Business Owners - Open or Concealed?

This is a discussion on Business Owners - Open or Concealed? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering how much of a crime deterrent openly carrying is as a business owner? There is a popular liquor store in town that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Business Owners - Open or Concealed?

Business Owners - Open or Concealed?

I was wondering how much of a crime deterrent openly carrying is as a business owner? There is a popular liquor store in town that is owned by an elder gentleman and his "war bride" (his words not mine) and are great people to talk to. They open carry, as do the proprietors of a couple liquor stores in town, and they go a step further posting so on their doors that "If you attempt to rob us, you will die." So far, they have not been robbed and have been open for many years. Meanwhile, several other unarmed liquor stores in town have been robbed repeatedly.

I carry concealed because the majority of my customers are sheep with children. Every once in a while though when someone comes through that is casing my place (it happened a couple weeks ago and 2 neighboring businesses were broken into because they didn't have alarms) I would like for them to know I'm armed. Is losing the element of surprise worth the possibility of preventing an occurrence?
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I've been to a coin dealer that at any given time, probably has over $1M on premises. There are two entry doors with cypher locks that must be opened by the guy at the counter just to let you in. Every employee is armed, open.

I'd have to say that stand very little chance of being robbed, especially by a novice criminal.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Open carry. All of my employees are encouraged, but some carry concealed. Two don't carry at all.

VIP Member
    The answer really depends on who you are serving and the nature of your business and customers. Open carry in a business can also send a very wrong signal--"we are concerned that there might be trouble. " Potential trouble would drive customers away as no one wants to do business where there might be trouble.

There are other ways to send a message to criminals that your place is secure and they will get nothing but trouble if they cause a problem at your store or business.

Other than at a gun store or gun range, I can see little reason for open carry at a place of business; and even in these places it does more to promote "atmosphere" and sales than to provide true security. BGs intent on robbing a gun store will just work in a group and perhaps plan their attack well.

I personally feel opened carry is the best deterrent. A robber knows 100% that he's gonna get into a gun battle trying to rob you. With concealed carry he is banking on 50% odds that you are armed and may just take the risk to go for it. Not germane to your scenario but I open carry on my property here in PA just for that reason.
    One more step and it's on!

Let me clarify. For day to day business I will continue to carry concealed because I would lose the majority of my business if I were to open carry. As Hopyard alluded to, soccer moms and open carry don't mix. I am referring to strategically revealing my weapon in a very few select occasions when it isn't customers in my store, but thugs casing the place. Basically going from concealed carry to open carry for a couple minutes while a perceived threat is present. Their behavior gives them away every time and it only happens once or twice a month.

I'm not talking about glaring at them and lifting my shirt but since I usually am in the back and walk up front to greet people, it is possible for me to tuck the side of my shirt behind my holster.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

VIP Member
    Concealed... why give away your tactical advantage?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Everyone here at my office that has a permit carries concealed BUT I have no objection to OC inside our business. CC keeps the sheep calm. Since OC is a strict NO NO here in FL, we have little options outside of the warehouse

OC is a great deterrant and I agree that once the word get around, the locals will hunt elsewhere
    2A is not negotiable

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomortis View Post
    Let me clarify. For day to day business I will continue to carry concealed because I would lose the majority of my business if I were to open carry. As Hopyard alluded to, soccer moms and open carry don't mix. I am referring to strategically revealing my weapon in a very few select occasions when it isn't customers in my store, but thugs casing the place. Basically going from concealed carry to open carry for a couple minutes while a perceived threat is present.
    Without knowing your business and operation it really isn't possible to offer firm meaningful advice. I have no problem at all with you open carrying in your place of business when, for example after hours, you are receiving shipments, transferring money to a courier service, dealing with salespeople you don't know well, and so forth. And maybe if your were operating the local stop and rob convenience store I would also have no problem with open carry; I don't think in that situation you would scare anyone off. I do think you need to consider the nature of your business, the likely reaction of your customers, the cost v benefit and the risk v benefit. Only you know your business well enough to make a correct decision.

We carry concealed at our office. I don't know of any accountants that carry openly in their offices.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I think it depends upon the business...in a gun shop I would expect the employees to be openly armed, in a jewelry store I would not expect to see guns, although you might be getting robbed without a gun.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Just do a couple of those chalk drawings that you see in the old cop shows one or two outside and a couple inside should do it.

Really you still have to keep customers happy and leave the impression they are safe,some might not feel that way if your CC
    spooks them away.

I carry concealled at the gun shop: I carry that way before and after work, so why change for business hours? I also have a large dog as security assistant. He loves people and gets treats from some of the regulars. However, twice in the past year he persuaded suspicious characters to not even try to enter. I didn't want then in the store either. Good dog!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

First of let me start by saying great topic. I am a service technician at a heating and AC business i am in peoples houses all day everyday. Which makes CC very interesting. I always keep a Glock 23 in the truck ready to go and have looked at the 511 holster shirt with a P238 for a CC option that is less noticeable. At the office i wear an OWB and try to keep my shirt over, havent noticed any problems with customers, other than my Dad who gives me an occasional hard time

I own an IT company (we do field calls and work on big businesses). I encourage everyone to conceal if they want. In fact, the guys who work in the field. I offer to pay for their permit.

Inside my office I don't require them to take it off and if they wish to remove their jacket and their firearm is visible I do not get on to them. As long as they are not in the part of the building where customers come in. We do a lot of large server builds and production for huge corporations, which means at any given time I have over a million $$ in product around. People who know my business know this fact. So in that area...OC is perfectly fine with me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links