Concern with being shot by another CC'er?

This is a discussion on Concern with being shot by another CC'er? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Guns and more That's why CC's aren't cops. They are not supposed to get involved. Depends on the situation. Age, gender, stance. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 49

Thread: Concern with being shot by another CC'er?

  1. #16
    Senior Member Array Lewis128's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Cape Girardeau, Mo.
    Posts
    657
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    That's why CC's aren't cops. They are not supposed to get involved.
    Depends on the situation. Age, gender, stance. All of those would greatly influence my reaction as the "second CCW".

    Pardon my pragmatism, but I'm far more likely to stick my neck out to aide the "white haired elderly lady" than any man.
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    Ex Member Array BikerRN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    State of Discombobulation
    Posts
    5,253
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    Depends on the situation. Age, gender, stance. All of those would greatly influence my reaction as the "second CCW".

    Pardon my pragmatism, but I'm far more likely to stick my neck out to aide the "white haired elderly lady" than any man.
    OK, I'll play along and give you a scenario, based on real life BTW.

    69 y/o "little old lady" walking across the parking lot of a mall after her shopping trip. She has one bag, with store name on said bag. Suddenly two individuals come up to her. One turns her and places her onto a nearby vehicle. The other stands to the side and has a weapon drawn. You, Jolly Joe CCW Holder and savior of the world sees the "little old lady" and decide to intervene on her behalf.

    GAME OVER!!!

    The "little old lady" in question is a known felon and the two that appear to be aggressors are in fact law enforcement agents. The lady in question is known to carry a gun and is wanted for murder in relation to insurance fraud. The LEO's are dressed in "street clothes" and have no identifying insignia.

    Still want to get involved? Before that gun comes out you need to be 100% sure of what is going on. If you produce your gun and foolishly point it at the LEO's they are justified in ending your life to save theirs. I myself will not shed one tear for you, as you were the fool here.

    Your CCW Permit is not a "Save The World" license. That "little old lady" is afforded the same opportunity as you in regards to protecting herself, yet chose not to do so. Who are you to countermand her choice? Be a good witness and summon those with the statutory authority to intervene in this situation. If the suspected badguys turn on you, then deal with them in the appropriate manner best fitting the circumstances.

    I don't care if the "little old lady" dies or is injured. Fecal matter happens, that's life. If you are wondering, yes, I have multiple "little old ladies" in my family, and while I may intervene and help them, I am also assured of knowing who is who in a situation, you don't.

    Biker

  4. #18
    Senior Member Array Lewis128's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Cape Girardeau, Mo.
    Posts
    657
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Your CCW Permit is not a "Save The World" license. That "little old lady" is afforded the same opportunity as you in regards to protecting herself, yet chose not to do so. Who are you to countermand her choice? Be a good witness and summon those with the statutory authority to intervene in this situation. If the suspected badguys turn on you, then deal with them in the appropriate manner best fitting the circumstances.

    I don't care if the "little old lady" dies or is injured. Fecal matter happens, that's life. If you are wondering, yes, I have multiple "little old ladies" in my family, and while I may intervene and help them, I am also assured of knowing who is who in a situation, you don't.

    Biker
    Over the years I've heard countless stories of people being killed, surrounded by witnesses who ignored pleas for help.
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

  5. #19
    Member Array Kicker96fs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Almost in NH
    Posts
    69
    The short answer is this: IT'S NOT YOUR PROBLEM!

    If you see something like that, get on the cell phone and leave your gun the frack alone. It is there IF you feel that YOUR life is in danger!

    You are not a cop!

    If you want to save the world, go join the local PD and be a cop. Otherwise, call and observe, be a good witness.

  6. #20
    VIP Member Array gottabkiddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    6,991
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    If you don't know what's going on, stay the heck out of it!

    What you think is happening may be 180 degrees from the truth. You need to be 100% positive, or not get involved.
    Both of those points should be deeply embedded in everyones mind, first and foremost.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

    "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

  7. #21
    Member Array Kicker96fs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Almost in NH
    Posts
    69
    Another thing to keep in mind, as soon as you pull your gun out and point it at someone, you just committed a class D felony.

    You better be justified.

    Think about it.

  8. #22
    VIP Member Array Tom G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,375
    Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    I would shout, "Call 911."
    I would agree with this. At leased the other guy would have an idea of what your intensions were.

  9. #23
    VIP Member
    Array oneshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    +42.893612,-082.710236 , Mi.
    Posts
    8,006
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I have often posted that my greatest fear, when off duty, is being shot by a fellow LEO. Now add the additional CCW Permit, or whatever name it's called in the various locales, to the conundrum and you have a recipe for disaster.

    That is one of many reasons for me to be reticent in engaging another party with a firearm. The only advice I can give on this subject is, If you don't know what's going on, stay the heck out of it!

    What you think is happening may be 180 degrees from the truth. You need to be 100% positive, or not get involved.

