Mandated Reporting: Reason #413 for Clergy Carry

This is a discussion on Mandated Reporting: Reason #413 for Clergy Carry within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Clergy are Mandated Reporters of suspected child abuse in most jurisictions. This past week had the sadenning/madenning responsibility to make a call to the local ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandated Reporting: Reason #413 for Clergy Carry

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar

Clergy are Mandated Reporters of suspected child abuse in most jurisictions. This past week had the sadenning/madenning responsibility to make a call to the local Child Welfare office. Kid who live next door to the church comes over with a golf ball-sized bruise on his face and a story that just didn't wash. Parents (if you can call them that) had kept him home from school as well.

So after calling I kep half-waiting for an irate dad to come over with evil intent. Felt good knowing that I was prepared.

In the long run, nothing happened. I got the disposition letter from Child Welfare and it was one of those lame "didn't meet state requiremnents for intervention" statements.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    So sad to see what some kids have to endure these days.
    Proud NRA member

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Yeah, no compound fractures or loss of a limb. Most of these State "protective" agencies are too overworked to be of much value for anything. You did the right thing, mandated or not. Stay safe and keep up the good work!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Glad you had the courage and character to do the right thing vs the easy thing.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Years ago,my wife worked as a client rights officer for mentally ill/retarded individuals. Both child protective services/adult protective services are so bound by rules and regulations it is hard for them to do much.Sad.

Senior Moderator
    It can be frustrating at times to deal with the various state agencies. It seems that sometimes a kid can be beat near to death and they'll say that it didnt meet their requirements, but if they get a complaint that someone spanked their kid at Walmart they'll respond in force and want to remove the kid.

Like most government agencies these days,it seems that they lack common sense.

At least you have a paper trail to follow now in the event that it happens again. Perhaps then what is needed to be done will be done.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Hotguns it is true that there is now a paper trail. It is also true that many incidents that result in death have already been documented. It is shame that spanking in Wall Mart will get more attention than dangerous abuse. Please, if you think spanking is abuse, then let us agree to disagree.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Senior Moderator
    Most spanking is not abuse. I dont see where you got from my post that it is.

The reason that this country is going to hell in a handbasket is because people no longer discipline their kids. Many of them dont have a Dad to put a foot in their tail when they need it and their Mothers coddle them to the point of being ridiculous.

There is no disagreement here, unless you think that spanking is abusive.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    Clergy are Mandated Reporters of suspected child abuse in most jurisictions. This past week had the sadenning/madenning responsibility to make a call to the local Child Welfare office. Kid who live next door to the church comes over with a golf ball-sized bruise on his face and a story that just didn't wash. Parents (if you can call them that) had kept him home from school as well.

So after calling I kep half-waiting for an irate dad to come over with evil intent. Felt good knowing that I was prepared.

In the long run, nothing happened. I got the disposition letter from Child Welfare and it was one of those lame "didn't meet state requiremnents for intervention" statements.
    Been there. Years ago, a boy reported something to my wife and I. We reported it. State agency came. Not their jurisdiction. Referred to next regional area. They eventually talked to us. Decided it should be referred to still a third regional area. Long story, nothing was done. No question in our minds that abuse continued. The abuser was a civilian contract employee with contacts with the local P.D. Infuriating to the nth degree.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    +1 on the paper trail, but this family already has a paper trail.

We try to reach out to the kids whenever possible, but they are living in very bad environment. Frustrating!
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Senior Moderator
    We try to reach out to the kids whenever possible, but they are living in very bad environment. Frustrating!
    Frustrating it is. You ought to try it from the LEO end. It can be infuriating at times.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

When you guys got done with them you sent them to me. Wilderness Counselor for 6 1/2 yrs. Try living with them 24-7 in the woods. What am I talking about, if I could support my family with it I'd jump right back in. I was in SC and we had the duty to inform, had to keep lots of notes. My view of some of these situation is so out of the norm it's hard to talk to folks. Show me a messed up kid and I bet I can show you a messed up parent or two! Keep at it though guys. I've been out for 8 yrs. I occasionally get a phone call from a kid to tell me what he's up to. Can't describe how cool that is. And you never know what kind of impact you made till much later. One act of kindness will be remembered for a long time.

If the father was informed be state agency that abuse was suspected, it is very possible that he will put 2 and 2 together and show up at your door. What I'm saying is watch your back. For all those who think being in the ministry is a soft life they need to have the pressure of the ministry on them for a while. There is no other life's calling like it.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    When you guys got done with them you sent them to me. Wilderness Counselor for 6 1/2 yrs. Try living with them 24-7 in the woods. What am I talking about, if I could support my family with it I'd jump right back in. I was in SC and we had the duty to inform, had to keep lots of notes. My view of some of these situation is so out of the norm it's hard to talk to folks. Show me a messed up kid and I bet I can show you a messed up parent or two! Keep at it though guys. I've been out for 8 yrs. I occasionally get a phone call from a kid to tell me what he's up to. Can't describe how cool that is. And you never know what kind of impact you made till much later. One act of kindness will be remembered for a long time.
    I know what you mean. I work with At Risk Youth, at a 5 1/2 month long program. They live at the facility in a military environment. I have done this since retiring from the Navy five years ago. I no longer think that I have seen or heard it all.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Regarding Spanking---The art of applying the hand of wisdom to the seat of knowledge

Regarding the Mandated reporting: Yes--it can create some "very interesting" situations: situations that can range from uncomfortable down the spectrum to downright deadly

So often it seems like we (the mandated reporters) end up suffering more than the abusers of children....

Yet we are still Called to do the right thing..............
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links