how far we have come in 50 years...

This is a discussion on how far we have come in 50 years... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JerryM The reason is that we have gone away from the Biblically based moral values upon which this nation was founded. It ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: how far we have come in 50 years...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    The reason is that we have gone away from the Biblically based moral values upon which this nation was founded. It shows up in all areas of society from the sexual immorality to the lack of concern for human life.
    Men are lovers of self, haters of God, and without natural affection.

I don't see it getting better, and so we will have to adjust to the violence and reprobation of this society. Each of us can do what is right, but cannot control the actions and attitudes of others.

It is true that once we did not have to lock our doors or be afraid for our women and children to be out alone after dark, but those days are gone forever.

Regards,
    Jerry
    I agree, Jerry.

As a nation, we told God we didn't want Him in our schools, and He complied. Now we try to live with the results.

If believing in god was the answer how come the more Atheistic countries have a lot less crime than we do ?
    Even in our own country the more pious South has more crime than the much less religious parts of the country.

I think that this is all much more complicated than we can address here. I think that one very important thing is the lack of fathers in families, and the high amount of people having kids who are basically unfit to be parents.

It's funny, we invented gods thousands of years ago to explain the things we didn't understand, now the cults (religions) that have sprung up around those myths keep people from understanding the things that we can explain.
    70 % of us still won't accept the fact of evolution.
    Religion isn't the answer, it's part of the problem.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    And here we go

Around 50 years ago, a lot more people lived in rural areas. If you had a ranch house surrounded by 100 acres, there wasn't much need to lock the doors and whatnot. Plus, practically everyone had dogs to tip them off that someone was approaching.

Yes, crime has increased dramatically in the last 50 years, but I suspect that city dwellers weren't as relaxed as the rural folks even back then.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    I am no criminal justice expert and don't disagree with the posts in this thread, however, there was plenty of violence in the past. People have been getting shot around here since 1830. There are records of my ancestors that were teamsters in the 1830s killing a man who tried to rob them on the way back from St. Louis. An ancestor that hid from murderers in the 1800s. Wagons and stagecoaches were generally guarded by a man with a shotgun. Recorded history where county commissioners raised or formed committees to search out and get rid of criminals in the county. The county historical society has numerous accounts of murders and mayhem in the old days. Grandparents that I knew that shot at people trying to help themselves to property at night. Vagrants that came through town almost daily via the Frisco railroad. Many were fine people just down on their luck. My mother used to give them sandwiches if they came to the door. But plenty who were criminals. Some little boy was sexually assaulted by a man in town when I was in high school in 1965. Several murders related to the drug trade in the seventies. Routine bar fights and knifing incidents in the fifties, sixties and seventies.

Today, we don't have any of that around here. The police routinely grab guys with warrants from other jurisdictions and get calls from other parts of the country on guys they have warrants out on. It is tough on criminals to move away from their crimes and start again. It seems to me, the level of violence is less today.

Orphans were swept off the streets in the cities and sent to orphanages or out to the rural areas for adoptions. The cemeteries are full of stones of small children that died of sickness, poverty, or neglect. Today none of that is common.

What has changed is the perception of justice. Now, it seems justice takes forever if it ever comes. In the old days, justice was swift. My grandfather was put in the jail for playing marbles for keeps back in the twenties. No judge. No jury. When his dad found out, the town marshal got a whipping for his trouble. So there was swift justice for taking marbles from your playmates and swift justice for law enforcement that stepped out of bounds. The 24/7 news cycle makes it seem that today is more violent than the past. But on a population basis, I am not so sure it is. Doesn't matter to me. I know I have to take care of my family and am prepared to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by 12Rounds View Post
    The "fact" of evolution? And exactly what is this "fact" based upon? Practically every aspect of this "fact" has had giant sucking wounds blown into it by now. But I won't argue with your "facts."

You're right about religion being the problem. We had much more crime back when there was a strong moral base, largely stemming from the churches, and a sense of community.

