False Alarm at 3:00 am

This is a discussion on False Alarm at 3:00 am within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, So last night my wife and are were asleep at 3:00am (as we normally are) and my German Shepherd who sleeps on the floor ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: False Alarm at 3:00 am

False Alarm at 3:00 am

Hi,

So last night my wife and are were asleep at 3:00am (as we normally are) and my German Shepherd who sleeps on the floor in our room FREAKS out, she started barking a bark I have never heard her do, she sounded like she was going to rip someone apart. I am a deep sleeper but I snap awake, my first thought is "oh no there must be some one in the house!". I got up and grabbed the Mossberg 500 next to the bed and told my wife that if she hears anything else to call the police, I left my 9mm with her (we have a door to our room that goes to the back deck). I head out the bedroom door, racked the slide as a psychological attempt at scaring the would be intruder (along with the angry shepherd). I cleared the house and the back porch, made sure the doors were all locked up and headed back to bed. I didn't sleep very well the rest of the night.

What I discovered is that when waking up in the middle of the night like that it is very difficult to get your bearings. My SA was not as sharp as it normally would be and it got me thinking, how do you train for this? I have practiced clearing my house and gone over situations with my wife but I greatly underestimated the mental clarity that one has when you wake up from a deep sleep. I will say that my adrenal glands helped but it was still much more difficult that I would have thought. After about a min of waking up I was back to normal but what if an intruder was right outside the door, or even worse already in the room!

As a side question, what do you keep near your bed for these situations? I also keep my Sig p250 9mm in the night stand (we dont have kids yet). I used to keep my Bushmaster M4 near the bed, but then figured that requires too much aiming and I may not have time for that, plus it has an EOtech and that would take an extra second to turn on.

I am glad it turned out to be ok, but I am very thankful for my pup who did her job, even though it was nothing!
    "The sheep hate the sheepdog almost as much as the wolf until a wolf shows up."

2. Remove Ads

I actually sleep with a Glock under my pillow at night.....most of the time, I've got a grip on it. Those are the nights my wife works. On the nights we get to sleep together, mine is on my side of the bed, and hers is on her side of the bed within quick reach. I went for years after I got out of the Marines with a cocked and locked 1911A1 under my pillow in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I actually sleep with a Glock under my pillow at night.....most of the time, I've got a grip on it.
    Please tell me it's in a holster.
    My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by chenemf View Post
    Please tell me it's in a holster.
    Would that make you feel more comfortable? If it does, and I told you that, I would be lying. If my Glock is in a holster, I'd have to draw right? So I might as well have my Glock ready with a full magazine and empty chamber. I figure it's going to take the same amount of time to rack the slide as it is to un-holster a pistol. How would you figure it? I've got deployment down to one simple action.......having it holstered would entail at least three actions from my perspective. I'm just relaying simple, everyday life for me....I'm not usually a very open person to those I'm unfamiliar with. My methods and means are not for everyone, and I wouldn't portray them in a way that they should be. I've been doing this for a long time.

I have a Glock which I keep under my pillow at night. Without having it in a holster I would worry about hitting the trigger while I'm asleep.

About 10 houses down from us we had a brake in, home invasion, this morning at about 5:30am. A elderly lady lives there alone, and the phone line was cut and house entered. The lady awoke and fired a shot at the intruder who fled. Law enforcement were out looking with bloodhounds most of morning. This is the 4th home invasion in our small population rural county in less than 2 months. One lady was raped and robbed the others were robbed. I do not know if invader was hit or what type of gun was used by this elderly lady. Thank God she had a gun and used it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FWIW I believe home invasions will rise as the economy worsens and the addicted become more bold!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    I have a Glock which I keep under my pillow at night. Without having it in a holster I would worry about hitting the trigger while I'm asleep.
    Then you should never keep a Glock under your pillow without it being in a holster. Plain and simple...we're all different.

More details on home invasion this morning. As is often the case info is sometimes mixed up. Blood hounds were not used in the search but the drug dog from the county was used. The elderly lady's gun actually misfired 3 times and the invader ran out of the house. She is near 80 years old and living alone but I do not know if this will cause her to give up her independence. No word on the invader or other suspects.

I have a OWB holster screwed to the inside door of my safe. I use my safe as a nightstand. At night I leave the safe door open. While sleeping face up ir down and easily reach and have Glock in hand in a second. Dog first line of defense My wife also awakes at the slightest noise, I can sleep thru anything.

To the OP.

Don't be in a hurry to clear your house. Take up a defensive position behind the best cover you can use and wait for them to come to you. Use that time to "wake up". Use the time to listen for what is going on. Since you have a dog, let him lead you to where anybody might be hiding.

You didn't say if you use lighting, either on your weapon, or hand held.

Also considering police response time, follow the military sentry/police motto of sounding the alarm first before doing anything else. Ie., dial 911 immeadiately instead of waiting to "clear the house".

Shotgun with 00Buck or slugs are your best choice. Had to sell my shotgun, so I keep my G27 on the nightstand along with a tactical light and extra mags.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    JamesD,

What was the dog doing during the rest of the event. Normally my dog goes to the location of interest, thereby giving me the space to get to a cover position with a shotgun. I will also have at least a .45 with me. From there, I can wait for the other guys to make a move. I have all night for them to move. No reason to expose myself until the dog is satisfied. If the dog goes to the front door or stops barking, I turn on the outside spotlights before moving around much.

