Shoot in the back

Shoot in the back

This is a discussion on Shoot in the back within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My house is laid out with the master bedroom on one end and the kids rooms on the other end (up some stairs). If someone ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoot in the back

Shoot in the back

My house is laid out with the master bedroom on one end and the kids rooms on the other end (up some stairs).

If someone broke down my front door and headed toward my kids rooms, if they refuse to follow my orders to stop, can I shoot them in the back to prevent them from getting to my kids, even though they are not immediately physically threatening me or my family?

We do NOT have the castle doctrine in Minnesota.

According to Minnesota Statute 609.065 - "The intentional taking of the life of another is not authorized...except when necessary in resisting or preventing an offense which the actor reasonably believes exposes the actor or another to great bodily harm or death, or preventing the commission of a felony in the actor's place of abode."

Translation:
    It's up to the Jury.

Can you articulate why you shot the person in the back?

I'm not saying that shooting someone in the back is wrong, amd I may even be forced to do it myself, given the nature of my work. The thing is, I will have to be able, even if not working, to articulate why I did so, and was correct in doing so.

This is something you will want to talk with a local attorney about, as well as study for yourself by getting more and perhaps better training than a CCW Course will teach you. Once you recognize the responsibility entrusted upon you, as a parent, spouse, loved one, CCW Holder or LEO you should also recognize that you have obligations that go with those responsibilities. That's where training comes in as well as research through magazine articles, videos, forum discussions and such.

Biker

If it was me, damn the judge, damn the jury. Protect the kids.
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaDuba View Post
    According to Minnesota Statute 609.065 - "The intentional taking of the life of another is not authorized...except when necessary in resisting or preventing an offense which the actor reasonably believes exposes the actor or another to great bodily harm or death, or preventing the commission of a felony in the actor's place of abode."

Translation:
    It's up to the Jury.
    Is burglary a felony in Minnesota? The statute clearly says you can use deadly force to prevent the commission of a felony in your home...It also states, if you fear great bodily harm or death, to your kids, you're authorized to use deadly force...

Translation:
    Justifiable shooting...No jury needed.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    If it was me, damn the judge, damn the jury. Protect the kids.

+1. I wouldn't take any chances there either.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

You're in my home without invitation?
    You're headed towards my grandchildren's side of the house?
    You have your back to me and refuse 'given orders' to freeze?
    I guess you're never going to see the lead coming.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

How could a person live with them self if they failed to protect there family from an intruder because they might get in trouble with the law. I would think that any grand jury would no bill the case and if it went to court a regular jury would not find guilty. Even if all went bad and you were found guilty of defending your home and family and you have to pay the full price. One's family is worth price IMO

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I'm sorry, but when it comes to the safety of my child, I wouldn't give 2 ****s about the law. I wouldn't give it a second thought. Obviously several non-violent attempts would be used, but if a violence HAD to occur, it's going to be against the criminal, not my children or myself.

That being said, I'm glad I'm in Texas.

Didn't I just read where a LEO is a hero for stopping a shooter and he shot him in the back.
    I can envision a lot of scenarios where the wound is in the back. Let's say a burglar swings a machete at you and his momentum carries him around. Do you wait until he recovers to fire? No.

I agree. I would shoot him.

That crazy post about the ex-felon, family relative picking up the gun from the CCW holder after he got knocked to the ground and the ex-felon shooting the BG got me thinking. Additionally, we were at a town event (lighting of the town Christmas tree) last night and they came over the loudspeaker saying a 5 year old boy was missing. This was a crowd of 500+ people. It took 15-20 minutes to find him even with all the LEO and Fire on-site and announcing his name over the loud speaker.

Got me thinking, what if I saw my kids being carried off or holding the hand of some stranger walking away from the crowd, I would run and shoot, that morfed into what if someone kicked in the door of my house.

Thanks!

2 between the shoulder blades...

I'd drop him like a bad love affair. If Minnesota doesn't have Castle Doctrine they need it. In Colorado we call it our "Make My Day Law".

"OMG, why'd you shoot him in the back?"

"His back was to me."

Maverick: what if the person holding your child's hand was just trying to get to a slightly quieter place (away from the crowd) or a cop to help your lost child find/call you? You might shoot a friend or relative you didn't recognize from behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick68 View Post
    I agree. I would shoot him.

That crazy post about the ex-felon, family relative picking up the gun from the CCW holder after he got knocked to the ground and the ex-felon shooting the BG got me thinking. Additionally, we were at a town event (lighting of the town Christmas tree) last night and they came over the loudspeaker saying a 5 year old boy was missing. This was a crowd of 500+ people. It took 15-20 minutes to find him even with all the LEO and Fire on-site and announcing his name over the loud speaker.

Got me thinking, what if I saw my kids being carried off or holding the hand of some stranger walking away from the crowd, I would run and shoot, that morfed into what if someone kicked in the door of my house.

Thanks!

Be very careful about shooting some stranger who has a child by the hand and the child is crying or acting up. This could be a father or mother taking a child to car to change them or a child in need of discipline by a parent.

That said confronting the adult with the child in a case you described would be OK IMO. Shooting him may well be out and out murder of parent or responsible party with child in toe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links