likely real life scenerio, what do you think

This is a discussion on likely real life scenerio, what do you think within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, A couple months ago I bought a new house in a nice upscale neighborhood. The house is wonderful and everything is going great untill ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: likely real life scenerio, what do you think

Ok, A couple months ago I bought a new house in a nice upscale neighborhood. The house is wonderful and everything is going great untill a neighbor a few houses down introduced himself. I said hello he went on his way since then everytime he see's me outside he comes over ( can never stand still, talking about his criminal past ) this "john doe" was convicted of murder years ago and did 25 years. Also claims to be part of some groups that i wont mention. Anyway whenever he comes over I blow him off, I recently told him to stop coming over so often and he didnt listen still comes over. I have told him 3 or 4 times to stop coming over, he keeps knocking it's to the point its obsessive and harrasing. Since he don't get the point i have started to not even answer the door. the other day he knocked and knocked and i didnt answer so he started peeking in my window to see if i was ignoring him which really made me feel uneasy. He has come over 4 or 5 times since then and I will not answer the door. I am concerned for my familys safety due to him being a criminal and self proclaimed meth addict/cook so i put a security system in my home. none the less he keeps coming over and knocking and I keep ignoring. Today he came over and knocked i looked out my second story and he was standing there with a ski mask on his face ( i told my family to go upstairs to the bedroom and I went downstairs with a glock 23 as primary and Kahr cw9 as secondary. My question is does anyone know OHIO LAW if he were to come into my house or my detached garage and I would have to protect my family God forbid? I have been keeping a log of everything that is happening. Everytime he is coming over and everytime I ignore him etc, but it seems the past week things have went from bad to worse and I can see them progressivly getting worse. so once again my main question is Ohio Law and what I can or can not do if something were to happen in my house or on my property.

Not to mention there is a book and lifetime movie ( true crime story ) that he is a part of. i will not discolose publicly but if you want to read a good book pm me and I will give you the title.
    thanks for your insight.

Start carrying your gun on your person AT ALL TIMES. Call the police and have a trespass warrant (or whatever they call it there) signed on him. Puts him on notice. Next time he comes on your property, he goes to jail, does not pass go, etc.

In all states, you can use deadly force to defend your life or your families lives. In some states you can defend your property. Check the OH gun laws.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I wonder if you get a trespass charge against him? Restraining order? Talk to the police and a lawyer. Maybe this guy could go back to prison?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Dang. Sorry for what is happening. Here are a few things I would do, not that I am the end all.

1. ALWAYS HAVE A FIREARM ON YOU. Even in your own house. You cannot trust this man.

2. Call the police and report it. Talk to someone and ask him what you can do.

3. If you can, set up a camera system to document what he is doing. Then take it to the police and show them. Have them give him a talking to.

4. ALWAYS HAVE A FIREARM ON YOU.

5. Tell him again to please leave you alone.

6. Talk to the other neighbors about him and find out what kind of interaction they have had with him.

and finally

7. ALWAYS HAVE A FIREARM ON YOU.

Good luck.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    He's got to be on some sort of parole or something. I keep all my doors and windows locked. If someone enters my house while I am home by means other than me opening the door for them, they will be shot dead, no questions asked.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

1- Call and report him to the police
    2- Try to get a restraining order
    3- Stay armed and alert
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

check this site...

Handgunlaw.us

But the short answer is yes. Ohio uses the "castle doctrine" since 2008.
    "2307.601 No duty to retreat in residence or vehicle." Of course you must believe that yours or your families fear for their lives. But thats a given... hard to prove what you felt at the time was anything BUT what "YOU" felt.
    No Excuses... Just make it Happen!

Trespass notice...firearm on person...trespass notice...firearm on person...trespass notice...firearm on person...you get the idea.(Make a paper trail...NOW!)

Do it now, this guy sounds like an accident looking for a place to happen.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Yes I have had this discussion with my wife, I told her no matter where she goes in the house she needs her firearm on her. Even if it's to the bathroom and I keep mine on me at all times to, as well as sleep with one next to me.

my major concern is the drug addiction there is no telling what this guy may or may not do if he is on meth or any type of speed. He is origionally from another state and he has come to Ohio to live with some family because apparently if he stayed he would face a maxed out penality if he did anything wrong. I think that I am going to call monday morning and get a restraining order, fact of the matter is it sucks that I feel like a prisioner in my own home. Especially being a new home that we have not even settled down in yet. My wife is a wreck and kids are scared on the rare occasion that I make them go upstairs ( sad thing is i have not even went into depth about this guy or background which is even more scary that you know he lives a couple hundred yards away )

Ok, he won't listen, is a convicted felon, and has admitted to being on an cooking crack or meth or whatever.