Oh, wait....
    Last edited by SpringerXD; October 18th, 2009 at 09:22 PM.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by 12Rounds View Post
    If believing in god was the answer how come the more Atheistic countries have a lot less crime than we do ?
    Even in our own country the more pious South has more crime than the much less religious parts of the country.

I think that this is all much more complicated than we can address here. I think that one very important thing is the lack of fathers in families, and the high amount of people having kids who are basically unfit to be parents.

It's funny, we invented gods thousands of years ago to explain the things we didn't understand, now the cults (religions) that have sprung up around those myths keep people from understanding the things that we can explain.
    Pass the popcorn please.

uhoh
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    The "fact" of evolution? And exactly what is this "fact" based upon? Practically every aspect of this "fact" has had giant sucking wounds blown into it by now. But I won't ague with your "facts."

You're right about religion being the problem. We had much more crime back when there was a strong moral base, largely stemming from the churches, and a sense of community.

Oh, wait....
    No one said that evolution was a "fact". If it was a fact then it would be a "law" (like gravity). The "theory" of evolution is based on a collection of undisputed facts that create the "theory". If there was nothing left to learn about evolution, then it would become law (or fact).

Show me one fact about creationism?????? Its only what you believe and not based on ANY fact whatsoever.

The only "sucking sound" is because science still calls it a "theory" (which means that its based on fact but still more to learn). The creation scientist's always like to point that out to the masses(sheep).

With all that being said; We all like guns though...right
    .....and the Bengals SUCK!

ugg! ok! 12rounds...its still a theory buddy! watch it when you start throwing the "fact" word around.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Patti View Post
    I watched a teacher on the news today. She said that something has to be done in Kansas City because kids are not only attacking each other, but they are attacking teachers. It is no longer a safe place to work.

She also said that the school board is ignoring the problem.

This is really messed up.
    That's been going on since at least as far back as I was in grade school...granted not that far back. When I was in the 7th or 8th grade back oh...91-2ish... my best friend's mother worked in the school office. She was sliced up pretty good(switchblade) while trying to break up a cat fight. Even then, at least in our school, the bookie wannabe kids would hop up on top of the lockers in the crowds and start taking bets on the fights before the cops would show up. Granted that was in Baltimore. Never been to Kansas City.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

well said. I really dont know what to say without starting religious tension. I guess I can keep it simple and say GOD should be in our schools and our country was founded on GOD and the freedom of religion... and the Bengals dont suck

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Fact is, the way I see it, there is more than one cause, a whole bunch of them is more like it.
    As I approach 50 I think back to the way things were, and the way I was raised, and what a clear cut difference.
    Is it religion, or just a lack of personal values, I say both.
    Add another big problem that I didn't see mentioned(or missed) but drug abuse/addiction is a large and very real issue.
    Economics play a big part as well.
    Parenting or the lack of it, is very real, when the parents have a who cares attitude, what can we expect of the children?
    Add the liberal attitude of the court system and see how the problem worsens?
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member
    This November 15 is exactly 50 years. That is the day of the infamous (In Cold Blood) Clutter family home invasion / murder. The popularization of the shocking tragedy locked more doors and windows than anything before Manson.
    A big change is the infrastructure available to bad guys who would exploit it to prey. Not what Eisenhower intended with his interstate system, it results in a comingling of evil with potential victims and makes it easier for criminals to knock down their targets and to disappear - at least in their hot heads.
    Today there is materialism and self-victimization that society gave no quarter fifty years ago. Loving things and using people is the norm and not as it should be. This distortion of values opens the door for all kinds of rationalizations of what, fifty years ago, was simply unacceptable.
    Finally, fifty years ago, Halloween was a kid's carnival. Today it is a morph of Mardi Gras (for "adults"). I'm afraid not all of us were ready for the disco revolution.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

VIP Member
    I don't know about God, but humility seems to go a long way to keeping people in their place.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Lack of Respect

Back in the day, most people knew who their Daddy was.
    If you screwed up, your Dad put a foot in your tail and you straightened up.

Now, Respect is a concept that is foreign to many people. Most of the problems, (what few we have on this forum),come from lack of respect.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links