Just walk in? Bad idea

Just walk in? Bad idea

This is a discussion on Just walk in? Bad idea within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Minor incident at home yesterday. Middle of the day, the doorbell rings. My wife is in the middle of something, so I head from my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just walk in? Bad idea

Just walk in? Bad idea

Minor incident at home yesterday. Middle of the day, the doorbell rings. My wife is in the middle of something, so I head from my upstairs office to get the door. As I'm coming down the stairs, I hear the doorknob being jiggled and the sounds of the door being pushed on.

Unfortunately, I don't have a peephole or a window that I can look out through, so I can't see what I'm getting into. I open the door quickly, just a little bit, my foot blocking it, and my hand on my gun.

Turns out it was a couple old women looking for a friend. Told them they had the wrong house - that was it.

But I got to thinking - what would have happened if I hadn't had the door locked?

If I heard the door OPEN, I probably would have come down the stairs with my gun drawn.

Two lessons learned:

1 - Keep your door locked. There are some NON-obvious reasons as well as the obvious ones.

2 - Don't just walk in to someone's house!

I was going to a friends apartment a year ago or so. He lives in a large complex where all the apartments look exactly alike. Well I called him about 5 minutes out to tell him I was almost there, he said "come on in when you get here". Well it turns out it had been a little while since I had been there last and thought he lived a block over from where he actually did.

Long story short I "went on in" and found myself stareing down the buisness end of a 12guage. Needless to say that now, regardless of what the homeowner tells me before I get there, I knock before entering.
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

VIP Member
    Well if it was a little old lady I would give her time to explain and leave. If it was an adult male stranger in my home he would never get the chance to explain himself. It would be a terrible mistake.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Well if it was a little old lady I might pause for a second before shooting her, giving her time to explain and leave. If it was an adult male in my home he would never get the chance to explain himself. It would be a fatal mistake.
    so you are saying if a guy walked through your door you wouldnt hesitate to kill him before you evaluated whether there was a threat or not?

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    just curious on thread topic...

could you have asked through the door who was there? or did you feel it was necessary to open the door to identify the person(s) on the other side?

i am questioning it because you abandoned the safety of the front door between you and a possible assailant to identify them. and as you may have had your hand on your gun you dont know what you were facing on the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Well if it was a little old lady I might pause for a second before shooting her, giving her time to explain and leave. If it was an adult male in my home he would never get the chance to explain himself. It would be a fatal mistake.
    Not everyone that presents as a threat is so.

I hope you never have to test your theories and beliefs regarding the use of lethal force as this would give serious pause, IMHO, to any prosecutor or litigation attorney and not be favorable to you.

Biker

Walking into someone's home without at least knocking on the door is foolish! The last thing I'd ever do is surprise someone that could mistake me for a BG.

Even my Mom at 74 years old tells my younger brother & I to ALWAYS call ahead before visiting her. She does NOT like surprise unannounced visits. She is a cautious lady who always uses the peep hole before opening the door.

Mom always keeps her doors locked. Nowadays it is foolish to not lock the door to your home.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    so you are saying if a guy walked through your door you wouldnt hesitate to kill him before you evaluated whether there was a threat or not?
    My thougts exactly! Having stranger in your home does not mean you are danger of life, limb or great physical harm! Think about what you say...it may make the jurys job very easy some day.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Some time back we had a guy from the phone company making some repairs which required him to enter and exit our home a few times. *Every* time he re-entered the home he announced "Phone man coming in" or some such statement. I thought it was a very good idea, as another family member could have been unaware of his visit and been unpleasantly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by nosights View Post
    My thougts exactly! Having stranger in your home does not mean you are danger of life, limb or great physical harm! Think about what you say...it may make the jurys job very easy some day.
    +1 Prison sucks!

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar

Happened to me once

Back when I was single (and thin, and had hair...) I lived in an old house that had a large side proch with double doors opening into a spare bedroom. I had come home late on Saturday night and crashed. About 8 AM I heard the sound of those doors trying to be opened (blinds clanging). Now I did not have a key to the doors as it was a rental and there were front and rear door entryways. Anyway, I get up not all awake, pulled my PT99 and came out of my room with the gun drawn and hammer back only to find the ReMax lady in her orange coat with a lovely family with several kids all dressed like they just went to church. I was standing there in my underwear with a loaded gun pointed at the Remax lady.

My landlord had the place for sale and actually gave them the key.

