power outtage - only my house (long)

This is a discussion on power outtage - only my house (long) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all. What would you have done in this situation? Last week, around 9 pm, the power went out...only to my home. I live alone ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: power outtage - only my house (long)

power outtage - only my house (long)

Hi all. What would you have done in this situation?

Last week, around 9 pm, the power went out...only to my home. I live alone in a rural area, however I can see some neighbors. None of them had lost power (like we all do sometimes...on the same grid). It was not bad weather.

I called PUD and no matter what I tried, only got recordings. I left the proper msg that my power was out. I had no way of knowing if/when they would deal with it that nite, as it was just my house.

It was very odd that only my house was out. It made me think of the possibility of someone cutting the power to break into the home. I felt kind of dumb thinking that, but could not ignore the possibility.

I have livestock, and the barn is near the powerlines. However I did not feel safe going outside to check and see if any lines were down. And not knowing this, I also couldnt let the dogs out. (I spoke with neighbors and they would have come over if asked but I didnt)

Unable to find ANY non-emergency police #, after an hour I called 911 and explained that it was not an emergency but wondered if anyone could do a drive by? No. Did they have any advice? No, but she'd have an officer call me.

Officer called about 15 mins later and said that if it was my house ONLY, it had to be a breaker box issue, to check all those. (Later found out from PUD that he was wrong). That was his advice. Period.

**So I was reading by candlelight in my bedroom, 9mm M&P loaded and ready as usual on the nightstand. However I wasnt sure if I should go to sleep if I had no way of knowing if an intruder was waiting for the lights to go out. I figured I'd have to stay alert all nite or until PUD came.**

What should I have done to better protect myself here? Should I have gone outside to check the property? Was I silly to hole up with my gun?

(PUD came around midnite and fixed power. It was a 'broken cutout' on the pole...cop was wrong)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Hi all. What would you have done in this situation?

Last week, around 9 pm, the power went out...only to my home. I live alone in a rural area, however I can see some neighbors. None of them had lost power (like we all do sometimes...on the same grid). It was not bad weather.

I called PUD and no matter what I tried, only got recordings. I left the proper msg that my power was out. I had no way of knowing if/when they would deal with it that nite, as it was just my house.

It was very odd that only my house was out. It made me think of the possibility of someone cutting the power to break into the home. I felt kind of dumb thinking that, but could not ignore the possibility.

I have livestock, and the barn is near the powerlines. However I did not feel safe going outside to check and see if any lines were down. And not knowing this, I also couldnt let the dogs out. (I spoke with neighbors and they would have come over if asked but I didnt)

Unable to find ANY non-emergency police #, after an hour I called 911 and explained that it was not an emergency but wondered if anyone could do a drive by? No. Did they have any advice? No, but she'd have an officer call me.

Officer called about 15 mins later and said that if it was my house ONLY, it had to be a breaker box issue, to check all those. (Later found out from PUD that he was wrong). That was his advice. Period.

**So I was reading by candlelight in my bedroom, 9mm M&P loaded and ready as usual on the nightstand. However I wasnt sure if I should go to sleep if I had no way of knowing if an intruder was waiting for the lights to go out. I figured I'd have to stay alert all nite or until PUD came.**

What should I have done to better protect myself here? Should I have gone outside to check the property? Was I silly to hole up with my gun?

(PUD came around midnite and fixed power. It was a 'broken cutout' on the pole...cop was wrong)
    First, get a big LED Maglite Flash Light with 4 D size batteries. It is strong and adjustable.

Second, Invest in a generator. I live in the city but with ice storms in the winter and wind storms in the summer, you never know when the power is going to go out or for how long.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Well I am very prepared for power outtages...they happen all the time. No worries except that this one was my house ONLY.

And I dont want a generator...too noisy for one thing. But I'm set up pretty well without one anyway.

In this situation, a generator would cover any intruder noise and I'd still need to check for downed lines if possible or to clear the property. I still wouldnt be able to sleep I dont think, not knowing why it was just my place.

AT my house.... I'ld walk out the back door and start the generator I have as a backup.

I lock all my power disconnect boxes and have a cell phone. You never know what can happen when the power goes out especially if you live in a rural area. Glad it turned out OK for you all. Having a gun at a time like this can do a lot to ease your fears.

Smart money is to remain indoors, armed, with the doors locked. Retreating to the bedroom was smart, since you only have to defend against someone coming through one door and one window. Plus, if the bedroom door is lockable then you have put even more barriers between you and a possible attacker.

As for being silly, of course not. You live alone in a rural area, you're the only one to lose power among your neighbors, and you can't get an explanation from the power company. All kinds of warning bells would be going off in my head at that point.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    I'd say there was nothing wrong with being holed up. That's probably safer than walking around outside if you are worried of a threat.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Being concerned about a home invasion initially is smart. Being armed, staying inside and using caution are all good things. If no one came breaking in any windows after 15 min, I would obviously go about fixing the problem.

Having the police non emergency number handy, along with utilities, city offices, neighbors... are all useful. There is probably a specific power company "report a down power line #"

Now is a good time to find them all... put them on the fridge.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

We live in the country and have endured 5 days without power. We now have a 10,000 watt generator that plugs into the breaker box and can power the whole house, including the well which is one of the more important items.

Being able to defend your house is important, but so is being able to take care of yourself and family when the power may not come on for a week or more.
    M&P 9 and 9c
    Ruger LCP
    Remington 810 20 gauge

It is a good idea to know exactly how utilities are distributed in your area, what transformers, switches feed what properties and where all of these are. Also a good idea be aware of and to alert utilities companies any place limbs or trees are in decline and could be a problem.
    You acted well.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

At nine o'clock at night I would have just went to sleep, the freezers would hold until morning. Then I would have fired up the generator.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I have a propane fuled generator that works automatically. Power goes out and 20 second later the lights come back on. I am in the country and the power can go out for days at a time. I need something to circulate the heat from the wood stove.

Thanks to all.

I did call the proper number for emergency power outtages, but because it was not a manned line (all automatic) it gave no idea if and when the crew was coming.

I remember in the past trying to get a 24 hr non-emergency police number...it was like pulling teeth. I should try again tho.

As for the generator...I prefer not to get one. Too noisy for one thing and in this situation, I would definitely not wanted to have that noise masking any intrusions. I have been 8 days without power...have wood stove, candles, abililty to cook, many other means of dealing with it and it doesnt really worry me.

The main concern was as the only home in the area without power, I wanted to be prudent, but not paranoid :-) Normally I sleep fine when the power's out but I have a feeling that I would not have that nite. It would have been me, the dogs, and the 9mm in the bedroom, too concerned to sleep.

I have a generator in the shed. Here on the east coast it comes in quite handy. I would not have it any other way. Most of my neighbors have them as well.

Oh man, do you have to read some SHTF scenarios and planning guides.
    The lights went out and that was a problem?
    What are you going to do if the lights go off for a few months?

Stay armed...plan ahead, a few months ahead...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links