Here is one to churn your noggin...

This is a discussion on Here is one to churn your noggin... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not really a SD situation... but one to churn your noggin none the less. This kind of happened to me a few month ago when ...

Thread: Here is one to churn your noggin...

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Here is one to churn your noggin...

Not really a SD situation... but one to churn your noggin none the less.

This kind of happened to me a few month ago when my wife had her car broken in to. It was about 4am when we had a knock on our door... naturally I was a little weary so I grabbed my Glock and headed down to see what the deal was. I poked my head out of the curtain and didn't see anyone so I cracked the door a hair with my Glock behind my back still. Thats when a LEO Poked around from just out of view to let me know my car had been broken in to. I placed my Glock down out of view and proceeded to talk to the LEO. He never saw the Glock.

How would this have played out if he saw my Glock, yet I'm on my property, inside the house and it is 4am... I mean he shouldn't be alarmed at the fact that I would answer the door armed at 4am, or would he, and could it go south quick?

What say you?

2. Remove Ads

He shouldn't have a problem with YOUR Glock.
    DarkEarth
    Luke 22:36: " If thou hast no sword, sell thy cloak and buy one."

You really will need to ask the LEO's here what they think. Personally, if it is 4 a.m. the LEO should expect a home owner to answer the door with a gun.

As long as it isn't pointed at the LEO and isn't be handled unsafely, they should not have a problem.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Your house... your gun... you're armed with it... you're protecting yourself against an unknown knock on the door at night with persons unseen... LEO should have known better to be in sight... unless he was walking away because he thought y'all were asleep.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Since he was responding to you, the VICTIM, I don't think he would have been worried unless it was pointed at him... and I'm sure he'd appreciate you holstering it or putting it down once you verified he was an LEO...

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    I am sure the officer expects to meet a homeowner with a gun at 4:00am. I am impressed the officer is so familiar with the typicals that he noticed the break in. We have a night man in town here that is remarkable for picking up on anything just slightly out of place. The town is pretty much on lock down when he is on duty.

^^+1
    Im sure an officer would understand you carrying at 4am when you get a knock on the door. Especially if break- ins are in the least bit common there.

I would hope that the cop would 'expect' the homeowner to be armed. I would have been wearing the firearm...in the holster would cause no one to alarm.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpion12 View Post
    Your house... your gun... you're armed with it... you're protecting yourself against an unknown knock on the door at night with persons unseen... LEO should have known better to be in sight... unless he was walking away because he thought y'all were asleep.
    Made that statement bold as that is what I am replying to. When I was in the academy, and serving as a reserve deputy, we were taught to stand to the side of doors (and windows), JUST IN CASE someone shot through the door. Maybe it is just habit for this officer not to stand in front of doors. I have not done the job in almost 10 years, and I STILL do not stand in front of any doors or windows when I am knocking on a door.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

First question, why didn't you get verbal identification as to who was at the door before opening it?

Who is it? would be an appropriate question to ask. Then, depending on the response you could determine what to do next. Perhaps having the officer show his picture ID in the window, while keeping the majority of his or her body out of the line of fire.

You can also call 911 and the Operator will be able to tell you if there is in fact a "local" LEO at your door.

Biker

I'm with Biker, id and verification before I open the door to anybody regardless of their uniform or flashing lights. Impersonation is too common to risk opening the door to a uniform without confirmation.

I think it depends on where you are. my neighbor had LEO wake him up at 2 am. They were on the small porch of his trailer. He asked them to ID. They did. He was also holding a shotty. He asked them to step off the porch before he would open the door. They refused. He racked one into the shotty and asked again. He heard one cop say, "He's got a shot gun!" They both retreated off the porch. He then cracked the door to talk to them. I don't actually recommend this tactic, just thought it was a bit amusing.

But we all know this would not fly in some parts of the country. It's not completely unexpected around here, the second officer did not seem to mind as much. Some places it might get you shot in a hurry, or lead to lots of flashing lights around your house.

Links