No one was amused. As my lease was up, I was asked to move.

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post

No one was amused. As my lease was up, I was asked to move.

Rightfully so I would add. To me that sounds like a HUGE liability for a landlord. Not saying you were...but it sure LOOKED that way.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

just my opinion for me

I know that our reaction in this situation is dependent on what we've experienced, where we live, and overall mindset, training and other factors of the moment.... however to offer another opinion (what else are forums for), I don't think I would draw or point even if a person entered by house.

It is my house, and if I happen to leave the door unlocked and someone comes in I'm immediately going to be on my guard and probably have my hand on my weapon. (I'm assuming daylight/ evening time when I'm awake) I'd be issuing some strong commands and questions. Depending on how they respond at that point will quickly decide if I draw. If they appeared aggravated, or carrying a weapon, I'd draw. If its night and I'm asleep.. things get far more dicey.

For me, my thinking is as follows. There are very few good reasons why someone should be entering my house unannounced, but there are some and when I draw my weapon its because I plan on shooting to stop the threat.

- Perhaps its one of the college kids next door way drunk and very confused - but not a threat. (seen it happen)

- Maybe they have down-syndrome, autistic, or some other mental issues that make them confused but not a threat.

- Maybe someone is running from a threat and looking for open doors (unlikely but I've see less likely situations posted on the forum)

- Maybe someone is in a point of hysteria because they are hurt and needing help and not thinking clearly.

- Maybe its a punk (kid or adult) who is up to no good getting involved into some B&E. I'll still give them the chance to surrender before I blow them away.

I could continue with what-ifs and maybe's. For me, when my weapon is drawn someone is a hair's width from serious injury or death and I want to be very sure that is the best option left to me.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    In Japan, every stranger that came to my house opened the front door, entered the foyer, and shouted something like "Mrs. Mrs. is anybody home?"
    Nobody ever knocked.

The first time the salesman or whomever and I were equally scared. He didn't expect to see a gaigin and I certainly didn't expect to see someone enter the house. He beat feet. I decided it was someone looking for the Japanese people who lived at the house before. However, the next day at the office, I was told to expect visits like this all the time, because I lived in a Japanese village that had no other foreigners and still had the owners Japanese name carved in the stone gate post.

So I decided to have fun. The next time I came out with a bottle of sake and acted drunk - motioning for the guy to come on in. He fled. The next guy came while I was making my bed. I threw the sheet over my head, jumped into the hall and screamed at the top of my voice. That visitor screamed just as loud. I didn't see him, but he may have been a she based upon the tone of the scream.

When I told my secretary about my pranks, she gave me one of those sounds made when sternly sucking air in through your teeth. I already knew, in the short time I had been in Japan, that was not a good sound. It wasn't long before the secretary and a couple of department heads that could speak pretty good English came in and talked to me. Basically they didn't think it was a good idea. The visitors were doing everything according to custom in Japan. I was being rude, etc. Bottom line, I didn't have any more fun with visitors. Normally, when they saw I was not Japanese, they bow bow bowed themselves out. Later when I had learned enough language, I found out some were collecting for the TV, some were collecting for social security, and some turned out to be neighbors. One guy had a hand cart loaded with four or five cases of beer. When I told him to leave it, I got the same teeth suck wind sound. After much So Sorry, he took it down the street.

The entry doors I had were sliders without locks. The only thing I could have done was put a stick or something in the track. That probably would have caused some sort of international incident, so I just got used to it. Three years living in the village in a house with no locks and never lost a thing or had any problems. Glad I didn't kill anyone.

There was one guy I wanted to kill. Seems like my neighborhood contributions helped pay a fire crier to go around right after everyone was in bed asleep. This guy had two blocks of wood. He would beat the blocks together and then yell something at the top of his lungs. Apparently, I wasn't supposed to go outside and yell back. At least according to the secretary. Turned out he was saying something like make sure all your fires are out or similar. I had installed a Sears oil stove in my house that had a thermostat. I piped it into the chimney. So sometimes at night, my chimney would be active when everyone else had a cold chimney. The people at work finally figured out what was going on and wrote me a note to give him. He stopped lingering at my place. Still walked around at random at night. Irritating, but I didn't try to kill him. Good thing. With that job, he was probably able to take care of himself.

A friend of my wife went to the wrong house and the door was unlocked. She walked into the house and yelled for her friend while going from room to room . Thank god the home owner didn't shoot her. People do make mistakes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links