You haven't called the cops yet and reported it? You hide in your house hoping he will go away when he continually knocks on your door and peeks into your windows? He comes over with a ski mask on while knocking on your door and remains in your front yard, yet you still don't call the cops.

I agree, keep a firearm on you, regardless if you have nutty neighbors, but there are some things that aren't adding up in this scenario.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

First, contact LEO and make a formal harassment complaint. If this person is telling you the truth about his past...he has a parole officer and he/she will be notified. The PO will take care of everything because this person is OWNED by his PO.

Oh yeah...stay armed!!

He's going to the point of continually coming onto your property, doing so in spite of your warnings to not come, and doing so with his face covered with a ski mask?

Time to get the police involved. If they know of his past, which you appear to, then they'll have an idea of whether there is anything official they can do to force this guy to leave you alone.

Document each and every situation, each and every contact. Document how he appeared, smelled, what he said, what he did, where he went on your property, behaviors you noticed, how long he was there, how many times he returned, etc. Get what you can, audio/video. Post warnings on the property such that folks are well notified they're being monitored/recorded by coming onto your property, thus agreement to come onto your property constitutes agreement to the "terms" you've specified (ie, being recorded, though check with your attorney on this one). The more you can document, the more force it's going to have when presented to the bumpkins charged with monitoring his future transgressions (which this absolutely is). He's blowing sideways, but slowly enough you can hopefully get it under control. SO FAR, at least, y'all have not been harmed. But I'd say it's fairly clear that the day is coming, and coming soon, when you're going to be harmed. He's focusing on you and yours. Time to fix that. Now.

Time to go armed, 100% of the time. Time to double-check your security preparations, again, and specifically your perimeter strength. Is there any way you can force people off the street to be unable to come onto the property (ie, via strong/tall fencing around the property)?

Consider a remote monitoring system. Consider temporarily moving elsewhere, at least until he's penned. You might have just moved in, but you might have little choice given the need to break his knowledge of where you live. Without moving, you're not going to accomplish that.

Until he's corralled, you have a serious problem. A self-admitted former murderer who has a "thing" for you, your family and your property.

YOU ARE BEING THREATENED. Do not forget that. Do NOT let the bumpkins fail to realize that.

Keep in mind: whatever you do, he'll know you've been the cause of his woes. Think about that, and about how he'll feel after he realizes you've "done" those things to him (ie, restraining order, gotten the police involved, gotten a couple dogs, gotten him evicted, whatever). Your goal is to gain the upper hand (for your own safety), but he's not going to like that. CAUTION.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The reason I have not called the cops yet is due to the fact he is a convicted Murder'er. I am worried that if the police do not do anything in this situation accept tell him to stay away that he will try to do something to my family.

In the state of Ohio this is all considered "hear say" which means that if they dont see it then they don't arrest unless of course I get a restraining order and he breaks the order, then what are the consequences, he goes to jail for a couple nights and gets out and then wants to come over and do some payback. I hope that you are not questioning my integrity or my morals this is not the isuue, the issue is that I am thinking ahead about the safety of myself and my children, do you understand why I have been keeping a log and have not called the police yet, I am trying to research about what rights I have and what I can do that will allow me to use the police to make him stop but that will not harm me 3 days from now or whenever he gets bailed out

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I'm the shy bashful type. I would have told this guy straight-up on day-one, I don't do drugs, I don't like criminals, I don't hang around with either one, go away and don't come back.
    Maybe it's time for you to have the same talk with him, along with a complete paper trail documenting all of the events along the way, keep one for your records and speak with someone at the local PD, his probation/parole officer and make them aware of his persistence.
    Carry everywhere you legally can, do not answer the door, make the family and trusted neighbors aware of what is going on, and if he screws up, well remember, it's you and yours first.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

point taken ccw9mm this is the exact reason I have not acted as of yet. I am walking on egg shells and I feel that no matter what I do I am not going to be looking at a good situation. thanks for understanding where I am coming from

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links