Do you sleep with bedroom door open?

This is a discussion on Do you sleep with bedroom door open? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ever since I was young, my families bedroom doors all remained open while we slept. When I moved out on my own I kept the ...

View Poll Results: When you sleep, is your bedroom door...

Voters
357. You may not vote on this poll
  • Open

199 55.74%
  • Closed

158 44.26%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you sleep with bedroom door open?

Do you sleep with bedroom door open?

Ever since I was young, my families bedroom doors all remained open while we slept. When I moved out on my own I kept the same habbits and now that my GF and I live togeather our door is still open at night.

I was reading the "false alarm at 3am" thread and it started me thinking. As it was brought up in that thread, our SA is limited as we are awoke from a deep sleep. I've always thought the bedroom door being open was good b/c I would be woken up by the sounds of an intruder. But what if I'm not woken up? Would the bedroom door being closed be a 2nd chance for me to wake up before a BG could get to us?

I'm very interested to hear how others feel about this? I know there are pro's and con's to either having it open or closed, but how do you sleep?
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Mine is open because my little boys sleep right across the hall and I need to hear them.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

I've got a cat that wants out in the middle of the night so I need to hear him.
    My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

I want to hear somebody before they get all the way to my bedroom door.
    Last edited by Rotorblade; October 26th, 2009 at 10:27 AM. Reason: typo

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I wish, what's sleep?
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

If your on the couch, it doesn't matter if the bedroom door is open or not.

Seriously, with a 6 year old I want to be able to hear if something is going on with him. I don't sleep very soundly and do spend as much time on the couch as in my bed, so it really doesn't matter if the bedroom door is open or not.

If you will fix the entrances in your home where they are not easily breached you should hear if someone comes in. Also with the alarm system as soon as a door is opened I get a loud constant beep out of the alarm speaker which is only 10 ft from my bed.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

We always close door don't know why maybe just habit.

I live in a 2 story apartment, so there is no option of fortifying doors or adding alarm system. My dad spent 29 years on the Columbus Fire Dept, until he retired as Captain last year, so his number one concern was fire safety. Open doors = quicker evac. I'm not too heavy of a sleeper so I cant imagine anyone getting into my home forcefully without me waking up.

My worry comes from the fact that with a basic lock picking set i can open my front deadbolt in 30-45 seconds.... and I'm no expert lock picker. So I figure if I can do it, whats to say a BG couldnt do it. I might not be a heavy sleeper but I dont think I would wake up if someone got in without using force. Again, its a rental so there is no changing the locks.
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

First of all unless you live in an apartment or condo, your security starts at your property line.

Outside we have two big dogs, and while they are not vicious, they will bark at strangers.

All exteriors doors have had the screws replaced with long screws, and the deadbolts replaced with long through deadbolts. We don’t use the front door much, so on the front door I installed top and bottom bar locks that go into the concrete and wood above the door. The idea is that it will take multi kicks or several hits of a sledge hammer to knock it in.

Then inside the house, we have a small toy size dog and while she is nothing a BG should fear, her barking will wake the dead.

So to answer your question, unless we have guest staying with us we always leave the bedroom door open; I want to hear everything that goes on in the house.

we posted at same time, see above... I live in an apt.
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    We have pets. Whatever side of the door they're on, they want to be on the other.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Between the dog and my little girl in and out during the night we leave the door open. Also I have this thing for ice cream @ 2:00 a.m. for some reason.
    "Rhino"

Open: mostly b/c of the 130lb Saint Bernard who sometimes needs to go out in the middle of the night. Also b/c all the entry points are on the other end of the house, with only 1 path to get back to the bedrooms. If someone's inside who shouldn't be, i know exactly where they'll appear...if they make that mistake.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I live in a one bedroom apartment. If someone breaks in, I'll hear it. Door is usually open
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Closed doors keep the cats out of the bedroom.
    Locked bedroom door gives me a couple of extra seconds to wake-up and react.
    Cold air return in master suite keeps things cool in summer and cozy in winter.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links