Christianity and Self Defense

This is a discussion on Christianity and Self Defense within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everyone! I just thought I would post a link to a series of blog posts I wrote on Evangelical Christianity and self defense. Here's ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar

Hi everyone!

I just thought I would post a link to a series of blog posts I wrote on Evangelical Christianity and self defense. Here's part 1 of 4:
    Christianity and Self Defsense, Part 1

Parts 2, 3, and 4 are linked at the bottom of each successive post. I enjoyed writing the series, so I hope it makes you consider.

My best to each of you and yours.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Thank you for sharing.

It may help answer questions that come up from time to time on this forum about SD and Christianity.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    That was a good read. Thanks for sharing it.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

<< Luke 22:36 >>

Then said he to them, But now, he that has a purse, let him take it, and likewise his money: and he that has no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Why buy a sword except for self defense?

Nicely done.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

I thought the passage in Luke was "Sell your cloak and buy a Glock!"

Thanks for the blog...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

MinistrMalic, I read your series. It was very well thought out and written. Your comments on martial arts raised some questions for me. I am trying to find an art that is not in conflict with my faith first and foremost. What are your thoughts on Krav Maga as compared to the Indenosian martial arts? I am trying to find an art that can be effective to the practioner in a matter of months instead of years and has practical application in this present society. and it's circumstances. Sorry if I am being long-winded.

From another Pastor....a very good read! Good job. One of the best commentaries I've seen on the subject of self-defense. Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

Thanks for the blog...
    Actually, it was "Sell your wool blazer and buy a SIG"....

Great read which better equips me to speak with some of the pacifists I encounter. Thanks for sharing it, Malic.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

A lack of preparation on your part does not and will not constitute an emergency on mine.

E.A.A. Windicator 2" .357/.38 revolver
    CHP carrier since Oct. 15, 2009

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Why buy a sword except for self defense?
    I was going to suggest a switchblade but I didn't want to start another caliber war.

"I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    MinistrMalic, I read your series. It was very well thought out and written. Your comments on martial arts raised some questions for me. I am trying to find an art that is not in conflict with my faith first and foremost. What are your thoughts on Krav Maga as compared to the Indenosian martial arts? I am trying to find an art that can be effective to the practioner in a matter of months instead of years and has practical application in this present society. and it's circumstances. Sorry if I am being long-winded.
    I would recommend Haganah. . I am over 65, 100% disabled and found this training to be beneficial and an alternative to using my Glock. . It is simple in concept, easy to perform.

http://www.fight2survive.com/location.html

I was concerned as I had dabbled in Martial Arts when I was much younger and was worried that I couldn’t do the correct Katas. Hand position, foot position, Etc. This is not a sport where they judge you on the very correct position of you hand, feet, or how high you can kick Etc,

It is simply a self defense course that allows you to defend yourself and walk away or you can take it into the eradicate mode . The choice is up to you, not your aggressor. I didn’t find my age and physical ability to be too much of a hindrance.

I wasn’t able to do the ground and pound that some of the younger students were doing, so the instructor taught me what I was able to do within my limited physical condition. Putting your aggressor on the ground and limiting his abilities does not required you to go to the ground with him.

There is a move in whuch you break the agressor ankle. It became a joke, (which I also took part in) in my class as when I preformed a self defese movement it always ended with " and then you break his ankle"

Even though it is an Israeli art it is not religious orientated.

There is no requirement or suggestion that you honor any religious figure unlike some of the Asian matrial arts

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    Well to me it's actually a double question. From a theological perspective I personally have no problem with Krav. It is a brutal art but has no idolatry within it that I can see. However, for the record I don't have a lot of experience with it and so my perspective is limited. YMMV.

My challenge with Krav (hmmm...better get some cover for getting flamed by Krav practitioners!) is it's execution. It is built and designed for the Israeli military. So that means young men. Strong young men. Sure others can use it, but I am concerned that as a 75-year-old it will not be helpful. I want an art that I can use throughout life.

Many arts are okay. I personally study American Kenpo. Find an instructor that isn't into the meditation and stuff, and whose philosophy is not that it takes years of study to gain proficiency with unarmed combat. At our school we believe that you gain from your very first class and can defend yourself in many situations right from the get go. Kenpo just makes you better at a skill you already possess.

That being said, there are no shortcuts to self defense. If you want to be proficient, a few months of training in anything will not cut it whatever anyone says. It'll make you better but not as much as you want. So find something you take joy in and stick with it. I have been studying Kenpo for about 3 1/2 years and enjoy it thoroughly. For me it is an extension of my armed combat skills!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

Thanks for the blog...
    It changes depending on who is doing the translating, it is not just word for word translation, the way they ordered sentences is totally different.

6th Commandment

tir-tsach LO
    you shall murder NOT

other times it is

LO tir-tsach
    NOT you shall murder

The Jewish sages note that the word “ratsakh” applies only to illegal killing (e.g., premeditated murder or manslaughter) — and is never used in the administration of justice or for killing in war. Hence the KJV translation as “thou shalt not kill” is too broad.
    One day I would like to sit down with a Rabbi and learn to ACTUALLY read the old testement as written instead of someones translation. I would also like to ACTUALLY read the new testement too. There are people that spend their lives trying to do just that but I dont have that much patience.

Hebrew Lessons — Ten Commandments

My duty as a Christian is first and foremost to protect the innocent. Whether the subject is Abortion, Crime, Capital Punishment, or any of the other life and death issues we face day to day.

Good read on the link too, thanks.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I wouldn't describe protecting the innocent as the first duty of a Christian, but it's probably in the top ten.

And meditation during martial arts training is a great time for quiet prayer.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links