Well, used my Firearm in force other day. LONG

This is a discussion on Well, used my Firearm in force other day. LONG within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My mother-in-law has told me, saying she has seen three more dogs out on her land. They got into the trash in which she was ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Well, used my Firearm in force other day. LONG

My mother-in-law has told me, saying she has seen three more dogs out on her land. They got into the trash in which she was building up to bring into town...she's only armed with a .22 pistol...she is worried.

She and my father-in-law had more arms but has sold them off to help pay for medical bills, and other expenses etc.

I'm at a state of ponder....take care of them ourselves...there would be three of us neighbor, uncle, and I . Or call and have somebody come out a take care of them. Either way they are going to be brought down.

Neighbor says there has been an increase of "dumping" of dogs as of late. He owns 10acres next to them and has had to shoot a few last year.

This was told to me today while visiting them, and doing my patrol...I didn't see any sign of them though. If we decide to take care of them I will be staying there a few days over Thanksgiving.

2. Remove Ads

V10
    We had a feral dog problem in Boerne, Texas years ago. At first we tried calling animal control but they really weren't much help... ended up having to pick them off ourselves.

My father had to put down our neighbors shepherd when it got out and went after the 2 youngest kids (4 and 6). Neighbor was surprisingly understanding, saying he would have done the same had it been his grand-daughters.

I love dogs, I run a dog daycare, but if I come across one with the intention of harming myself or another, pet, feral, or otherwise.... i'll do what i gotta do.
    Sorry 'bout that... He's trained to attack shopping carts for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by V10 View Post
    We had a feral dog problem in Boerne, Texas years ago. At first we tried calling animal control but they really weren't much help... ended up having to pick them off ourselves.

My father had to put down our neighbors shepherd when it got out and went after the 2 youngest kids (4 and 6). Neighbor was surprisingly understanding, saying he would have done the same had it been his grand-daughters.

I love dogs, I run a dog daycare, but if I come across one with the intention of harming myself or another, pet, feral, or otherwise.... i'll do what i gotta do.
    I agree, you have to do what you have to do. I never figured out why on TV and movies people with guns will let dogs attack them rather than shooting at the dog. Don't get me wrong I love dogs, cats, and all kinds of pets. I have a dog and 2 cats myself. I get very mad when someone abuses an animal. I get really mad when I find where someone has shot a deer only to remove the hams and/or antlers and leaves the rest lying there. I hate to even hit a possum or squirrel in my car. On the other hand, I'd never let one get the best of me when I have the means to protect myself. We're getting a lot of wild animals moving back into our area. We've seen several bears, bobcats, and other animals of late. It's getting so you need to carry for the 4 legged animals more than the 2 legged ones.
    G23 w/GTL21, G27, Ruger LCP, & Taurus 617 SS
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Member
    VT Class of '96

Doesn't owning/carrying a firearm assume to one degree or another that one is willing to use said firearm in one's hour of need? In other words, if you aren't willing to shoot it, or you don't think you'll ever have to shoot it, then don't carry at all.
    Now, being willing to shoot does make one a cold blooded robot. Frogbones I'm sure can tell you that from the time that first dog charged to the time his finger depressed the trigger, not a lot of emotional or spiritual reflection was going on in his mind. It was time to react, and he did what he had to do to stay alive. The fact that he couldn't stop talking about the incident afterwards tells me, at least, that he is a normal, well-adjusted male. He was trying to process every moment, and, believe me, when you're processing a traumatic event like the one Frogbones went through (or worse, right Marines?), you experience the full spectrum of emotions and "what if"s. He'll never forget it. We can not kill and remain unchanged.
    You made the right choice, Frogbones, and I'da loved to have had you in my foxhole any damn day.
    "I believe that's my stapler."

NRA Member for Life
    "I can not, for all the Stars in Heaven, find one instance or occasion or a living example of a woman who gave birth to anything but another human being, regardless of the period of time that baby was in the womb".

I too am a dog lover, but those canines needed to be dispatched...nice shooting!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    You guys are misunderstanding me. If the incident occurred as described, I don't deny the shoot was justified. I would just like to have seen a HINT of regret for HAVING to do it.

Whatever. Guess I should become as blasé as everyone else.

BTW, I completely understand dog attacks. I HAVE been attacked. By a Rot. Before I had an HCP and could carry.

I also was certified as a K9 handler when I worked security.

No further comment from me on this, as I'm clearly in the minority.
    The real sadness here is that someone could abandon dogs and leave them to become feral predators for survival. Thankfully I have never had to shoot a dog but left without a choice I would have to do it. It isn't something that would make me happy. I'm a dog lover too Arko. I understand what you're saying.

I know what feral is, but is this primarily a warmer climate thing? I have never seen or heard of one in the northern states.

Update

Well spent several days out on thier land looking for the other dogs that were seen. Our team didn't see any sign or trace of other dogs about....I guess that's a good and bad thing. One (good) I/we didn't have to shoot dogs....again. Two (bad) they could be out there and possibly be a danger to another unsuspecting person or pet.

I will keep an ever vigil mindset when doing my weekly patrol out there though.

You guys are misunderstanding me. If the incident occurred as described, I don't deny the shoot was justified. I would just like to have seen a HINT of regret for HAVING to do it.

Whatever. Guess I should become as blasé as everyone else.

BTW, I completely understand dog attacks. I HAVE been attacked. By a Rot. Before I had an HCP and could carry.

I also was certified as a K9 handler when I worked security.

No further comment from me on this, as I'm clearly in the minority.
    He took the time and effort to bury them. Obviously that shows respect.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Feral or not, technically its your land, and you hold the decision over what happens on it. Especially since you were charged by a dog known to be aggressive. Shouldve gave'em a deeper grave though, coz now you'll attract more ferals, coyotes, raccoons etc.

Very good choice in having the rifle with you saved you from some up close and personal action with a pistol.

Ferals are a bad thing, glad you took care of a few when you had the chance.
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Where I live in Connecticut is about 15mins from Bridgeport by highway. Fairly big city. If you told me you seen a Coyote in our town 5 years ago, I would have told you to put the pipe down lol... I've never seen or heard coyotes in this part of the state my whole life. It was a quiet little cow town until 15 years ago when all the Yuppies moved in and now you can't shoot anywheres outdoors at all. Now all I hear is Coyotes allllllll night long right outside my front door. I carry just to get my mail and in condition yellow at all times.You just never know what will attack you anywheres or anytime.
    Proud Member of the NRA

Nice Job... what else could you have done other than be a victim of a dog attack and have to endure surgeries and rabbies vaccinations?

Glad your safe - scary situation regardless of the predator!

Im a dog lover too, saying that being LEO in a small
    rural community I have dispatched many dogs, horses, deer
    cows and hogs.

Its never been easy for me but it has to be done and
    the larger animals never went to wast, Lion Country Safari
    is 80 mile to the south of us and they would send a rollback
    to pick them up.

Good job Frog, and best wishes for you family.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links