Backup CCW's for Travel...

This is a discussion on Backup CCW's for Travel... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We have a family situation and I need to get my wife home; So, I am going to be taking a road trip droping off ...

Thread: Backup CCW's for Travel...

Backup CCW's for Travel...

We have a family situation and I need to get my wife home; So, I am going to be taking a road trip droping off my family (wife and kids)and flying home, then flying back to get them in a couple weeks.

Here's my plan: I will carry my backups weapons (out of retirement) on the road trip, a 380 IWB and 22 LR BUG in pocket. I will leave them when I fly out. Which will leave my normal carry rotation available when I fly in. Trying to avoid checking anybags, just walking on and walking off the plane (clothes and such on both ends). Depending on who picks me up at the airport will depend on whether I have them bring me a "bag" to meet me... Then when I fly back to pick them up, they will be there waiting for me...

I have always thought about having 2 of each of my main carry guns I guess in this situation it would be beneficial... I am confident in my retired ccw's just moved up in caliber and down in weight. Will also have the car gun for the road trip.

If anyone has any comments or has encountered a similar situation please chime in...

2. Remove Ads

Where are you flying to? Not a bad idea but if you are legal on both end why on check it in small suitcase and strap up in bathroom after the luggage comes out?

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Where are you flying to? Not a bad idea but if you are legal on both end why on check it in small suitcase and strap up in bathroom after the luggage comes out?
    I also travel light...but I would probably do this...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Orlando airport, Jet blue counter no problem check in and screening 3-4 minutes top. As I stated in other posts. I stopped crubside and while wife unloaded the rest of the suitcases. I was in and out before she was done unloading rest of the luggage. Easy breeze. Even at JFK (NY) check-in no problem 10 minutes wait for Port Authorty Police to show up, dropped and waited for TSA to screen bag thru X-ray had to re-checked suitcase because I think shoes caused some type of shadow. Will let you know flying out of JFK again this time heading to Vegas in 3 weeks.

Must pay to check bags, for one reason. Other is conveinence, inet checkin, boarding pass, walk to security, walk on plane... walk off head home... If I was checking another bag I would...

I felt that $20.00 that I paid each ($40.00) way for checked bag thru Delta was a small price to pay to be armed.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Fly Southwest, no fee to check your first bag. Check your credit card, it may have that as a feature as well. I know if I get my banks airline debit card, I can check bags free, but I usually only use carry on when I fly, but then again, I have never had a CHL when I traveled, so that will change if I take a future trip.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Side Question:

What is the rule to fly with a weapon in your luggage?

Here's a good guide:
    Air Travel With Firearms
    It can vary per airline, but basically the gun is unloaded locked in a hard sided case contained within your suitcase. Ammo generally in factory ammo boxes, not in the same case as the gun (can be in the same suitcase). Announce when you check in that you need to declare an unloaded firearm. They'll usually have you sign a declaration that it's unloaded and place one copy in with the firearm, and the bag then gets special treatment. Depending on the size of the airport sometimes this means you get to watch the TSA rifle through your underwear, which is a good thing if you ask me.

It's pretty easy, really. Do NOT let them mark your bags externally with any indicator of a firearm, that's just a "steal me" tag.

I just flew both ways with Delta out of Detroit and back from Seattle. They want your firearm unloaded and locked (with a keyed padlock, NOT a TSA lock) in a hardside gun case (I used my XD case it came in) in the presence of a security officer then luggage is locked externally with a TSA lock. They then take your checked bag and it doesn't go through the normal counter-check procedure. You also can't do curbside baggage check in when transporting a firearm. It all went very smoothly and adds between 15-20 minutes to your checkin times. This was my experience with Delta, YMMV but I would definitely do it again!

I had a lot more peace of mind about my 1500 miles of mostly late-nite driving over 10 days with my XD nearby!

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I have considered having a backup to my CCW gun for a different reason, actually- in case I ever have to use it, I want to have a gun to carry while the one I used is sitting in an evidence locker for God only knows how long.

But you definitely make a good point. Heck, as far as travel is concerned, I might want to have another one for WHEN a gun is stolen out of my luggage.

Links