Unarmed man charging at you...

This is a discussion on Unarmed man charging at you... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Fellow DCers, This is a scenario that we all dread but I wanted to learn what most of you think. I believe there was a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unarmed man charging at you...

Fellow DCers,

This is a scenario that we all dread but I wanted to learn what most of you think. I believe there was a previous thread with something similar but here we go.

I was with my wife and baby walking back to your car in the Walmart parking lot at night. I went by a group of guys that were checking us out. I felt danger and changed direction... Guys started to curse me and my family.

I thought: What would happend if one of them charged me unarmed?

We all know what would happen if any of them are armed or it becomes a situation of multiple assailants BUT, what if just one of them threatened you? Would you risk a physical confrontation before drawing your weapon? What happens if you get knocked to the ground or separated from your weapon in a scuffle leaving your family vulnerable?
    If you drew your weapon and the person does not stop, would it warrant shooting? Would it be justifiable self defense?

If he is charging you and you feel like he is able and willing to cause you great bodily harm, draw. Especially with family around you to protect you. It only takes 1 good hit from a BG to keep you from protecting yourself or your family.
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar

^^^ and don't look back
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Any fight you are in is a gun fight because you have a gun. If the BG overcomes you physically you may lose your weapon. How do you know the rest of the pack isn't going to jump once you go down or beat the first guy?

If I felt that myself and/or my family were in harm, I would draw.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    IANAL. In Utah, you cannot draw your weapon due to a fist fight unless there is a disparity of force. Even then, you may be labeled as the aggressor just because you have a gun. In this situation it would be best to avert the situation either physically (walk away) or verbally and not get into the fight at all. If a fist fight ensues, you either fight back "mano-e-mano" or run. If the whole clan gangs up on you, now you have disparity of force. At my age, fist fights are not a resonable option. I would do whatever I had to so as not to get into one in the first place.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Hey Jnev...welcome to the Forum!

Agreed, if someone charges me, I have no way of telling that his intentions WERE NOT to hurt/kill my family and I. You'd better believe I'd protect myself.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Would I risk physical confrontation, well that depends on the individual. More than likely I would attempt to put something in between my family and the other guy. That would be me in between the two, then I would attempt to put something in between myself and the other guy as well. That might or might not be my gun.

In Texas you can use the threat of deadly force to stop someone that is threatening you, and it is not classified as deadly force.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

If that were the case I would draw. If he continued to charge, he is attempting harm and will be dropped! Just a hint I learned in class. Dont talk to police first, but your lawyer. You may say something they can twist around to through you away! Always talk to your lawyer first....

How do you know he is charging you and not your child? How do you know the first kick wont be to his or her head? With small kids around all bets are off if the other part pursues aggression.

If you can walk away, distance yourself from the threat then great and that's your best option. Unfortunately the aggressor has more control in the situation as you are tied to your family so many of your options are gone from a defense standpoint, i.e. run away, fist fight, etc

With my family around things are much different. 4 of us cannot flee like one of us could. I also carry pepper spray. They will get marinated in pepper sauce first if they refuse to stop. If they keep coming they have escalated the force continuum and and I will do the same. Remember that you can use the shopping cart to keep separation as well.

V10
    Multiple assailants with a wife and child around... draw. No two ways about it.

If I was alone with one, maybe two assailants, it depends. If the assailants got a weapon... draw. If he's strolling over like some kind of thug with clear intent but not foreseeable plan of attack... I'd probably draw. If he's running at me like some kind of moronic bulldozer... obviously intending on grabbing, tackling, pushing, or throwing a crazy John Wayne style punch at me.... combat jujitsu might kick in first. There's nothing easier to defend against than a top heavy force with no breaks. I'd rather draw afters he's come to a stop on the ground than have him knock my gun out of my hands even after putting one in him. IMO
    Sorry 'bout that... He's trained to attack shopping carts for some reason.

VIP Member
    Now is the time for less than lethal force, pepper spray to stop the attacker. If it does not stop him or his friends decide to join in, the odds have changed and you do what you have to do to keep your family from harm.

First of all, unless you are in the WW parking lot of a nudist camp, you have no way of knowing that he is really unarmed.
    You say that you have already been 'called out or cursed at'...that would get my attention and prepare me for defensive action. When I am charged, I immediately try to move away and place objects between us, give a command to stop the attack (directions given could not be included here ). If the charge/attack continues...so do my defensive actions .
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by glock45 View Post
    Fellow DCers,

This is a scenario that we all dread but I wanted to learn what most of you think. I believe there was a previous thread with something similar but here we go.

I was with my wife and baby walking back to your car in the Walmart parking lot at night. I went by a group of guys that were checking us out. I felt danger and changed direction... Guys started to curse me and my family.

I thought: What would happend if one of them charged me unarmed?
    You act surprised at first, and let them come. Then at the last minute, you tactfully move out of the direct path and facilitate their continued movement in the original direction by physical means necessary to point their head to pavement with the help of Newton and the laws of gravity.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links