Situation at my Apt complex last night.

This is a discussion on Situation at my Apt complex last night. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife has been uncomfortable several times returning to our complex alone. One guy in particular spends a significant amount of time loitering in the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Situation at my Apt complex last night.

Situation at my Apt complex last night.

My wife has been uncomfortable several times returning to our complex alone. One guy in particular spends a significant amount of time loitering in the parking lot, walking from end to end on the phone. His perogative, but odd. He also adapts the appearance of a thug, pretty much every time I see him. Several times when my wife has come home this guy, and in one case his friends, has watched her all the way from her vehicle to the front door of our apt.

Last night I got home and locked my car but didn't check it as thoroughly as normal (which is admittedly pretty thoroughly normally) because there was someone walking by with dogs and my wife started calling me (I was a little late). After I took my stuff in I knew she wanted me to get some stuff from her vehicle.

So... I'm leaning in the back door picking her stuff up and I hear a van coming down the drive with music playing loudly and the van stopped right behind our truck. I turned toward it pretty quickly at that point.. (I had been aware of the van at the end of the parking lot as I was going toward our truck.) Turns out the driver, the guy that has caused her the most worry, is rather awkwardly, perhaps drunkenly, trying to back into a space with his door hanging open while bellowing out the window to the music on the radio. So I got my stuff, locked the truck, went to the door where my wife was waiting and told her to lock the door while I went and doublechecked my car. On the way back I see the guy is still bellowing out the window and not getting out of his vehicle, as I got to the door, he was getting out and I was watching from the shadow of the entrance to my apartment and the next. He sees me watching and says "what are you looking at."

"Just seeing what's going on."

"Are you looking at me?"

"Just seeing what's going on. You having a good night?"

So he made a "come on" with his hands and stares back at me while he walks on a diagonal toward his building, away from me, and puts his hand on his waist. I've seen him walking like that frequently, so I'm pretty sure he was just trying to keep his pants up. But at that point I was very nervous.

He got far enough away that I turned and went into the apartment locked the door, triple checked it, and spent 30 minutes getting back to my normal post work state of grouchiness.

I ran into the guy in the parking lot this afternoon at the dumpster. I'm not sure he knew it was me, but he wasn't confrontational. I said "Afternoon" and he said "sup" and we went on our way.

I am thinking he was probably as nervous as I was and was trying to bluff last night. But I'm not wanting to gamble on that.

We have a weapon but it stays at home in case my wife needs it at home.

As I have posted I just this weekend put a Glock on layaway, but still have 80% left to pay off.

So we went to walmart today and got a bat to go in the front doorway and I was looking for something to carry in my bag for the parking lot. I was thinking something like a hammer handle, when my wife saw the MAG lights on the next aisle. I now have a full sized alluminum flashlight that will be in my hand in the lot at night, and also at work because it has bothered me not having anything with me while doing security rounds at night.

Did I handle this correctly? What should I have done different? I don't think I had any SA issues because I was aware of everything around me the whole time. I knew the van was behind me as I was getting stuff from the truck and went to full alert when it stopped right by me.
    Last edited by CJ810; October 9th, 2009 at 05:58 PM. Reason: grammar

2. Remove Ads

Sounds to me like you handled it very well.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Hello: CJ810, The fellow you had trouble with sounds like a wolf looking for easy prey. You said your weapon was in apt. for your wife if she needs it. I do not know how experienced you and wife are with said weapon. I would look into a lock blade folder with a pocket clip for each of you and make the blade as large as you can carry, and work with it until it is a part of each of you. Your flashlight is a good thing for you, but with winter coming on and days getting shorter your wife may find herself in near darkness at times. Consider a tactical flashlight for her and pepper spray for both of you. Remember wolfs travel on packs and gain courage from each other, if it comes down you may have to deal with more than just one; work on becoming a husband and wife defense team. When my wife and I began to work together as a defense team we became a lot harder target for any wolf or wolf pack. 4 eyes better than 2, 4 ears better than 2, 2 folding lock blades better than 0. Be careful you can not carry that bat in your truck by law, but you can carry a single edge knife with up to 5.5 inch blade on you.

I would not have made verbal contact with the idiot...just ignore him and carry on with your business.
    I would get an extra job and get that Glock paid off......pronto!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You can't carry a bat in your vehicle? What kind of dumb law says I can't have a bat in my vehicle when I can have a gun there? Typical legislative schizophrenia. Good to know because we had talked about getting another bat for her truck. Thanks.

She has pepper spray and I've asked her to take the safety off when she's alone in the parking lot. BTW is pepper spray ok on a college campus in TX?

I'll look into the knives. She had actually asked me this morning if it was legal to carry her dirk (posted that question in the relevant forum). It's a gorgeous scottish dirk. I prefer the pepper spray because of its range.

She's shot the gun we have because it was hers to start with. She's gone to the range with me, but hasn't entered the range so far because it is indoor and rules say pregnant woman shouldn't go in, and there's the possibility. We've been planning to go to her dad's gun club and shoot there at the outdoor range.

