Chemical Spray Robberies

Chemical Spray Robberies

This is a discussion on Chemical Spray Robberies within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Chemical spray used in another PA robbery By THE ENTERPRISE October 9, 2009 Posted: October 9, 2009, 1:32 PM CDT Port Arthur Police have arrested ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar

Chemical Spray Robberies

Chemical spray used in another PA robbery
    By THE ENTERPRISE
    October 9, 2009
    Posted: October 9, 2009, 1:32 PM CDT

Port Arthur Police have arrested another person who used a chemical spray, this time it was mace, in an attempted robbery that mimicked three robberies on Monday.
    About 8 a.m. Friday morning, officers were called to the H.E.B. at 3401 Gulfway on the report of a robbery, according to a police department news release.
    A suspect had struck and then sprayed a 65-year-old woman with what police say was mace while trying to steal her purse, according to a police department news release.
    But the woman resisted and raised the alarm, which forced the suspect to flee, according to a police department news release.
    With information from witnesses, police were able to arrest the suspect and others involved in the robbery, according to a police department news release.
    Two Port Arthur teens were arrested Monday in connection with three aggravated robberies.
    Port Arthur Police say Hakeem Fagan Winn, 17, and Eddie Davon Keller, 19, used pepper spray to disable their victims.

So, now OC and Mace will be banned? This is the first I have heard of this sort of robbery. Are the crooks poor?No gun? Maybe this is a kind-gentle type of robbery. This city is close to me, a real cesspool.

IIRC, it's a felony to use chemical sprays as an offensive weapon in NC. So I'm assuming it happens more than we think.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    this happened here in Spokane the other day:

Baskin Robbins robbed with a spray can - KXLY.com: News, Weather and Sports for Spokane, WA and Coeur d'Alene, ID |

Baskin Robbins robbed with a spray can
    Posted: Oct 09, 2009 8:29 AM Updated: Oct 09, 2009 11:59 AM

SPOKANE -- A man armed with a spray can robbed the South Hill Baskin Robbins Thursday night and got away with cash.

The clerk at the Baskin Robbins in the 1200 block of South Grand told police a man walked into the store alone, pointed a black canister with a red nozzle at her and demanded money.

The employee gave the man an undisclosed amount of money, saying she was afraid of being sprayed with a chemical agent.

The robber took off on foot with a green canvas bag.

He is described as a younger white man, about 5 feet 10 inches tall with a thin build and scruffy facial hair.

Anyone with information about this robbery is asked to call 242-TIPS.

If you carry a firearm, you should also have some pepper spray. If you have some pepper spray, you should have tried using it in some wind...this tells you how it 'really' works and allows you to sample its effects as the blow back hits you. Why is this important? Well, if you don't know its effects, how are you going to react when it hits you in a 'real' situation?
    If some idiot sprays me in an attempt to rob me (if he can get that close), I'm fairly certain I can 'point shoot' with spray in my eyes... (Man, that stuff really burns.)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Agree.
    Though it obviously hurt like heck, I consider the OC training I received as some of the most valuable I've had to date. We were sprayed, then forced to engage both H2H and with Airsoft weapons while under effect.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If you carry a firearm, you should also have some pepper spray. If you have some pepper spray, you should have tried using it in some wind...this tells you how it 'really' works and allows you to sample its effects as the blow back hits you. Why is this important? Well, if you don't know its effects, how are you going to react when it hits you in a 'real' situation?
    If some idiot sprays me in an attempt to rob me (if he can get that close), I'm fairly certain I can 'point shoot' with spray in my eyes... (Man, that stuff really burns.)
    Amazing how this thread came up. I was watching some "Wildest Police Chases" or something 2 nights ago and saw a sheriff walk up to a parked truck on the side of the road. A drunk driver was sleeping. When the LEO tried to wake him up the drunk starting fighting and hitting the LOE. When the LEO backed away the drunk starting walking toward him. Despite repeating warnings and drawing his weapon, the drunk kept walking toward the LEO. The LEO pulled out pepper spray with his weak hand and sprayed the drunk. It disabled him and then LEO was able to arrest him. Smart thinking on the LEO to use less-than deadly force to resolve the situation.

