Would you present a business card...?

This is a discussion on Would you present a business card...? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I saw this on another forum and thought it was interesting and wanted to share what I read. Apparently, there is a business card out ...

Thread: Would you present a business card...?

Would you present a business card...?

I saw this on another forum and thought it was interesting and wanted to share what I read. Apparently, there is a business card out there that you can hand out to those businesses that have the "No Concealed Carry" or "No Firearms" signs posted on the door.

Here is the link for the card:

http://binaries.concealedcarryforum.com/ccwsign/1.pdf

I have heard some say that they have handed out cards to these places rather than shop there. My first thought upon reading the card was, "Awesome!". Then upon deeper reflection I find myself wondering if it is all that smart to announce by way of business card that you are carrying. I am all for not patronizing a store because of my political beliefs, but is it childish to call for the manager and hand him your card. What do ya'll think? Is it harmless or foolish?
    "Surely the preservation and enjoyment of the freedoms vouchsafed to us by the Constitution of the United States will require eternal vigilance even to the guarding of it with our lives. We must ever keep faith with our founding fathers by keeping faith with our Constitution."

2. Remove Ads

Harmless or foolish, it ought to get the message across.

Far from either harmless or foolish, it is beneficial. It lets the company know they are losing money every day they keep a sign in their door. It is the only way to force the issue and let them know there are more then 2 people in the city who are going out of their way to not shop at their business. Money talks, and yours just did.

More pertinent to the question, I could care less if some anti-gun idiot manager at a restaurant knows I am carrying a handgun.

I just printed a little stack for my wallet, after the new law in AZ allowing carry in bars and restaurants that serve alcohol these no carry signs are popping up everywhere.

VIP Member
    This topic has been covered many times here.

Having said that, I also have a stack of these cards. I haven't been South lately so I haven't had a chance to use them.
    Last edited by GunnyBunny; November 18th, 2009 at 07:39 PM.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Money talks...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Give them out when I get a chance....the sheep must be trained to bite.

It definately is harmless since no one gets injured by handing the manager the card.

Foolish, no, foolish would be standing there arguing with the manager and making a scene in the store about your beliefs.

By simply handing a card over you get your point across and let them know of potential business loss of revenue.

Do I do this, nope. Only one hospital and one credit union in our area are posted with legal signs that I have to pay attention to. When my credit union posted an invalid sign, I did take the time to write a fairly lenghty letter to the head of the CU explaining Texas law and what they were attempting to prohibit. There are no signs legal or otherwise on the CU now.

Would I do this if I lived in an area more prone to prohibit concealed carry. I don't know, I guess it would depend on how restrictive it got.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

On the other hand:
    In connection with our CHL permits a lot of us are strong believers in "Always conceal -- never tell." The back side of the card unquestionably eliminates the concealment element.

My opinion: You are not going to change the minds of people like this, and if we forced them to change solely on he basis of the threat of boycott, I doubt if I would want to do business with them anyway.

As to me, I don't feel an urge to go around carrying a card to tell the "anti's" that I am carrying. When my urge gets that bad, I may as well become a cop or re-join the Army [although stateside duty does not seem that safe anymore].
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    I actually love the idea, but let me toss out a caveat (and NO, I'm not joking). Be sure that you leave the gun elsewhere before you walk in to hand them the card. Seriously. You just never know. There could be a LEO in there who decides to "confirm" that you aren't carrying at the moment when you shouldn't be.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Administrator
    I think as long as its done in a professional and respectful manner, it is a good idea.
    It does make my blood curdle a bit when I see some of these cards with misspelled words or poor grammar. I can also see some goofs taking things to far or taking arguments up with people that don't really matter, only making fools of themselves and representing the rest of us poorly.
    "Just blame Sixto"

In TX I personally have never seen a legal sign on anything outside a hospital where I go yet
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

At the town's mental health building clinic, there is a sign at the door saying no wepons beyond this point, there is also a county sherriff stationed inside the building, this building contains other county offices so if you have business with any one of them you have to leave your gun in your car, I find this offensive,due to the fact that there has never been any incident's at the mental health clinic that I know or heard of ever.
    Last edited by REDTAIL; November 19th, 2009 at 06:43 AM. Reason: added lines

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by REDTAIL View Post
    At the town's mental health building clinic, there is a sign at the door saying no wepons beyond this point, there is also a county sherriff stationed inside the building, this building contains other county offices so if you have business with any one of them you have to leave your gun in your car, I find this offensive,due to the fact that there has never been any incident's at the mental health clinic that I know or heard of ever.
    due to the nature of the department, LEO that come to the psyc ward secure their mags seperate from their sidearm. Its just not smart to walk into a dept with a bunch of crazies with a firearm ready to rock n' roll.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I think the cards are kind of silly. Let's extrapolate anti-gun business and/or employees. Probably most businesses or at least some employees are going to be anti-gun at some level. Are there anti-gun people working at all appliance, vehicle, and most major manufacturing factories? Are there anti gun people working in restaurants, municipal water suppliers, and power plants? Hospitals? Probably yes. Inevitably your money will be spent on a product or service provided by an anti gun person every day. That money will end up as part of a paycheck for an anti gun person every day.

Sure, you have a choice not to spend where you do not want to and you may even force the business to close. Then the anti gun merchant and his/her employee(s) will collect unemployment compensation from a government institution filled with anti gun employees.

Life is too short to be in a lose-lose situation.

Links