Texas has some very strange laws about what you can have in your car. If you have a ball bat it is a good idea to have a ball glove and baseball also. If you are stopped this may provide some cover for the bat.
    Don't know about pepper spray on collage campus, but pocket knife should be find as long as state law is obeyed as to length and such. College may have rules about carrying of knifes.
    Unborn baby's ears are very sensitive to gun fire. Check into this before going to range.
    Knife laws are strange in Texas, Diggers (pointed and sharp on both sides are illegal to carry, as is blade over 5.5# long.) Consider that she may not want to lose the dirk by leaving it in car or having LEO take it as illegal weapon etc.
    I would consider getting each of you a whistle and putting it on both of you key rings.
    Remember: It is said, predators can smell fear so walk with courage and just be aware. Be strong!!!!!!!!

Can you have a machete or a hatchet ?

If you can't have a bat in a vehicle, how are you supposed to get it to a ball game or the batting cage? I keep a machete in my Jeep at all times, along with tow straps, chains, Off mosquito repelant, hunting knives, multitools, and other stuff that I use in the woods ordinarily.

Back to the OP. I know I don't have all the info, but I would just keep an eye on this guy when he is around when you or your wife are outside. With the infor I have I would not really consider him a threat, but is someone I would watch, just like I would watch most everyone else if I lived in an apartment.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

How about a tire iron or a pry bar?

I didn't have time last night but thought I would post this now. Bats or clubs are not illlegal if carried in a vehicle in the state of Texas. Here is the statute that says you can carry then to and fron the vehicle and at your own property.

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:

(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or

(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Pepper spray or a taser while you're waiting for your weapon.

I keep an ASP in my Back Pocket
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Quote Originally Posted by CJ810 View Post
    My wife has been uncomfortable several times returning to our complex alone. One guy in particular spends a significant amount of time loitering in the parking lot, walking from end to end on the phone. His perogative, but odd. He also adapts the appearance of a thug, pretty much every time I see him. Several times when my wife has come home this guy, and in one case his friends, has watched her all the way from her vehicle to the front door of our apt.

Last night I got home and locked my car but didn't check it as thoroughly as normal (which is admittedly pretty thoroughly normally) because there was someone walking by with dogs and my wife started calling me (I was a little late). After I took my stuff in I knew she wanted me to get some stuff from her vehicle.

So... I'm leaning in the back door picking her stuff up and I hear a van coming down the drive with music playing loudly and the van stopped right behind our truck. I turned toward it pretty quickly at that point.. (I had been aware of the van at the end of the parking lot as I was going toward our truck.) Turns out the driver, the guy that has caused her the most worry, is rather awkwardly, perhaps drunkenly, trying to back into a space with his door hanging open while bellowing out the window to the music on the radio. So I got my stuff, locked the truck, went to the door where my wife was waiting and told her to lock the door while I went and doublechecked my car. On the way back I see the guy is still bellowing out the window and not getting out of his vehicle, as I got to the door, he was getting out and I was watching from the shadow of the entrance to my apartment and the next. He sees me watching and says "what are you looking at."

"Just seeing what's going on."

"Are you looking at me?"

"Just seeing what's going on. You having a good night?"

So he made a "come on" with his hands and stares back at me while he walks on a diagonal toward his building, away from me, and puts his hand on his waist. I've seen him walking like that frequently, so I'm pretty sure he was just trying to keep his pants up. But at that point I was very nervous.

He got far enough away that I turned and went into the apartment locked the door, triple checked it, and spent 30 minutes getting back to my normal post work state of grouchiness.

I ran into the guy in the parking lot this afternoon at the dumpster. I'm not sure he knew it was me, but he wasn't confrontational. I said "Afternoon" and he said "sup" and we went on our way.

I am thinking he was probably as nervous as I was and was trying to bluff last night. But I'm not wanting to gamble on that.

We have a weapon but it stays at home in case my wife needs it at home.

As I have posted I just this weekend put a Glock on layaway, but still have 80% left to pay off.

So we went to walmart today and got a bat to go in the front doorway and I was looking for something to carry in my bag for the parking lot. I was thinking something like a hammer handle, when my wife saw the MAG lights on the next aisle. I now have a full sized alluminum flashlight that will be in my hand in the lot at night, and also at work because it has bothered me not having anything with me while doing security rounds at night.

Did I handle this correctly? What should I have done different? I don't think I had any SA issues because I was aware of everything around me the whole time. I knew the van was behind me as I was getting stuff from the truck and went to full alert when it stopped right by me.
    buy her a pump 870 shotgun from walmart and carry the pistol. if thats the weapon you have at the house...
    Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck EDC

Ruger LCP W/ CT "the go anywhere gun" EDC

"ALWAYS carry!NEVERtell!" Thumper

We have a guy like that at our apartment complex. He's most likely a drug dealer. The guy at our apartment was a little unnerving but after talking with him he's a decent enough guy for a drug dealer. Doesn't bother anyone. I would keep any eye on him but usually if you dont mess with them they wont mess with you

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    I keep an ASP in my Back Pocket
    What good is have a bat inside the trunk of your vehicle 50 feet away? If you are going to carry a bat,make sure you carry a ball and glove.
    I would probley carry an ASP in front pocket. If you carry an ASP, see if you can take a class to gets certified on the use of it. CYA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links