Odd situation on the creek.....

This is a discussion on Odd situation on the creek..... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is my first post on this wonderful forum, so I would like to say hello to everyone. A situation came up the other day ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Odd situation on the creek.....

This is my first post on this wonderful forum, so I would like to say hello to everyone.

A situation came up the other day in which I was very happy I was carrying. It was, in fact, nothing to be alarmed about, but it very well could have been. My fiance and I were on our way to a buddies house and we were passing through an area in which lots of folks ride horses, swim, fish, camp, etc. We are in this area quite frequently. As we came down a hill and around a curve we passed two strange vehicles, and on around the curve we found seven dogs in the road. A mother, her five pups, and an oddball puppy. Us, being the animal lovers we are, decided we would pick them up. This was about 6:30 in the evening. A few of them were very timid, so we knew it would take a while to get them all. I called my Mom to bring a kennel, and we began rounding up dogs. As it got dark, I realized we needed a spotlight. I sent Mom to get one, and there my fiance and I sat in the dark, on the creek, at the bottom of a holler. It was probably 10:00pm at this point. As we sat on my tailgate, my fiance became alarmed. She had spotted a single flashlight headed up the creek toward us. Her first question was "You have your gun, right?" Of course I did. I told her to calm down, it was probably just a hunter, but then I thought to myself that it was an odd hour for a deer hunter to be walking around by himself. The light kept getting closer, I opened and closed my truck door a time or two to let him know we were there. As he got closer and was definately headed toward us, one of the dogs began barking and I was very uneasy. It was at this point that I realized how unhappy I am with my mode of carry. I never got around to getting a high quality holster, because my uncle mikes was very comfortable. However, it is soft and I never really trusted it to guard the trigger well enough to carry one chambered, and it has a velcro thumb break on it. I realized if this guy meant harm, there was no way I could have my gun ready fast enough. I actually unholstered my glock and stuck it in the front of my belt with my hand on it. Come to find out, the strange character was, in fact, a deer hunter that was lost. He was walking the wrong way up the creek trying to get back to his vehicle. The important lesson I learned here was 1, get a good quality holster...and 2, it sure is nice to feel protected in a situation like that.

VIP Member
    Welcome from a fellow newb. I too never carried one in the pipe until I joined this forum (old habits die hard). The good folks here straightened me out pretty quick. I think you'll find most here very knowledgeable and helpful.

Welcome! Sounds like things worked out well for you. No actual threat, you thought things through. You realized some steps you could take to be better prepared.

It also sounds like your GF is open to the idea of guns. Maybe she should have own gun.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

WELCOME to DC
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post
    Welcome! Sounds like things worked out well for you. No actual threat, you thought things through. You realized some steps you could take to be better prepared.

It also sounds like your GF is open to the idea of guns. Maybe she should have own gun.
    Yup. welcome, and what about the GF getting armed?

It sounds like you learned a few valuable lessons, so get some good leather, carry chambered and carry on!

BTW, good on you for caring for those dogs. You're my kind of folks!

"Don't Tread on Me"

Welcome from Missouri. We have lots of creeks, hollers and hunters here too.

Great story! It's great how you came to some realizations as your situation progressed. We can all learn from our own mistakes if we are willing to look at it from a teaching perspective.

Although, I don't think you had any "mistakes", you did realize the benefit of having a quality holster and how carrying without a round in the chamber could cost you critical seconds when seconds will be the deciding factor of our fate.

Glad to have you on board here at the forum! Welcome!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

RMS
    Welcome from West Kentucky.

Welcome from Las Vegas, Nevada!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Welcome from MN. I carry in a Tucker Gunleather IWB tuckable holster. Tucker Gunleather They are excellent IMHO.

By the way, thanks for helping the dog and her pups. My wife an I have rescued at least 7 dogs and puppy's over the years too.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    Yup. welcome, and what about the GF getting armed?

It sounds like you learned a few valuable lessons, so get some good leather, carry chambered and carry on!

BTW, good on you for caring for those dogs. You're my kind of folks!

+ 1
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

+1
    Welcome from the Palmetto State
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

Welcome from Virginia.

There's nothing like a heightened sense of awareness to let you know ware your defenses need a little work.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Sounds like "have a good flashlight with you" is the lesson here, isn't it?

First off welcome to the forum you'll love it here.

As far as your situation i had one like that a while back on a trip to GA and I learned that I'll never leave home without it. Thankfully this was an easy lesson learned not a hard one.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

welcome from illinois

Thatd be a tense time to learn the lesson lol but seems like it always is

this is a great place to find what works and what dosent
    "On the subject of Osama bin Laden... we will track him down. We will capture him. We will bring him to justice, and I will follow him to the gates of hell."-John McCain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links