I look out and here's a guy on a bicycle with a full coverage helmet & sun glasses...

I look out and here's a guy on a bicycle with a full coverage helmet & sun glasses...

This is a discussion on I look out and here's a guy on a bicycle with a full coverage helmet & sun glasses... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It was Friday and my wife and I were eating in a little Chinese place we like and as always, I'm sitting facing the entrance, ...

Senior Moderator

It was Friday and my wife and I were eating in a little Chinese place we like and as always, I'm sitting facing the entrance, admiring the beautiful day through the big glass store front.

Off in the distance I see this guy riding a bike (bicycle) toward the restaurant. It seemed strange that he had on a full coverage helmet and sunglasses. Hmmm, I thought, I doubt he's coming here. But...

He parks his bike out of view and I'm starting to wonder. I see him moving toward the entrance with his helmet and sunglasses. As he reaches to open the door, I'm really wondering why he's coming in with the helmet and sun glasses still on and why am I discretely confirming the safety on my Beretta 92fs is off for the second time.

As I watch his hands, I see nothing especially threatening, but I've already made sure my cover garment is going to clear my gun cleanly.

Finally he pulls the sun glasses off and then the helmet. And so it ends. But in today's society, it could have ended very differently.

Watching for the unusual and out-of-place is required in todays environment - good spot and follow up. Big sigh of relief...

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    Did you have to hurry home to change your shorts? Thats a scary deal, glad it turned out ok. Thats strange to see a guy on a bicycle with a full helmet. Those situations remind us all how quickly a normal day can turn ugly quick.
    Curry

Some bicyclists DO wear full face helmets (IE: Freeride, etc)

Senior Moderator
    Weeg,

He may have been doing some "risky" bikin', but it is very rare around here to see a bike rider with a full coverage helmet. In fact, that was my first.

It was just that if somebody wanted to hide their face in public, this was a great way.

BCurry1,
    I didn't have to change my shorts, but it was sure good to start breathin' again.

Great job of being aware of your surroundings. Also watching his hands was smart as well. I am sure all the sheep in the restaurant were oblivious!!!

Lead Moderator
    I'm with Tangle. I've been riding for longer than I care to remember, and full coverage helmets are a rarity.

I'd be less suspicious if the guy pulled up on a mountain bike though, those guys just aren't right.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Glad all went well. And it sounds like you were paying attention and ready to take appropriate action. Stay safe and have a great day.

Sixgun

VIP Member
    Did you check the helmet to see if it had a covered with foil (to ward off the CIA's nefarious clandestine messages)?
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

"I'd be less suspicious if the guy pulled up on a mountain bike though, those guys just aren't right. [/QUOTE]"

Hay, I resemble that remark!

Assistant Administrator
    Never can be too careful Ron - and if ''Spidey sense'' kicks in - listen to it.

That sure would have seemed odd to me! Always but always - con yellow - look, listen - see and hear - it is what helps prevent us from being caught out.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

How about a Mountain Biker with a full-coverage helmet wrapped with foil AND rear-view mirrors with a bell? I worry even more then.....

About a hundred years ago, I recall being on the motorcycle all day and finally going into a restaurant to eat.

When I sat down, the waitress asked me if I thought I might fall off the chair.

I wish I had time to stop blushing before I pulled off the forgotten helmet!

Felt like an absolute idiot!

Now, anytime I see anyone dressed "out of season," I do give them a good look. But I do have to consider the possibility that they may not be dangerous, just another idiot.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by madmike
    About a hundred years ago, I recall being on the motorcycle all day and finally going into a restaurant to eat.

When I sat down, the waitress asked me if I thought I might fall off the chair.

I wish I had time to stop blushing before I pulled off the forgotten helmet!

Felt like an absolute idiot!

Now, anytime I see anyone dressed "out of season," I do give them a good look. But I do have to consider the possibility that they may not be dangerous, just another idiot.

mm
    LOL! You can't be too careful about fallin' off chairs!

"Suspicious" and "out of season" can go either way; we have no way to know. I consider them a possible threat until I can confirm otherwise.

''Spidey sense'' I like that Chris.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksan
    "I'd be less suspicious if the guy pulled up on a mountain bike though, those guys just aren't right.

Hay, I resemble that remark!
    Of course that is just a "roadies" view.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Links