Your CCW Permit Has Been Revoked

This is a discussion on Your CCW Permit Has Been Revoked within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the aftermath of a shooting your local authorities yank your CCW permit. You know that the deceased has family and friends who will come ...

View Poll Results: If your CCW permit is revoked, while fighting to get it back you:

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Edited By QKShooter - Illegal Carry Is Not A CombatCarry.com Forum Option.

13 30.23%
  • Carry another less effective weapon

15 34.88%
  • Bend over and take it

7 16.28%
  • Other (please specify)

8 18.60%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your CCW Permit Has Been Revoked

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar

Your CCW Permit Has Been Revoked

In the aftermath of a shooting your local authorities yank your CCW permit. You know that the deceased has family and friends who will come after you.

Do you carry without a permit, deep concealment, and so in protecting yourself you also break the law? Or do you depend on another, less effective weapon? Or, do you lie down and take it? Or, do you do something else I've not listed?

In Indiana I must have my permit to carry open as well. Go off your state's laws.

Josh <><
    Moderator Note:
    Please Note:
    This site is devoted to LEGAL open and concealed carry.
    While some State laws are (admittedly) overly restrictive and unfair - our forum members (on this site) are expected to abide by their respective state carry rules and regulations or...shut up about it.

PLEASE NOTE: Any admission of any form of illegal carry will be highly unappreciated and deleted A.S.A.P.

2. Remove Ads

I wouldn't break the law during the period of revocation - I'd be fighting to get it back, and I'd probably high-tail it to a out-of -state safehouse, or start carrying my long guns openly (legal in Texas). I'd probably get another long gun or two, including an AR or AK. Plus, my wife carries ( )

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    If I was at work when it happened, I would almost certainly be fired. If that was the case, I would have lots of free time at home, where it is legal for me to carry anyway.

I would be keeping a weapon and a long gun in my vehicle as well, and hanging out with friends I can trust to watch my six.

Other than that, I would be hiring the meanest lawyer I could find to restore my CCW.

I'd switch to Open Carry until I got the whole CCW situation worked out.

Depends on why it was revoked in the first place. If there was a chance of getting it restored I might watch my step.

If not, as it's been said: "better to be judged by 12..."
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them."
    George Mason

"Gun control is a job-safety program for criminals."
    John R. Lott

VIP Member
    Y'know...I'm not sure. If I honestly thought I was in danger, I'd probably carry anyway. But, if for some reason I was caught, it would be really hard to protect my family when I'm in jail; plus when I got out, I really wouldn't be allowed to carry.

On the other hand, carrying a less lethal (or several) options, might be a good compromise until I can get my permit back. I'm back to really not knowing for sure.

I have to admit, local authorities are very kind to self defense folks. Couple years ago, a young guy shot a 17 y/o who chased him and physically assaulted him. The deceased's family was not known to be kind folks. The police have been very specifically not releasing the shooters name (redacted on the police report) to help protect him from the unhappy kinfolk.

To make an specific effort like that was very conscientious on their part.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

I would not risk a UCW arrest while trying to get my CCW permit back. That's a no-brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zundfolge
    I'd switch to Open Carry until I got the whole CCW situation worked out.
    +1 here
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Last week or the week before someone asked what was a good reason to have permits from other states. Here one is. I live in Alabama which recognizes Utah and New Hampshire non-resident permits. My Utah should be here in the next 2 or 3 weeks. When we get back from California and Washington and payday rolls around I will be getting New Hampshire. So my answer is other. If Alabama suspends my permit I continue to carry legally using my Utah or New Hampshire non-resident permit.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

i also have multiple permits, and if my home state permit was suspended, i'd just carry on my NH or UT permit. Thats probably the one advantage to this mish-mash of permits and what states honor what
    Driver carries less then $20 of remorse.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    As the Mod pointed out, some states are overly restrictive! Unfortunately I live in one such state.

Normal procedure in MA when anyone is involved in a shooting, even when it appears 1000% righteous from the get-go.

- They confiscate your LTC (required for mere possession of guns, ammo, components, mags), all your guns/ammo/mags/components.

- They will also usually confiscate the LTC of your spouse/SO and all her guns/ammo/mags/components as well. They can do this because the LTC is "discretionary" and can be revoked at any time for no reason whatsoever.

- Usually the police will invite the media to videotape your house/address/guns and show it on the evening news. You don't have any say in the matter.

- Possession of any firearm without the LTC is a crime whereby you lose your gun possession rights forever.

So, short of running away to another state, you are a known target, unarmed and with a bullseye painted on your back for a very long time. However, you are likely to get indicted and have to defend yourself in court, so running away is not an option as you'd get arrested and convicted of running away to avoid prosecution.

Even if you win (no indictment, declared righteous shoot), most chiefs will not re-issue your LTC and even if they do, lots of guns/ammo/mags/components tend to "get lost" when you try to claim them or they stall you for months/years before you can get anything back (usually rusted, broken and worthless).

One could always move to Vermont, which does not require any special permit for concealed carry.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Hmmm. Now there is a reason for getting other permits that I had not thought of.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    I need to apologize. I was doing the copy'n'paste thing on several boards and didn't taylor the responses to any particular one.

For that, I am sorry ladies and gents, and especially QKShooter who had to edit my mindlessness.

Thanks,

Josh <><

Administrator

Thumbs up Josh

Your thoughtfulness (in general) is greatly appreciated but, an apology is not necessary.
    The follow~up comments to your poll/thread turned out to be informative and very interesting.
    Good reading.
    It just goes to show that one never knows (in advance) exactly which road any thread will end up traveling down.

The posted reply by LenS was very interesting to read and (in my opinion) his comment alone made the entire thread particularly worthwhile.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links