Wife's co-worker was agressively approached last night

This is a discussion on Wife's co-worker was agressively approached last night within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night my wife is talking with one of the staff members at the local children shelter that she works with. The co-worker had just ...

Thread: Wife's co-worker was agressively approached last night

Wife's co-worker was agressively approached last night

Last night my wife is talking with one of the staff members at the local children shelter that she works with. The co-worker had just left work and called my wife to ask her a quick work question. While my wife is on the phone, and my wife says, "Brittany? What's going on? Brittany?" During this time my wife heard a male's voice ask her for directions, to which Brittany said she didn't know how to get to wherever he was going. Next my wife heard the male ask if she had any money. Brittany said no. He asked again, and again she said no. He asked a third time, and she said, "If I had any money I'd give it to you." At this point he walked away.

She was lucky.

1st. She walked out of a building on a cell phone, not paying any attention at night...in a bad area of town.

2nd. She was fumbling through her purse for her keys while on the phone.

3rd. She has a taser...in her purse, which she didn't even think about.

My thoughts are that she should have, upon being startled (he came upon her from the right, blind-side) get immediate distance, and declare that he stop. My wife should have conveyed to me what was happening instead of just listening to the entire ordeal so I could have called 911. They do often have police patrolling that are, so it is possible that response time would have been short...possible. She should have had her keys in her hand when she left the building, watching her perimeter when leaving the building, with a hand in her purse ON her taser and she should have been OFF the phone.

She says she plans on getting a CWP, however that wouldn't have helped in her EXACT situation as she would be required to leave it in her car according to SC law. However, she would have had access to it if she could have reached her car fast enough.

Anyway...she got really lucky. I think it's because she was on the phone that he may have left her alone.

Thoughts? Oh, and he was a large man according to her description.
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like she did get lucky. Maybe this will open her eyes and she will learn to keep her SA on!
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

She says she plans on getting a CWP, however that wouldn't have helped in her EXACT situation as she would be required to leave it in her car according to SC law. However, she would have had access to it if she could have reached her car fast enough.
    In another post about 13 things to avoid being robbed, running to your car is a bad idea.
    Run to people.

He did only ask for money...no crime, but she could have easily become a serious victim. She needs some 'being alert' lessons...not to mention a SD weapon with a punch.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

She should sell the taser unless she would prefer to get "lit up" like a Christmas tree before being raped.

If her head is that far in the clouds, no tool is going to save her!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Survival of the fittest?

She got very lucky, and it sounds like it's opened her eyes. You should print off a bunch of literature for her to read. (13 tips, as mentioned above http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...d-robbery.html )

Above all, talk to her about SA, and make sure that your wife gets the same information, since she works in the same place.
    "In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box."
    -- Steve Symms, US Senator from Idaho, 1990

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    She should sell the taser unless she would prefer to get "lit up" like a Christmas tree before being raped.

If her head is that far in the clouds, no tool is going to save her!
    Very true.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sejune View Post
    "If I had any money I'd give it to you."
    I like that. It sounds genuine and if spoken with sincerity might well diffuse a situation.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Links