how far we have come in 50 years... - Page 3

how far we have come in 50 years...

This is a discussion on how far we have come in 50 years... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tpurdin ... and the Bengals dont suck I know....im just cranky because they lost. I hope the Chargers do better tomorrow night ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: how far we have come in 50 years...

Quote Originally Posted by tpurdin View Post
    ... and the Bengals dont suck
    I know....im just cranky because they lost. I hope the Chargers do better tomorrow night against Denver!

Senior Moderator
    This is not a discussion about Creation vs. Evolution. Let's not beat that one to death.

This is a discussion about why you think the country has taken the path that it has.

Get it back on track, and drop what cannot be proven. If it persists, then this topic will be closed.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The Justice system is a revolving door : (
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

VIP Member
    Fifty years ago we had chain gangs.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

VIP Member
    Can we at least say what, in fact, comprises a scientific theory (as opposed to a theory in the humanities, or as used in common conversation)?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    As a society, we stopped allowing parents to discipline their kids. Now it's probably a crime in some places, and other places it would get the kids removed from the home.

Heck, in my kindergarten and first grade classes (we then moved, don't know how long it continued), the Principal would spank kids that misbehaved.
    +1 on this. Just had some friends that had social services strip search their kids on their own home. All for spanking. I got spanked in school a few times myself. When there is no discipline and no consequences for actions the actors will no longer have any consciences. The Lord has written his law on our hearts but if you suppress it long enough and no longer call evil evil you reap what you sow.
    "The theory that the children of the Commonwealth are the charge of the Commonwealth is a pagan one, derived from heathen Sparta and Platoís heathen republic, and connected by regular, logical sequence with legalized prostitution and the dissolution of the conjugal tie." R.L. Dabney

NRA Member

Broken, fatherless and abuse-filled homes are factories that turn out a steady supply of remorseless criminals.
    Are there exceptions? Sure. Some BGs were simply spoiled rotten!
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

how far we have come in 50 years...
    I think we are going backwards.....it's not how far we have come, it's how far we're gone in my book. Hate to drop that on you.

Senior Moderator
    There is a lot of truth to that.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I remember the same thing Grady saw. I remember when it was time to get paddled the principal would show up and the teacher would go out in the hall with him and the student. Then everyone could listen to the popping sounds up and down the hall. We can leave religion out of the discussion and most would agree that when parents don't or can't use the power of the belt, switch, or paddle then kids will stray. The worst thing that could happen to me was that word would get back to my dad and I'd have that belt to look forward to when I got home. I got very few "whippins" growing up, but learned quickly I didn't like it. Same for getting grounded as I became a teenager. Nowadays I have people my age with kids and they always threaten a lot of punishment, but rarely follow through. Without consequences kids and adults will continue to push boundaries farther and farther in the wrong direction.
    G23 w/GTL21, G27, Ruger LCP, & Taurus 617 SS
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Member
    VT Class of '96

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    As a society, we stopped allowing parents to discipline their kids. Now it's probably a crime in some places, and other places it would get the kids removed from the home.

Heck, in my kindergarten and first grade classes (we then moved, don't know how long it continued), the Principal would spank kids that misbehaved.
    Where is it a crime to discipline your kids?

I think the media makes the world out to be a much more crime ridden place than it is. Crime has gone down in recent years rather than up. I would suggest you check the FBI statistics.

Here is a link...

Federal Bureau of Investigation - Uniform Crime Reports

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskoolfan View Post
    Where is it a crime to discipline your kids?

I think the media makes the world out to be a much more crime ridden place than it is. Crime has gone down in recent years rather than up. I would suggest you check the FBI statistics.

Here is a link...

Federal Bureau of Investigation - Uniform Crime Reports
    might want to look at local statistics......
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Simple: We allowed a small group of people to begin by taking God and his teachings out of our schools, along with discipline.

Then they began to systematically dumb down our education system so every kid could pass; couple that with affirmative action plans in our universities, and all of a sudden our best and brightest are being denied access to our best universities in favor of being "diverse".

So we continue this by hiring administrators who enforce stupid policies like suspending a 6-year old kid for bringing his scout knife to school so he can practice using the spoon and fork to eat with. And these administrators are considered "cutting edge" people with meaningless Phd's in some obscure form of education and we pay them millions of dollars to come up with crap like this, yet when our kids graduate having been mentored by these academic icons, they cannot cite important things like the Bill of Rights or even the foggiest idea of how their government works or who their elected officials are by name.

We have turned our country over to lesser men, "Girly Men" I refer to them as. They are a bunch of tattooed, body-pierced freaks for whom a dose of manhood training comes from watching episodes of Dawson's Creek or Queer as Folk, instead of growing up on the Westerns and movies I watched as a kid with stars like John Wayne, Glenn Ford & Robert Duvall....... I learned my morals and values from my Dad and my Grandfathers who were both WWII veterans and real men in every sense of the word. Most of these "Girly Men" don't even know who their real fathers are, and if they do, chances are they are divorced, or worse yet they are one of these liberal-hippie types who think their sons should get more in touch with their "feminine side".........

There, that about cover it???
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    I am no criminal justice expert and don't disagree with the posts in this thread, however, there was plenty of violence in the past. People have been getting shot around here since 1830. There are records of my ancestors that were teamsters in the 1830s killing a man who tried to rob them on the way back from St. Louis. An ancestor that hid from murderers in the 1800s. Wagons and stagecoaches were generally guarded by a man with a shotgun. Recorded history where county commissioners raised or formed committees to search out and get rid of criminals in the county. The county historical society has numerous accounts of murders and mayhem in the old days. Grandparents that I knew that shot at people trying to help themselves to property at night. Vagrants that came through town almost daily via the Frisco railroad. Many were fine people just down on their luck. My mother used to give them sandwiches if they came to the door. But plenty who were criminals. Some little boy was sexually assaulted by a man in town when I was in high school in 1965. Several murders related to the drug trade in the seventies. Routine bar fights and knifing incidents in the fifties, sixties and seventies.

Today, we don't have any of that around here. The police routinely grab guys with warrants from other jurisdictions and get calls from other parts of the country on guys they have warrants out on. It is tough on criminals to move away from their crimes and start again. It seems to me, the level of violence is less today.

Orphans were swept off the streets in the cities and sent to orphanages or out to the rural areas for adoptions. The cemeteries are full of stones of small children that died of sickness, poverty, or neglect. Today none of that is common.

What has changed is the perception of justice. Now, it seems justice takes forever if it ever comes. In the old days, justice was swift. My grandfather was put in the jail for playing marbles for keeps back in the twenties. No judge. No jury. When his dad found out, the town marshal got a whipping for his trouble. So there was swift justice for taking marbles from your playmates and swift justice for law enforcement that stepped out of bounds. The 24/7 news cycle makes it seem that today is more violent than the past. But on a population basis, I am not so sure it is. Doesn't matter to me. I know I have to take care of my family and am prepared to do so.
    This is pretty much a good summary. If you look closely you will find that the invention of cable TV and various 24/7 news channels helped further the perception that crime is up. It is because these media outlets, and the internet, you can now find out about stories happening all across the country in moments. Updates about murders and heinous crimes can be streamed live to your living room within minutes.

As I said before, the FBI Universal Crime Rate indicates that crime is down. And according to many criminologists it is down. However some worry that with a bad economy it may go up, as is usually the case.

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    Simple: We allowed a small group of people to begin by taking God and his teachings out of our schools, along with discipline.
    What God are you referring too?.....your God? Surely not my God?

...and my God (including myself as the parent) wouldn't allow a stranger to discipline my kid.
    -e

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links