It really got me thinking. If I was in the same situation (as a NON-LEO), without pepper spray, I would be forced to shoot the guy (I think). I have no desire to shoot him, but I don't want to stand there and be his punching bag.

Now to my other thoughts....how do you carry pepper spray, your concealed weapon, maybe a 2nd clip, flashlight, and edged weapon without looking like you have a LEO occupational belt on! I am not trying to model clothes on a runway fashion show while concealing, but when I am with customers, I do want to keep all of this protection discreet.

DM2
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick68 View Post
    Now to my other thoughts....how do you carry pepper spray, your concealed weapon, maybe a 2nd clip, flashlight, and edged weapon without looking like you have a LEO occupational belt on! I am not trying to model clothes on a runway fashion show while concealing, but when I am with customers, I do want to keep all of this protection discreet.
    I'd be interested in responses to this too.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by DM2 View Post
    I'd be interested in responses to this too.
    I do so most every day.

Today I wore the following in such a manner:

* Right side IWB holster w/Colt Defender at 3 o'clock
    * Folding knife clipped to my right rear pocket as inserted to the right most corner
    * Wallet in left rear pocket
    * 1 ten round magazine in mag holster on belt at left side at 8 o'clock
    * 1 can of Aerko Freeze +P 'LEO' size OC/CS spray as carried/concealed in an open bottom expanding clam shell design type universal fit cell phone carrier
    * LG 'Lotus' cellphone in left front pant pocket (for ease of access with my off-hand)
    * Keyring stowed in right front pant pocket

This is my pretty much everyday norm and mode of carry.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

For me it's Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck at 3:00, fox 2 1/2 oz
    at 8:00, xtra mag at 9:30, cell phone 11:00, knife left rear pocket or left front depending on pants, wallet rt rear pocket, Surefire e2d defender in left front if wearing cargo shorts or cargo long pants, keys in front rt.
    Glock Driver

Distinguished Member
    These all still sound like Batman rigs.

My pholosophy, due to my required office apparel is: "it's IWB, or it's not for me"

The only thing visible on my belt is my blackberry.

When I'm casual, I generally wear an unbuttoned shirt over a tshirt, so gun, mags, phone, knife, light and multitool are easy to keep covered

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Many OC sprays can be had with clips on them. I can carry my gun AND my spray IWB with no problem. I do sometimes leave the spare mag and knife behind if I have to look neat and less lumpy though.
    I have on occasion worn a small OC on a neck chain as well.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

"Liquid Hell" Yes! Part of my EDC

[QUOTE=Maverick68;1331385
    It really got me thinking. If I was in the same situation (as a NON-LEO), without pepper spray, I would be forced to shoot the guy (I think). I have no desire to shoot him, but I don't want to stand there and be his punching bag.

Now to my other thoughts....how do you carry pepper spray, your concealed weapon, maybe a 2nd clip, flashlight, and edged weapon without looking like you have a LEO occupational belt on! I am not trying to model clothes on a runway fashion show while concealing, but when I am with customers, I do want to keep all of this protection discreet.[/QUOTE]

This is the reason that I always carry OC. I have various size canisters to accommodate any situation. If all you have is a hammer every problem looks like a nail. I want to be able to meet force with the appropriate force.
    "In a moment of crisis you will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training". http://www.FreedomTrainerTarget.com

Xader whose saying we can't and don't wear a shirt or t-shirt whilst covered.
    We're civilians. It's cops who wear utility belts and they carry their gear openly with far more than what we've reported.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I am Batman! Well I feel like it more everyday!

Handgun G19 either OC in Serpa or CC in Supertuck about 3:00.
    Wallet back right pocket.
    pepper spray clipped inside left pocket
    cell phone either holster on left side or in left front pocket
    extra mag left side on belt, generic cell phone case
    knife in right pocket
    light in right pocket
    If I have cargo pockets I'll sometimes stash the extra mag or light in a cargo pocket to lessen the Batman look.

I feel that if I am going to carry a handgun I also need to keep some less lethal options as well. Not every situation needs a gun. And using one in that situation will cost you dearly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links