    Biker



    YES ! I agree with this unless you see the guy actively doing something illegal, ie; carjacking, mugging, beatdown or another lifethreatening scenario that you have watched unfold before your very eyes, call the POPO and observe!!


    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

    Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

  10. #24
    Member Array FireAir7215's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    208
    Wear CCW Sash

  11. #25
    Senior Member Array Lewis128's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Cape Girardeau, Mo.
    Posts
    657
    For the record, I would never recommend drawing on someone. If that was inferred from what I wrote, I am sorry for the confusion.
    There are plenty of other options besides a) Barney Fife and b) "stay the heck out of it"
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

  12. #26
    Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Southwest, TN
    Posts
    1,246
    I finally found the answer to my question...LOL Just don't cover up your CCW badge when you deploy the banner.

    Why couldn't I think of this??? The DON'T SHOOT ME BANNER!!!

    Don't Shoot Me Banner - DSM-CCW

    [ATTACH]025_25.jpg[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images
    Proud NRA member

  13. #27
    VIP Member Array searcher 45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    4,151
    Being cough in a cross fire between a defender and robber could be most painful. I believe that once you enter into the fight not being known by either side of the fight you are very subject to being shot by both good and bad guys. Unless my life or love ones life was in direct danger or the situation was very clear (read below) I would do my best to stay out of the mix and be the best witness I can.

    In the event of a robbery in say Stop and Rob with me in back of store getting a soda, and young female clerk facing a masked gunman with big gun and evil in his eyes. If I have a clear shot and believe the gunman will pull the trigger on the clerk then I would shoot to try to save life. If he would shoot the clerk there is nothing to stop him from sweeping the store and shooting anyone else that could be a witness before leaving. Also I do not know if I could live with my self if I just stood there and watched the cold blooded murder having the power to stop it and did nothing.

  14. #28
    Ex Member Array Ram Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    13,687
    Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    I'm usually not into hyphothetical situations, but due to the growing number of carry permit holders that could increase the odds of something like this really happening...this one has me thinking "what if"??? Keep in mind this is just one of many possible scenarios.

    Let's say you are in a parking lot and are forced to present, but not fire your weapon to stop an attacker with a pipe, crowbar, etc. (Please I'm not looking for a shoot or don't shoot arguement). At the same moment another CC'er is exiting his car and only sees you with your gun drawn, but does not realize you are on the defense. The next thing you see is him drawing down on you!!!

    What would you do?
    Simple....shoot first.

  15. #29
    Member Array B1NKS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Santee, California
    Posts
    52
    Unfortunately I would probably shoot the CCer, and then maybe the guy with the crowbar. This would be an instinctive reaction, not a calculated decision.

    I assume the person who draws a gun on me will shoot me, and I don't want to wait around to find out whether he will or not as I shout verbal commands to two different people.
    9mm Walther P5 Compact

    .380 and .32 Interarms Walther PPK/S

    .380 and .32 Interarms Walther PPK

  16. #30
    Member Array TomD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Upstate, New York, USA
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    OK, I'll play along and give you a scenario, based on real life BTW.

    69 y/o "little old lady" walking across the parking lot of a mall after her shopping trip. She has one bag, with store name on said bag. Suddenly two individuals come up to her. One turns her and places her onto a nearby vehicle. The other stands to the side and has a weapon drawn. You, Jolly Joe CCW Holder and savior of the world sees the "little old lady" and decide to intervene on her behalf.

    GAME OVER!!!

    The "little old lady" in question is a known felon and the two that appear to be aggressors are in fact law enforcement agents. The lady in question is known to carry a gun and is wanted for murder in relation to insurance fraud. The LEO's are dressed in "street clothes" and have no identifying insignia.

    Still want to get involved? Before that gun comes out you need to be 100% sure of what is going on. If you produce your gun and foolishly point it at the LEO's they are justified in ending your life to save theirs. I myself will not shed one tear for you, as you were the fool here.

    Your CCW Permit is not a "Save The World" license. That "little old lady" is afforded the same opportunity as you in regards to protecting herself, yet chose not to do so. Who are you to countermand her choice? Be a good witness and summon those with the statutory authority to intervene in this situation. If the suspected badguys turn on you, then deal with them in the appropriate manner best fitting the circumstances.

    I don't care if the "little old lady" dies or is injured. Fecal matter happens, that's life. If you are wondering, yes, I have multiple "little old ladies" in my family, and while I may intervene and help them, I am also assured of knowing who is who in a situation, you don't.

    Biker




Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Ammo Can Lead Concern?
    By skot in forum Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: December 6th, 2009, 11:18 AM
  2. Security concern about my wife
    By Rollo in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: September 17th, 2009, 10:30 PM
  3. SR9 question/concern
    By LRFireEMS in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: August 3rd, 2009, 01:22 AM
  4. glock concern
    By jahwarrior1423 in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: July 22nd, 2008, 06:55 PM
  5. Kimber Safety Concern
    By FrontSight in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: May 30th, 2006, 08:33 AM