Use pocket .380 in hand or release for hip .45?

This is a discussion on Use pocket .380 in hand or release for hip .45? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Scenario... You are walking down sidewalk and passing thru a group (3 or 4) of suspicious characters. You have a .45 IWB and a .380 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Use pocket .380 in hand or release for hip .45?

Use pocket .380 in hand or release for hip .45?

Scenario...
    You are walking down sidewalk and passing thru a group (3 or 4) of suspicious characters. You have a .45 IWB and a .380 in front pocket of pants.

Because of the possible threat you put hand in pocket and you get a hold of your .380. As you pass, a real threat occurs (knife) and you need to take immediate action.

With your hand already on the .380 do you pull it... or do you release and go for the IWB .45???

2. Remove Ads

First mistake: passing through the group. Cross the street next time to create distance.
    pro-CZ's, pro-AR's, anti-CZAR's

.380 in the face all day long! When seconds count, hesitation kills. JMO.

3 or 4 = one to two rounds each outa do it.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by cz2075bd View Post
    First mistake: passing through the group. Cross the street next time to create distance.
    Can't we just go with the flow here? OK. Say there's a larger group of thugs on the other side of the road. Say you have determined that the safest way to go is thru the smaller group. There is an ocean behind you, you can't go that way.

And say I don't pass thru the group, just around it.

Regardless.... forget the scenario. Do you go for .380 in pocket (if hand is already on it) or .45 on hip?

Oh... and assume your skills with both are exactly the same. :)

I'd go for the .45. One shot CoM, or head shot should do it.

Is that what you're looking for?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Say there's no way to avoid it, and you get attacked by 20 ninjas...

VIP Member
    Let's see... Hand on .380 that the BG's can't see, or fumble for the .45 so that when I do get around to the trigger it'll have more 'stopping power'...

Yah, I'm in with gottabekiddin on go for the low-hanging fruit of a quick and dirty head shot with .380 on the BG with the knife. I'll be freaking out anyway, so to reduce the number of movements that I have to do is a plus. It also buys me time to go for the .45 (if I need to) while they're freaking out from being shot at.

But I'm not a martial arts guy. What say you experts?

so to reduce the number of movements that I have to do is a plus.
    +1

A gun in your hand is the fastest draw.

Why would I let go of a "sure thing" to fumble around with a different gun. If needed, after the BUG is shot dry I drop it and go for the "primary" gun on the hip. The little gun buys me time and hopefully lets me create distance.

FWIW: If you are carrying something, like the .380 and you don't have confidence in it, why are you carrying it?

Biker

I'd go for a .22 before the .45!
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post

FWIW: If you are carrying something, like the .380 and you don't have confidence in it, why are you carrying it?

Biker
    Thanks Biker. Not to hijack thread (but to contribute to), this illustrates why I'm a believer in a small BUG. I can see many circumstances where it can be the first one that comes out in an emergency.

Example:
    (True story) last week I approached a car that was parked in the street on a property that I manage. It's a residential property and something didn't look right about this. I approach the driver and strike up a friendly conversation while my thumbs are hooked in my back pockets (.380 is in right rear pocket holster). I actually have my thumb around the butt of the gun and am ready to draw while my G19 is still tucked under my shirt. The driver explains that he's a college kid in between classes (back seat is full of books) and that he just wanted a quiet place to study. We're then good as I directed him to a safer parking spot, and he's back to studying with no idea what was going on in my head (or what my thumb was wrapped around).

Yes, this is better handled by a LEO, but in my occupation (property managment) I'd be wearing out my local LEO if I called them every time that something was a little odd.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    In your scenario the other guy has already pulled a knife. You have you hand on the .380. You can't get to your .45 faster than you can get to your .380 which you already have a hand on.

And has been said, if you don't trust the .380, why do you have it?
    NRA Life Member

Not to be snotty / arrogant / flippant, but do you honestly feel that you could draw your weapon, bring it up and fire <i>before</i> the bad guy could stab you with the knife?

This is of course going on the idea that the bad guy drew and presented the knife.

You might consider an open-hand strike to the throat or fingertip eye-gouge to buy you a few seconds, then draw the pistol...

Try this with a friend and see what I'm talking about.

(Please be sure the quadruple check for empty chambers of course...)

Best Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Ensiferum View Post
    Not to be snotty / arrogant / flippant, but do you honestly feel that you could draw your weapon, bring it up and fire <i>before</i> the bad guy could stab you with the knife?
    Sure I do. I've had to move in a similar fashion several times in my life for various reasons. It's called a fight, but with weapons, and his is a knife.... First rule of engagement IMB be prepared, meet force with overwhelming force, and that parts covered already, don't cha think.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    +1

A gun in your hand is the fastest draw.

Why would I let go of a "sure thing" to fumble around with a different gun. If needed, after the BUG is shot dry I drop it and go for the "primary" gun on the hip. The little gun buys me time and hopefully lets me create distance.

Biker
    No.. I have complete confidence in both my .45 and .380. But all things equal, I'd use the .45 over the .380 (obviously). But having "hand on .380" does not make all things equal. Just thought I'd pose the question to the forum here ....

VIP Member
    Gun in hand better than gun on belt.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links