Confirmation

This is a discussion on Confirmation within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I pastor a small church about two miles outside our small town. I'm also the secretary/treasurer for our ministerial alliance, and as such, I help ...

Thread: Confirmation

Confirmation

I pastor a small church about two miles outside our small town. I'm also the secretary/treasurer for our ministerial alliance, and as such, I help all kinds of folks with utilities, groceries, gas, etc. Lately there have been a few questionable characters stopping by, and there have been a couple of near-fights involving other members of our alliance.

I had a CHL in Texas ten years ago, but when I came to Oklahoma, I never sought one here, and ended up selling my handguns. But the folks stopping by, and just the general sense of responsibility for my/my family's/my congregation's safety have led me to re-arm. I just purchased a Springfield XD(m) .40 and took my class to get my Oklahoma permit.

The church building and the parsonage that is my home sit together on 16 acres of land just outside of town, and I'm legal to carry while at home and in the office. I just have to disarm when I leave until the permit arrives. I've got a custom leather holster on the way from NM Holsters, but I also purchased a SmartCarry copy to use on occasion. The confirmation that is the title of this post came today when I put the holster on for the first time with my weapon loaded and ready.

I was alone in my office this afternoon, and had just loaded both magazines, chambered a round, and tucked the pistol and spare magazine securely into the holster. No sooner had I pulled up my pants and sat down in my chair than I heard a loud, poorly-running engine outside my window. I went to the porch to see a man in his early forties, alone, get out of a beaten up late-90's red Jeep Cherokee and walk towards me. His demeanor and mannerisms were very strange, and very like the bug wearing the "Edgar suit" in the movie Men in Black. His speech was strange, he walked with a pronounced limp, and was just generally "not right." I approached watchfully, and did my best to converse with him at a comfortable distance in the parking lot.

It turns out he was simply a disturbed individual looking for some help. I gave him vouchers for a meal at a local establishment and a night in the local hotel, and when I told him of the requirement for a law enforcement signature in order to use them, he immediately started telling me the story of why he had no driver's license. I told him he should just discuss that with our friendly police force at city hall, and he got in his vehicle and left.

Obviously there was no threat here, but this incident, coming precisely at the moment I had armed myself, confirmed for me that I had made a good decision. I was confident throughout the encounter, knowing that if a threat did materialize, I would not be helpless.

Sorry for the length, but I'm still amazed at the timing of this. By the way, I talked later with the police chief in town, and no one in a red Cherokee ever stopped by. Guess that counter-signature requirement was a good idea...
    He said to them, "But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one."

- Luke 22:36 (ESV)

2. Remove Ads

Welcome.

I'm glad that your confirmation was affirming without being life altering.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    I can certainly relate to that situation. I am glad that it was a non-incident.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Get that permit...unless you don't need it because you already have the 'robbery schedule' for your area...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You're a target, Parson.
    You're the soft touch that does kind things for people.
    Those who take advantage often get vigorously unpleasant when they don't get everything they want, when they want it, in the amounts they want.
    I saw that with Red Cross Disaster Services.
    I was a lawman at the time and the sight of a 1911 in my off-duty, civilian-attired fist convinced one fellow he really shouldn't try to bayonet one of our workers with a mop handle.
    He'd come in demanding a sum of money to clean up flood damage.
    He received housing at the County's expense for some time thereafter.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Kenney View Post
    I pastor a small church about two miles outside our small town. I'm also the secretary/treasurer for our ministerial alliance, and as such, I help all kinds of folks with utilities, groceries, gas, etc. Lately there have been a few questionable characters stopping by, and there have been a couple of near-fights involving other members of our alliance.

I had a CHL in Texas ten years ago, but when I came to Oklahoma, I never sought one here, and ended up selling my handguns. But the folks stopping by, and just the general sense of responsibility for my/my family's/my congregation's safety have led me to re-arm. I just purchased a Springfield XD(m) .40 and took my class to get my Oklahoma permit.

The church building and the parsonage that is my home sit together on 16 acres of land just outside of town, and I'm legal to carry while at home and in the office. I just have to disarm when I leave until the permit arrives. I've got a custom leather holster on the way from NM Holsters, but I also purchased a SmartCarry copy to use on occasion. The confirmation that is the title of this post came today when I put the holster on for the first time with my weapon loaded and ready.

I was alone in my office this afternoon, and had just loaded both magazines, chambered a round, and tucked the pistol and spare magazine securely into the holster. No sooner had I pulled up my pants and sat down in my chair than I heard a loud, poorly-running engine outside my window. I went to the porch to see a man in his early forties, alone, get out of a beaten up late-90's red Jeep Cherokee and walk towards me. His demeanor and mannerisms were very strange, and very like the bug wearing the "Edgar suit" in the movie Men in Black. His speech was strange, he walked with a pronounced limp, and was just generally "not right." I approached watchfully, and did my best to converse with him at a comfortable distance in the parking lot.

It turns out he was simply a disturbed individual looking for some help. I gave him vouchers for a meal at a local establishment and a night in the local hotel, and when I told him of the requirement for a law enforcement signature in order to use them, he immediately started telling me the story of why he had no driver's license. I told him he should just discuss that with our friendly police force at city hall, and he got in his vehicle and left.

Obviously there was no threat here, but this incident, coming precisely at the moment I had armed myself, confirmed for me that I had made a good decision. I was confident throughout the encounter, knowing that if a threat did materialize, I would not be helpless.

Sorry for the length, but I'm still amazed at the timing of this. By the way, I talked later with the police chief in town, and no one in a red Cherokee ever stopped by. Guess that counter-signature requirement was a good idea...
    Wes,

Wasn't it OK where the female pastor was found murdered in her church?

Stay armed. Get your permit.
    A number of us pastors have decided to be shepherds and sheepdogs all wrapped into one.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Thanks for the comments, everyone. The permit is in process; the OSBI charged my credit card last Tuesday. I'm told this means it should arrive somewhere between now and mid-January...
    He said to them, "But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one."

Senior Moderator
    As a Pastor, I'm sure that you see that the world is getting crazier by the day.

Most of the Pastors in my town pack.
    You are not alone.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

PHB
    Wes
    Welcome to the forum I am also new hear as far as you carrying on your property you are legal and as for as your church you are also legal your perishers are not allowed to carry in church without your permission.

Again welcome and God Bless
    "Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." -- President John F. Kennedy

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Kenney View Post

I was alone in my office this afternoon, and had just loaded both magazines, chambered a round, and tucked the pistol and spare magazine securely into the holster.
    Just curious, you unload the magazines when you don't carry?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Just curious, you unload the magazines when you don't carry?
    I had just returned from an out-of-town trip. I took my pistol along to visit a range while I was away, but as I don't yet have my license to carry, the gun made the trip unloaded and cased in the trunk. This all happened right after returning home, when I brought the gun into my office and loaded it with SD rounds.

Padre, make sure you get yourself/brush up on some good defensive pistola shooting training with your permit, if you haven't already. You can use the search feature on the forum and a ton of info on courses will pop up.
    I can no longer keep track of threads as I used to. If you need to contact me, PM me instead of asking me something in the thread. Disclaimer - No legal advice issued anywhere. Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by cagueits View Post
    Padre, make sure you get yourself/brush up on some good defensive pistola shooting training with your permit, if you haven't already.
    I plan to do that very thing, as soon as time/finances/spouse will allow it...

Links