Burglars fear residents more than the police

This is a discussion on Burglars fear residents more than the police within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Imagine that! Burglars fear residents more than the police Knoxville News Sentinel Burglars fear residents more than the police By Staff Reports Monday, November 16, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burglars fear residents more than the police

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar

Imagine that!

Burglars fear residents more than the police Knoxville News Sentinel

By Staff Reports

Monday, November 16, 2009

Today burglars fear the homeowner much more than the police. They know the police cannot shoot them for crimes against property and cannot chase them if they flee in a vehicle. When was the last time you heard of the Supreme Court handing down a ruling in favor of the victim and their property or more authority for the police to apprehend?

Burglars are familiar with how the criminal justice system works to their benefit from slap-on-wrist judges who hand out probation five or six times to sympathetic jurors who view a burglar’s drug addiction, abusive father or alcoholic mother as a valid excuse. They are also aware of jail overcrowding and budget cuts which lessens punishments for their crime.

Hardly a day goes by that a team of psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, behaviorists, criminologists, etc. aren’t doing Q & A surveys in prisons and jails seeking answers to antisocial behavior.

The most profound and undisputed survey I reviewed was asked of convicted burglars by an FBI behaviorist:

1. Would you B&E (break and enter) a home if you thought it occupied?

A. No — 88 percent (the other 12 percent are hard-core burglars).

2. Would you B&E a home if you knew the owner was home and maybe had a gun?

A. No — 95 percent (the other 5 percent are called cat burglars)

3. Would you B&E a home if you knew the owner was home and did, in fact, have a gun?

A. No — 100 percent (I told you they fear the homeowner).

No other survey I studied in my 27 years of law enforcement in Miami Metro Dade County did I see a 100 percent, not even for a Mother’s Day holiday.

Edward F. Davis

Knoxville
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

2. Remove Ads

Send them results to the Brady Bunch ;-)

H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Good to hear. But this would bring us back to the oft-discussed top of do you put a "This house protected by Smith & Wesson" sign on your window. Otherwise the criminal won't know.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

That's the way it's supposed to work. There should've also ask them if they would B/E in the home of a declared Brady Buncher, regardless if they were home or not...
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

These are the correct questions ask to the correct people.

I have considered posting a sign that my home is protected by individuals with firearms (Me, Wife) but I cant get away from wondering if that would actually encourage some criminals because they would want to steal them when we are not home
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." -Suzanna Gratia Hupp

VIP Member
    100% fear an armed home owner more than the police.

I certainly HOPE so. That's the whole point of Castle Doctrine and similar laws allowing wide latitude for action during a home invasion.

They are supposed to fear armed home owners.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    100% fear an armed home owner more than the police.

I certainly HOPE so. That's the whole point of Castle Doctrine and similar laws allowing wide latitude for action during a home invasion.

They are supposed to fear armed home owners.
    Stated better, I could not.

An armed society is a polite society.
    Dirtbags ought to fear normal citizens.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That's the way it should be.
    Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

you break in my house you better be wearing depends,I can deal with a little blood but you soil my carpet and I'm not gonna be happy
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member

Dying is messy

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    you break in my house you better be wearing depends,I can deal with a little blood but you soil my carpet and I'm not gonna be happy
    I'm afraid you'll get more than a little blood and probably other stuff oozing out of the BG.

Get rid of the carpet and put down vinyl, or use ceramic flooring with a good grout and stone sealer. It cleans up better. :)

Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    ...But this would bring us back to the oft-discussed top of do you put a "This house protected by Smith & Wesson" sign on your window. Otherwise the criminal won't know.
    If the BGs (and I don't mean the disco group ) would actually become productive members of society, none of this would be necessary. Not that I'm the first person to ever have this occur to him/her, either. That said, a sign either like the one mentioned above or one that says "We don't call 911" (while certainly novel and worth lots of "cool points") would probably only serve as an "invitation" to those members of society who feel an obligation to see if what the sign says is true.
    / / / / pkv / / / /
    "There are three kinds of people in the world: those who learn from the mistakes of others, those who learn from their own mistakes, and those who feel compelled to urinate on the electric fence." -- Unknown

How about a sign just inside the entrance;

If you are in this house uninvited, you are officially notified that the occupants of this house are in fear of their life, and by (insert state castle doctrine law here) you have forfeited your life to any means we see fit. Prepare yourself, and please go stand on the plastic sheeting to your right.

Si usted está en esta casa no convidada, le notifican oficialmente que los inquilinos de esta casa están en miedo de su vida, y por (insert state castle doctrine law here) usted han perdido su vida a cualquier medio que veamos ajuste. Prepárese, y vaya por favor soporte en cubrir plástico a la su derecha
    Even better would be an audio recording tripped my motion sensors hooked into the alarm system.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar

repeating it in spanish is great...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links