My sis running a store solo?!

This is a discussion on My sis running a store solo?! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My younger sister 17, works often by herself in a little juice shop. Shes closes the store by herself often as well. I'm am slightly ...

Thread: My sis running a store solo?!

Exclamation My sis running a store solo?!

My younger sister 17, works often by herself in a little juice shop. Shes closes the store by herself often as well. I'm am slightly concerned for the potential of robbery/murder with just herself working there. No cameras. No co-workers. No panic alarm. I talked to her very briefly tonight about this and instantly I got the sheeple wall, "I'm fine, I'll be ok, nothing will happen".

Assuming I can break down that sheeple wall and open her mind, what could I/she do to help improve her survival-ness?

She's not old enough for a CHL, but could carry OC spray and some edge weapons. I asked about the employee policy's and it was just all given to her verbally for the most part, very relaxed. Either way, I'm going to recommend to just keep anything out of sight. They also gave her zero training in regards to robbery.

What should she do in an armed robbery? There's nothing I can think to do other then tell her to give them everything they want and to go down fighting if they try to take her into the back.

I'm also going to go in sometime and check out any potential emergency back door exits and routes. I plan on stressing awareness. There's bells on the door and I'm going to get her to always take her eyes off the task shes doing (safely) and instantly do a quick check/scan on the newly entering customer for any visible weapons. I'll give her some basic OC and H2H training. There are no close SD schools and plus she wouldn't go anyhow.

Thoughts? Sorry the post is so long winded.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    A big can of OC foam might help, but mind set and training are the biggest factors. she needs be aware and willing to defend herself.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Variable
    What should she do in an armed robbery? There's nothing I can think to do other then tell her to give them everything they want and to go down fighting if they try to take her into the back.
    Given the situation you've described, give them everything and hope all they are after is money, sorry.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Mossberg!!!

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

She's 17 and immortal. Didn't you know that? Not a whole lot you can do, really, beyond what you already know, other than convincing her to find a safer place to work.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

VIP Member
    Give her training and some defensive tools....but only if she is willing to accept either. Sounds like she might not be receptive to getting training or evening toting a can of OC.....good luck!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Quote Originally Posted by Variable
    My younger sister 17...
    Not sure on OR law, but check to see if minors can work alone. In WI and MI you cannot be alone in the store even for a second, if you are under 18. There aren't any exceptions. Something to check in to.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Pepper spray would be the best option. Have her practice with it so she understands how it functions. Perhaps you could teach her some basic self defense moves. Every chance you get, you need to emphasize that she needs to pay attention to her surroundings. Try to make her aware that crime is a very real issue.

I'm sure she is like millions of other teens and has a cell phone. If not get her one.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Maybe a little chat with her employer could help. At least enlighten them to the threats and liability issue.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Tough situation! Keep working on getting her into the correct mindset about selfdefense. A talk with her employer is also a good suggestion. Let them know you are concerned that there appears to be no training and no security precautions that they have taken for their employees. Maybe they will get the hint that if something were to ever happen you would be holding them responsible. Ultimatley of course each person's safety is in their own hands.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Sounds as though a large dose of the evening news could cure her invincibility. My 17 year old daughter was the same way and I still can't get her to carry the pepper spray often. It did help when one of her coworkers got robbed in the back parking lot. They all now park out front of the store. All you can do is give them the information and ability and hope they take heed.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

As grotesque as it sounds, mention the possibility of rape to her. That opened my old lady's eyes real fast when I requested she start carrying her pepper spray everywhere. Which started one awesome chain reaction where she just took her CCW course and just submitted her application for CCW. I know that's not an option for your sister yet, but pepper spray is better than nothing.

I just went through the same thing at one of my part time jobs. I complained to the management about staffing a female to close at night. Some companies have policies about this stuff and IMHO I would complain to the employer and forget about what an immortal 17yr old thinks.

Sometimes you have to look out for the sheep... atleast I do.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    If I had a female relative in this position, and she was not interested in self-defense precautions, I would advise her to just run out the back door at her top speed at the first sign of a robbery. I have read and seen too many horror stories to advise her to cooperate, give up the money, and hope for a good outcome.

Links