Concern with being shot by another CC'er? - Page 3

Concern with being shot by another CC'er?

This is a discussion on Concern with being shot by another CC'er? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by B1NKS Unfortunately I would probably shoot the CCer, and then maybe the guy with the crowbar. This would be an instinctive reaction, ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B1NKS View Post
    Unfortunately I would probably shoot the CCer, and then maybe the guy with the crowbar. This would be an instinctive reaction, not a calculated decision...
    Yes, it would be pretty hard for you to tell the difference between Joe-Save-The-World-CCWer and the bad guy's backup.

Here's my vote of appreciation for the instuctors and folks here who stress "don't get involved unless you know 100% what is going on".
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Quote Originally Posted by B1NKS View Post
    Unfortunately I would probably shoot the CCer, and then maybe the guy with the crowbar. This would be an instinctive reaction, not a calculated decision.

I assume the person who draws a gun on me will shoot me, and I don't want to wait around to find out whether he will or not as I shout verbal commands to two different people.
    Shoot first, ask questions later? Isn't this playing to the anti gun crowd?

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    The CCer getting out of the car should be dialing the magic digits and trying as hard as possible not to get involved because it does not directly involve him. Call me cold hearted, but if its not me or mine that's in trouble... I'm staying out of it besides calling the 5-0.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

isn't there an article somewhere about the dangers of being involved, it was written by cops that have to respond to domestic violence calls. The same situation is faced by cops, ask them how they deal with it. (to state the obvious already...) A gun pointed at someone could mean just about anything without context, if I come across someone with a gun pointed at them I'm dialing 911 first, if I heard something like "give me money" or "come here baby" along with the weapon (and/or the victim screaming something along the lines of HELP) I'm definitely drawing.
    Medical College of Virginia School of Medicine Class of 2013

Quote Originally Posted by LM2024 View Post
    Shoot first, ask questions later? Isn't this playing to the anti gun crowd?
    Again, shooting the CCer be an instinctive reaction from years of training and experience. I don't care what the anti-gun crowd thinks; I care about staying alive. Someone drawing a gun on me is asking for trouble, because I don't know what that person's intentions are, and I don't have time to find out. Also, while I'm distracted with the CCer, the crowbar man might charge me or pull out his own gun, so I might have to shoot him too. I probably would shoot him, because again, instinctively, the threats appear related, imminent, and life-threatening.

CCers should only intervene in armed situations if they really know what they are doing.
    9mm Walther P5 Compact

.380 and .32 Interarms Walther PPK/S

.380 and .32 Interarms Walther PPK

Concern with being shot by another CC'er?

If you are, it won't be by me. I have got to know exactly what is going on before diving in. I suspect most of us feel the same.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kicker96fs View Post
    Another thing to keep in mind, as soon as you pull your gun out and point it at someone, you just committed a class D felony.

You better be justified.

Think about it.
    Maybe a felony in NH, but not here in TN...

39-17-1322. Defenses. A person shall not be charged with or convicted of a violation under this part if the person possessed, displayed or employed a handgun in justifiable self-defense or in justifiable defense of another during the commission of a crime in which that person or the other person defended was a victim.
    Proud NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by punk rocka View Post
    This is when one of those CCW badges would come in real handy...

I was going to wear my CCW "sash"....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

If my family is with me, I am getting them to safety no matter what is going on. My family comes first. I am of the mind set that it you do not know 100% what is going on you should step away and be a good witness. If you saw one person stabbing another person stab after stab after stab then I would think if you intend to get involved you should NOT use your gun but some other type of deterrent like pepper spray. If you are the kind of person and I do not mean that in a bad way that believes they are a sheep dog here to protect the sheep then you need to have a plan that does not revolve around a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I agree with what is said about being very vocal.

If the second carrier gets out of his vehicle and before he even sees you holding your would-be assailant at gun point he hears you screaming, "CALL THE POLICE!" That's automatically going to identify you as someone who is okay with the police being on the scene (usually a roll reserved for the good guy).

Keep the communication going ("Call 911!", "Don't move.", "I need an officer.", "Drop your weapon.", "HELP!"), even when the police arrive, and keep yourself out of suspicion.
    +1000 on this. Keep Yelling, "Help, call the police, I don't want to hurt you. Stop. Drop the weapon. Don't make me shoot you."

Anything to get everyones attention. The Bad Guys want to avoid being seen by witnesses.

I remember we briefly discussed this in my ccw class. I feel it is best that my pistol be used to protect me and the ones I know so if i was not involved i would not draw my weapon just because another person has a gun... I would call the police and find cover.... not in that order. I hope other sheep dogs would do the same. unless you know the whole story find cover or get away
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

This is why eager gung-ho undercover and off-duty cops get shot, running into the action with guns and passion, while wearing civilian clothes. I must keep this in mind before pulling mine outside because other people don't know who or what you are when you get out of that car and run with a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    +1000 on this. Keep Yelling, "Help, call the police, I don't want to hurt you. Stop. Drop the weapon. Don't make me shoot you."

Anything to get everyones attention. The Bad Guys want to avoid being seen by witnesses.
    +1000 again. It may very well de-escalate it on it's own besides alert everyone else as to your role on the scene. May make all the diff in court if you have a witness or to another CC-er just coming on the scene. I carry a recorder when I can but it's still no gaurantee the truth will prevail.

I hope that this never comes up...or do I? Just keep reading posts and stories and talking with gun people at stores and shows and ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    I'm usually not into hyphothetical situations, but due to the growing number of carry permit holders that could increase the odds of something like this really happening...this one has me thinking "what if"??? Keep in mind this is just one of many possible scenarios.

Let's say you are in a parking lot and are forced to present, but not fire your weapon to stop an attacker with a pipe, crowbar, etc. (Please I'm not looking for a shoot or don't shoot arguement). At the same moment another CC'er is exiting his car and only sees you with your gun drawn, but does not realize you are on the defense. The next thing you see is him drawing down on you!!!

What would you do?
    The situation you have described is probable...More reason for those who are armed to be sure of what they are getting themselves into. A piece of advice which I heard somewhere was do not trust anything you hear and you can only trust half of what you see.
    Last edited by AWDeanSr; November 4th, 2009 at 07:50 PM. Reason: idiot
    1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links