - most state castle doctrines make you immune from civil suit if the official decision was a justified shooting.

On the street/outside the areas that the castle doctrines cover...whole 'nother game depending on each state, and quite possibly jurisdiction that the event occurred.

MitchellCT - one would need to be a paralegal at a minimum to understand the civil code/statutes and so forth.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post

MitchellCT - one would need to be a paralegal at a minimum to understand the civil code/statutes and so forth.
    Well gee.

I guess people aught to do more realistic, relevant and recent training, take a self defense and the law class every so often and make avoidance, deesclation and running away near and dear to their heart.

Like I said above, that would make the problem a non-issue; however, it's just not cool to do those things...I suggest getting Black's Law Dictionary along with your state civil procedure manual.

It's not like anyone will ever bother to do anything to avoid the problem everyone wants to talk about as if they do this kind of thing for a living...

Mississippi law provides for immunity from any civil suit if it falls under Castle Doctrine.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post

But I'll bet naked photos of myself to be posted on the internet (not here...) that nobody wants to take a class were the goal is sitting around, listening to someone talk about when to use force, how to make the decision, then putting you in situations were you need to make those decisions under stress, then analyzing how poorly you reacted, and maybe getting the stuffing pounded out of you in the process of doing those realistic scenarios to better prepare you for a real encounter.
    In all seriousness, I would love to take a class like that. I wish I had access to training that allowed me to think about situations before I was put them. That is why I love this part of the forums best. I think Biker said it before, but the above is all part of the training that most of us should have to CCW.

One other note, I just checked with my insurance guy. I have a larger personal liability policy for $300 per year. He said it DOES cover the cost of litigation. The cost of litigation is NOT a reduction in the policy coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick68 View Post
    In all seriousness, I would love to take a class like that. I wish I had access to training that allowed me to think about situations before I was put them. That is why I love this part of the forums best. I think Biker said it before, but the above is all part of the training that most of us should have to CCW.
    Tactical Responce class named "The Fight"
    Shivworks class on Managing Unknown Contacts.

Google.
    Read.
    Attend.

MitchellCT-
    Thanks for the lead on the course. Here is a great story about it from a student. It got my blood pumping and mind racing just reading it:
    Review of Tactical Response's The Fight class (force on force scenarios) - Topic Powered by Eve Community

Tuition is roughly $450.
    Travel & motel should be about the same...

You wanna get your ego crushed, bruised up and learn something...

Or you want that new Kimber?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links