Check out this video...scary lack of SA

This is a discussion on Check out this video...scary lack of SA within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bat Prank is Today's BIG Thing - OCT 27, 2009 As I watched this video (it's a bit inane but only 2 minutes long) it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check out this video...scary lack of SA

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar

Check out this video...scary lack of SA

Bat Prank is Today's BIG Thing - OCT 27, 2009

As I watched this video (it's a bit inane but only 2 minutes long) it really struck me how easily a man in a large bat suit could sneak up on people and scare the jeepers out of them.

And then the thought hit me...what if he had tried to prank someone who was prepared and aware? Eek...
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

2. Remove Ads

More than likely he would be one sore bat dude. As the guy at the atm, or the dude along side the road displayed, the guy in the bat suit isn't prepared for any type of hand to hand conflict.

If a person with a CHL was to immediately draw their weapon and shoot, I think that they would be in serious trouble since the bat guy didn't pose any threat of bodily harm or death. Being a jack .... isn't a justifiable reason for deadly force against you.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Seriously stupid, but funny too.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    More than likely he would be one sore bat dude. As the guy at the atm, or the dude along side the road displayed, the guy in the bat suit isn't prepared for any type of hand to hand conflict.

If a person with a CHL was to immediately draw their weapon and shoot, I think that they would be in serious trouble since the bat guy didn't pose any threat of bodily harm or death. Being a jack .... isn't a justifiable reason for deadly force against you.
    They (costume person and camera person) knew it was a joke, the victims at the ATM and the gas station had no warning or prior knowledge. That is like saying the crackhead that jumped you in the park holding a screwdriver just wanted to know if you needed any repairs done.

At night, dressed in black, waving arms with "I don't know what" sneaking up on me while I am at the ATM or fueling, I am not gonna wait to verify if it is a piece of fabric or object to be used as a weapon or bag to throw over my head...

Not saying I would shoot, but I would be drawing for sure and getting off the "X".
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I seriously doubt the thought of people defending themselves came to these guys minds, while it was an entertaining video. They are lucky they didn't get hurt by someone.

Although seeing as it was filmed in France, the possibility of being shot was probably very low.... Idk maybe they would have gotten crepes thrown at them?

Quote Originally Posted by LRFireEMS View Post
    I seriously doubt the thought of people defending themselves came to these guys minds, while it was an entertaining video. They are lucky they didn't get hurt by someone.
    The vast majority of people have been conditioned to NOT defend themselves, so it's no surprise that they wouldn't think of it.

Although I did notice the guy at the ATM shoved him.

Gas station? Had that been me, he would have has gas poured all over him.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    If you watched it all the way to the end, there was French text across the screen. So if this was actually filmed in France, the chances of a gun being pulled were slim to none.

Let's see them try this in the Southern USA.

Or better yet, NOT.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Yep Springer...There are distinct clues throughout indicating this is not America as by the cars, cop car, bus stop design, etc.

Biggest one though being as in America everyone better associates a man in a bat suit to 'Batman' as rather than a literal figure of a bat the mammal.
    Even Canadians know this. :p

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Tis the season, kinda funny and a whole lot stupid, all at the same time.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I had a good laugh, they are very lucky they were not in the U.S
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Yeah, someone trying that in southeast Oklahoma would probably be perforated pretty quickly. Then, they'd be thrown in the pickup and taken to the taxidermist...
    He said to them, "But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one."

- Luke 22:36 (ESV)

Really kind of scary that a person in a bat suit could sneak up on them like that. No weapons allowed, I would have kicked him where the bat signal doesn't shine.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Kenney View Post
    Yeah, someone trying that in southeast Oklahoma would probably be perforated pretty quickly. Then, they'd be thrown in the pickup and taken to the taxidermist...
    LOL that's what I was thinking.. but you deserved whatever happened, if your dumb enough to do that in Mississippi.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

VIP Member
    The bat thing was pretty funny, though he got nailed a couple of times.

Tell you what, I ain't putting on a bat costume and sneaking up on people at night, I don't want to be on that Darwin Award list.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

This video disturbs me quite a lot. A while back someone posted a video with a man standing at an ATM and he got bumrushed by 2 or 3 males who came sprinting in knocking the victim down and robbing him. I would have unloaded my clip in that scenario. What troubles me is that in this bat video the bat rushes up to the man at the ATM from around a corner. If that was me I would have shot the bat out of reflex at being attacked. I would have drawn and fired a round seeing something very large lunging at me from concealment before I could have figured out it was a prank. In Texas it might be possible to get a no-bill in that scenario but what an utter shame it would be to possibly take a life when it was just a prank.

We are conditioned to think someone rushing up to us at an ATM is a life-threatening event. I dont think I could have discovered the prank before being past the point of no return if that was a REAL attack.

What would you guys do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links