Most of the time it is the occasional night visitor for some reason. I generally figure that out as soon as the outside lights go on.

If not and I do finally move, it is only with the dog in the lead as assurance that I will not be ambushed. Also, I have figured out the best way to get from cover to cover using the available concealment. I have several advantages since I am very familiar with my house. I know how to be invisible in the dark. And I keep it dark inside, using only the light from the outside.

Sometimes, the cause of the alert is not discovered and the house is clean. I just assume we have had a coyote or wolf visit and the dog got a whiff. In any case, there is no reason to go outside. If it is a bad guy, he is long gone. He will look for a softer target next time.

The bottom line for me is to be the ambush-er, not the ambush-ee. Many of you know to never plan for a fair fight. That is my philosophy. My house with me in it is a kill box.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesD View Post
    Hi,
    I head out the bedroom door, racked the slide as a psychological attempt at scaring the would be intruder (along with the angry shepherd). I cleared the house and the back porch, made sure the doors were all locked up and headed back to bed.
    I personally would not rack the action. That is a movie thing. All it will do is notify your intruder of your location. It takes away your advantage in your own house. Why notify? If they are armed, they know where you are coming from now.

Just my $.02

Glad everything worked out well..I have a shepard as well and he has done this to me several times. Each time I get a little better, I guess you could call it practice. I sleep with two 1911s under the pillow one on each side of me, so that if im laying on my side I have one right there. There is a 9mm on the side of the bed and a S&W on the night stand. I have no children so I do not worry about it.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I sleep with a large Great Dane at the foot of the bed. Much like your GSD, he will alert us if something is amiss. That is, when he's not snoring and chasing bunnies in his dreams. :)

I keep my Sig P239 9mm loaded w/Golden Saber rounds, on the nightstand next to my bed, along with a Surefire flashlight. (It's the Z-2 model, but the one with the plastic, not the metal. I forget the exact model number) In the drawer are several knives, and in the gun safe on the nightstand are fresh batteries for the Surefire, extra ammo, and a Beretta .22 NEOS.

I am asking Santa to bring me a Mossy 500 for Christmas though. We'll see if Mr. Bunny approves. Apparently all of Santa's gifts have to go through him. Bah.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

VIP Member
    good for you in having tools at the ready in case they are needed

my $.02......
    keep handgun at your bedside ready to go (devise whatever holster setup you need/want), this gives you something at hand to use, is quicker than grabbing long gun, etc, can use the handgun to get to your long gun if needed

next, if you get the shotty....rack it then so its ready to use, if I understand what you said in your post, you racked one in the chamber as you were already up in the room and walking out the bedroom door.....rack it and get it ready as soon as its in your hands, walking around the room with an empty chamber gives you a club
    [QUOTE-Cajunjeep]I personally would not rack the action. That is a movie thing. All it will do is notify your intruder of your location. It takes away your advantage in your own house. Why notify? If they are armed, they know where you are coming from now.[/QUOTE]
    yes, the psychological effect of racking the shotgun is over-hyped in the movies, however one should rack one in the chamber as soon as its in your hands to give you a usable weapon

next, have wife get on 911 and cover your 6 while you take up a defensive position at your bedroom doorway, (if you have a door out to the deck as described the you should cover where you thought the threat might have been heard and have wife cover other door)

as others have said....watch the dog, is the dog staying put in the room with you? is it clawing/barking at the front door (or other door)? watch where they are going and what they are doing and that will most likely tell you whats happening and where

clearing your house is not a good idea, yes you have tactical advantage since you know the layout, obstacles, etc....but if there are 2 or more dirtbags in there and you clear a room and confront one...the other one or two may punch your ticket, better to stay at a defensive position and stand your ground there
    example: for instance...my master BR door goes into the only hall in our house, bathroom door is closed as well as other connecting door to other bathroom/hall, (and to answer your question about bedside weapon) if I have a bump in the night I fill my hand with my G21-wife gets her G26, 21 has a streamlight TLR light and I keep my duty maglight and a surefire on the table too, I can get shotty out of closet and can hold our ground from bedroom door looking down hallway, its a kill zone from the hall down through the living room, if someone makes the decision to come down the hall to where our room or son's room is located then it will be ugly, also, I can cover hallway while wife steps over to get our son and hunker down in our BR if needed

you are correct in that it can be difficult to wake up, see/hear whats happening, react, and be ready
    you have to have the mindset beforehand to start, know that when you hear that bump in the night its time to spring into action, there's not a lot to train with for this situation but I have a suggestion (and some may think this is ludicrous or going overboard but it does the job), have wife set a radio alarm clock (not your regular alarm) to go off at a time of her choosing (we set ours in the bathroom volume all the way up), you hear radio and have to get up and take action, might be a good idea for both of you to practice this, this will show you a good OODA loop in the middle of the night

my wife and I have done this just so we can both see how it works to wake up like this and spring into action, my wife is well-versed in what she is to do and what I'll be doing
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links