Intervene at your own risk

This is a discussion on Intervene at your own risk within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What an imbecile!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intervene at your own risk

What an imbecile!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

What do you expect from Sonic, a place where you must eat in your car, if you dine there.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    Sounds like a management type, to me...
    Sounds like an ex-management type,....

Good thing that guy didn't get shot.

Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    Sounds like an ex-management type,....
    What are you talking about - he's ready for a promotion with outside the bun thinking like that!

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    "outside the bun"

While we are all busy castigating the Manager, or former Manager as the case may be, ask your self how you would feel if you had been there and intervened.

While this may have appeared to be a felony in progress it was in fact something else. Yes, the "reasonable person" would most likely conclude that armed intervention was in fact justifiable, given what was known at the time, there is no guarantee that things will be seen that way. The on duty constabulary has liability coverage and legal immunity if they did in fact follow agency policy when they intervened. The off duty constabulary may, or may not, have that same umbrella of protection, depending upon state law, agency policy and various other factors.

While the situation may in fact be a "justified shoot" that does little to help one sleep at night after this type of situation. I contend that my sleep is more important than the employees or customers enjoying their Sonic burger. Therefore I contend that outside of a 911 call and me getting to cover, or away from the scene, unless you are threatening me and mine I will not intervene beyond summoning the on duty LEO's to sort it out.

Yes, I realize that sounds cold. Guess what, it's a cold world.

Biker

You cannot do such a thing with public around, without expecting huge public backlash at the lunacy of putting people at risk like that. Yes, at minimum, they were risking an upstanding citizen intervening and taking out the felon. At worst, innocents could have been harmed in a situation that doesn't go well.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    While we are all busy castigating the Manager, or former Manager as the case may be, ask your self how you would feel if you had been there and intervened.

While this may have appeared to be a felony in progress it was in fact something else. Yes, the "reasonable person" would most likely conclude that armed intervention was in fact justifiable, given what was known at the time, there is no guarantee that things will be seen that way. The on duty constabulary has liability coverage and legal immunity if they did in fact follow agency policy when they intervened. The off duty constabulary may, or may not, have that same umbrella of protection, depending upon state law, agency policy and various other factors.

While the situation may in fact be a "justified shoot" that does little to help one sleep at night after this type of situation. I contend that my sleep is more important than the employees or customers enjoying their Sonic burger. Therefore I contend that outside of a 911 call and me getting to cover, or away from the scene, unless you are threatening me and mine I will not intervene beyond summoning the on duty LEO's to sort it out.

Yes, I realize that sounds cold. Guess what, it's a cold world.

Biker
    Absolutely. Make every possible attempt to flee the scene. If that fails and there's a direct threat to you, then go ahead a shoot.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Man that dude's dumber than a bag of hammers!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by billdeserthills View Post
    What do you expect from Sonic, a place where you must eat in your car, if you dine there.
    Not all of them though. Mine have tables outside as well. From the tables you can see right into the restaraunt and anything going on in the front area.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links