Foreign Mugging

Foreign Mugging

This is a discussion on Foreign Mugging within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's a scenario that happened to me a few years back in a major foreign city. I was in a study-abroad program. Knowing what I ...

Thread: Foreign Mugging

Angry Foreign Mugging

Here's a scenario that happened to me a few years back in a major foreign city. I was in a study-abroad program. Knowing what I know now, I've been trying to figure out what I would've done differently. What would you have done?

I had been hanging out with some friends, and didn't leave until around 0100. My host parents' apartment was in a side-street directly off the city's main avenue. Even at this hour there was traffic on the main street, but my street was poorly lit and basically deserted.

When I was about half-way between the main street and my apartment, I saw two men approaching me from about 30 yards. It seemed strange to me, but I continued on. At this point, what would have been the best course of action? I felt that turning around would have encouraged them to move more quickly, as would have going to the other side of the street. Continuing on didn't seem like a great idea, but it's what I did.

When we got near, the one on my left asked me what time it was. I got out my watch (I know! ), at which point he grabbed my arm and told me he wanted my watch. I tried to pull back, but his buddy was blocking me on my right, and then the first guy got out what looked like a knife. Then the second guy sprayed me with pepper spray. Fortunately, his movement to spray me left enough of an opening I was able to break contact and run. A man got out of a taxi near us and stopped them, allowing me to reach my apartment.

I should mention that I was entirely unarmed except for a long-shafted key, and untrained in SD at that time. I wasn't confident that, if I tried to counter-attack, I would have been successful.

Thoughts? Comments? Similar experiences?

I used to work for an older lady who was mugged in broad daylight in St. Petersburg.

It seemed strange to me, but I continued on.
    First mistake if it looks funk it is funky

When we got near, the one on my left asked me what time it was.
    The interview phase. If I don't know you I don't allow you to approach or engage me. look them dead in the eye and say STOP! DO NOT APPROACH ME. If they continue to approach they just moved up the food chain from potential target to target. If you can't carry a gun have pepper spray

VIP Member
    This is a really difficult situation.

First off, it is two on one, so even if trained in self defense, unless you are pretty good you might not prevail. Going against a knife is a guarantee of getting cut.

Second, you are in a foreign place. Even an SD fist fight, or a strong shove, might land you in a most unpleasant "legal" system with the deck stacked against you. You might have few rights if any at all. I know of places where home owners can't even punch a home intruder, only attempt to retreat or stand silently while their stuff is taken and the police take their time arriving. Of course in this place I know about, home invasions are the sport of teens.

Glad it worked out for you.

Welcome to the forum!

We have foreign countries with muggers all over the United States of America.

They are NY, NJ, MD, DC, and also referred to by the name of 'university', 'college', 'K-12' as well as 'gun free zone'.

Generally they all fall under a UN classification like type known as 'N.P.E.', which stands for Non Permissive Environment.

Other have asked the exact same question in the past and below is an advisory I've offered that you well could have applied to your own situation as a method of defense.

College protection - January 18th, 2008, 02:46 AM
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...377-post8.html

What to do in paradise? - June 25th, 2007, 02:28 AM
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...61-post29.html

Bring one with you as among your carry on luggage and even use it to 'lock' something up or as one item to another as one might otherwise apply a zip tie.
    At first glance these are very much innocuous looking and not thought of as be having potential for being weaponized.

Project ChildSafe - Putting a lock on safety in your community

Live long and prosper.

- Janq

P.S. - The rules of the street apply in any and every country and location.
    0100 is far too late to be walking any street never mind as an tourist in a foreign country/environment.
    You wouldn't allow yourself to over stay as to 1AM and wind up having to walk through the south side of Chicago or Baltimore City or DC or Oakland.
    Do not think to do same as anywhere else. Criminals are criminals, everywhere. And they all prefer cover of darkness no matter what language they speak.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Always travel in groups, the bigger the better. Use the buddy system. Never travel alone. I am retired Navy and spent alot of time in different countries and this is what we always preached. Most criminals use this same system. Predators are cowards and will not attack if they think they will lose. If criminal does not win he is at risk of a beating, jail or even death. He knows this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

One problem with foreign countries if you defend yourself from an attack you can end up being charged with a crime,look at englands BS laws,There is nothing outside the continental US I find intriguing enough to go visit,we have more natural wonders here than I could see in a lifetime
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    One problem with foreign countries if you defend yourself from an attack you can end up being charged with a crime,look at englands BS laws,There is nothing outside the continental US I find intriguing enough to go visit,we have more natural wonders here than I could see in a lifetime
    In places like UK the citizens and tourists are sitting ducks ever since their nationwide gun ban. The perps for some reason, still have guns. Bloody hell, who would have thought, eh?
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Agreed Duk.

Much of the world, including areas of the US too, are just that way.
    Which means as a world citizen one has to be prepared to make hard choices, before and after contact with wolves.

Standing around post incident survival to detail the event to the local po-po might not be the wisest play, even as one may have been by fact the victim.
    This is not specific to foreign country travel.

- Janq

"You have to know when to hold'em. Know when to fold'em. Know when to walk away, and know when to run..." - Kenny Rogers, 'The Gambler'
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I do a lot of travel out of the US. . But the best bet is to use your head and apply common knowledge and you will be fine. Try not to get into a situation in a different country because the laws can be very different and you are a guest so just be sure to know get to know some of the SD laws before you go if you think something mite happen. But 2on1 there was not much you could do other then turn around and say hey back off. Most the time people like that look for easy targets and if you show that you are going to fight they probly wont mess with you
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    the way to be safe is never to be secure.
    Benjamin franklin

Links