Deadly force

Deadly force

This is a discussion on Deadly force within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New to guns, after reading these posts I am confused when it is ok to use deadly force away from home. Please set me straight. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadly force

Deadly force

New to guns, after reading these posts I am confused when it is ok to use deadly force away from home.
    Please set me straight.

Thanks

Take a good ccw course, u will learn a lot. U shouldnt carry a gun without allllll the information you need to know. My class was 7 hours long, ex cop was the instructor...he used up allll 7 hours with info

I believe this is valid 100% of the time in any state, but some states probably require less.

UseofForce.us: AOJP

VIP Member
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by debrunsky View Post
    New to guns, after reading these posts I am confused when it is ok to use deadly force away from home.
    Please set me straight.

Thanks
    It depends on where are. Every state has different laws. Are you taking away from home like out running errands? Or away from home in a different state?

Check the laws of your particular state to start with, that will give you the "legal" starting point for yourself.

There is no simple answer to your question after you know your state law. Then you have to consider how much risk your willing to take. This might very well depend again on where you live, what family you have, or any number of other factors.

The question you asked was simple, the answer, not so much so.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Def good advice re the CCW course.. And also, if you move or carry in a different State, the standard of legal liability could vary.

Check out the "Castle Doctrine" -- +P+ gunowner protection in Florida, and adopted in several other States. Sure wish mine (Virginia) would get around to get -- PRONTO!

Dist. Life Member-NRA
    2nd Amendment Democrat
    Vietnam-era Army Vet

VIP Member
    If you haven't already taken a CC course you need to take one. They should give you the basics of your states use of deadly force rules. Also research laws for your state for further information.

Taking a course is probably the only way you can emerse yourself into the reasons for and against the use of deadly force. My wife had all kinds of questions about that very issue...she found a 4-6 hour CCW course quite inlightening.

I would be quite careful about carrying a concealed weapon (CCW) prior to having a clear understanding of the parameters of using deadly force in your state, or any other state that you visit.

Stay armed...know and understand your state's laws...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Please set me straight.

Thanks
    Three words. Shoot to live no matter where you are. If you don't live, all of this will mean nothing to you

pax
    The UseofForce.us link above is a good one.

Here are two more that may help, from my own website: Cornered Cat - Ability, Opportunity, Jeopardy and Cornered Cat - Legal Myths

Pick up a copy of Ayoob's In the Gravest Extreme -- or better still, take a class from him at the earliest opportunity. His lifework has been explaining and clarifying these concepts for ordinary folks like us, and he is a master at it.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    This will work in most any state. Use the acronym IDOL [Immediate Defense of Life] Ask yourself this question. "If I do not act, will someone die or be seriosly injured? If the answer is YES then is is time to go! If answer is NO leave it in the holster!!

My .02 cents : IF someone is about to kill you or try to kill you, use whatever force is necessary to stop them. Anything else, find another way of handling it.

For Mississippi I would read Senate Bill 2426. http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/doc...9/SB2426PS.htm
    The bill is only 2 1/4 pages of large type.
    Last edited by Stevew; November 18th, 2009 at 06:12 AM.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I am confused when it is ok to use deadly force away from home.
    In one phrase, essentially, justified use of lethal force requires that the innocent be in immediate and otherwise unavoidable danger of death or grave bodily harm.

Basically, as others have said: if you're legitimately threatened, what're you gonna do ... pause to whip out the legal text until you can find the applicable state code that covers what you're about to do? Absolutely not. If you're legitimately threatened, absolutely defend. If you're at legitimate risk of losing your life, defend even up to the point of using deadly force to defend it.

Keep in mind the "Reasonable Man Standard," in which you are given legal authority to decide what's reasonable right then and there, but ultimately your peers (in a jury) get the authority to determine what was reasonable, in hindsight. Ensure you know how this applies to your state's laws related to self-defense.

Read this: Justifiable self defense.

Acquire a copy of Massad Ayoob's book, In The Gravest Extreme. Read it a second time.

Consider taking one or two weekend seminars on self-defense and the justifiable, legal use of force in your state. Each state's laws are different. Some states restrict you nearly to the point of inability to defend yourself without stepping in one of a tangle of legal potholes seemingly placed there to trip you up. In many states, "Castle" laws seek to protect the absolute right of a person to defend against violent crime. You need to learn to know and love your state's laws on the use of force, the use of lethal force, the concealed carry and open carry laws ... until you can feel them in your bones. Find a good attorney who is competent in the successful defense of folks involved in self-defense shootings against criminals.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links