Well, used my Firearm in force other day. LONG

This is a discussion on Well, used my Firearm in force other day. LONG within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Y eah, I love dogs and most all animals for that matter, but when you’re attacked, it’s a different story. Being a bit more domesticated, ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Well, used my Firearm in force other day. LONG

VIP Member
    Yeah, I love dogs and most all animals for that matter, but when you’re attacked, it’s a different story. Being a bit more domesticated, I never heard the term ‘feral’ until I rescued a kitten in the road when it shredded my hand as I picked it up.

Back on point, I always try to use words or terms like’ assailant, aggressor or attacker when I write. For the sheep among us, they often assume we’re all out to shoot some wayward or misguided person who deserves our compassion and love.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick68 View Post
    I know what feral is, but is this primarily a warmer climate thing? I have never seen or heard of one in the northern states.
    Feral Dogs Rule Detroit
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

These dogs were probably pulling down deer and other wild life. When dogs are running free like that with no collar or tags they are a danger to every one and should be put down. nice shooting.

Thanks .

I haven't had any more sign of such activity, though I'm prepeared everytime I walkabout. BUT there is a group of goats wondering around there that we have to shoo off sometimes.....kinda funny.

i would have done the same. great job

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick68 View Post
    I know what feral is, but is this primarily a warmer climate thing? I have never seen or heard of one in the northern states.
    "Feral" just means wild. Wild occurs everywhere. But, yes, generally, a given species will tend to thrive in certain environments. The species we tend to hear about going "feral" are ones that humans have transplanted to livable environments, such as the temperate/tropic zones. Wouldn't surprise me that many of such species would find it tougher to survive in colder climes.

Either way, feral dogs can survive pretty much wherever humans easily survive. And, really, wolves do nicely in cold zones.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Yeah I love dogs too, even though I'm a cat owner now since our good friend "Hershey" died a few years back...but I would have shot the wild dogs too. Or at least attempted to, heh, I doubt I'm anywhere near as good a shot as the OP. And with the adrenaline rush and the dogs moving, and just having unslung the rifle and brought it to bear? Fuggedaboutit... I mean I've made some pretty good shots on deer up north (puffing up chest), but usually they were fairly stationary - and not looking to lunch on my guts.

Anyhoo this article is a bit dated (1998); I don't think it's quite that bad here in Detroit now. Not really sure about the city proper though. In my neighborhood, about a half mile west of Detroit's western border (i.e., still the "city" by almost anyone's definition), a lot of people have dogs, Rotts and Pits especially. None feral that I've ever seen, and I've lived here for 30+ years. Nonetheless it sure is a sphincter-tightener when one of them hops the fence and runs about before the (mostly very responsible) owner(s) rounds them up. Those dogs the Rotts, are just massive and the Pit Bulls are scarier yet.

I carry my 3913 (9mm) whenever I'm out of the house, but more for the human(oid) predators. I think it would be useful against a big dog, but not as useful as my (only other) handgun, a 4" Ruger GP100 (.357 mag). I don't carry the Ruger, though, because of the bulk. Probably stupid, I know, but I can just hit things a lot better with the 9mm, I mean I'm not former military or anything with thousands of hours of training.

I do have an SKS also, love it, but they frown on carrying that sort of hardware around here!! Understandably I suppose, since there are probably a thousand people or more well within its range here...
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

VIP Member
    I didn't post that as an affront to Detroit in particular, or as a statement concerning the current condition there; I was simply pointing out that feral dogs thrive in colder climes just as well as they do in warmer one. As further evidence, we had a pretty serious feral dog problem in Afghanistan (which has some pretty darned cold winters) and in Iraq...dogs are where people are, period.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

i've had too shoot several wild dogs on our farm in GA. never a good experience. glad you're okay

we have people who drive out here to dump their unwanted pets, usually dogs. After a while, they become feral and can become dangerous to the family and livestock. That leaves me as execusioner to do what these irresponsible pet owners FAIL to do, put their animal down. I have done so many that anymore, it's just another chore to be done and I do not have a problem with it.
    "Brains before Bullets"

I carry every time I go into the woods on my 88 acres of property. I've only had to shoot once, and just shooting near the dog(he was wearing a collar and tags) ran him off. My second shot was going to be a kill shot, but it wasn't necessary. Still, I'm glad I was armed.

I used to be the Land Manager on a bombing range and actually got to take pictures of 3 feral dogs cornering and eventually killing a coyote. Apparently, that was the first time that was recorded and I got "published" for it.
    Later that pack grew to 6 dogs, so one day after work I took my AR-15, .44 mag and and predator call out to try to get some shooting done. I didn't call anything in and was kind of glad. Sitting out there alone, sunset coming on, trying to lure in a pack of dogs was a little tense!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links